Why Do JW`s still use the Name Jehovah ,when they admitted in the Aid Book that it is not the correct pronunciation of his name ?

by smiddy3 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Isn`t that an admittion that they don`t have the "Truth" ? about GOd ?

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

They usually make the point that the pronunciation is uncertain. Even if they adopted Yahweh it might be “wrong”. More recently, they have pointed to George Buchanan who argues for a pronunciation much closer to Jehovah than Yahweh. As in previous discussions, I question what “wrong” means, given that names are pronounced differently in different languages and at different times. It likely that even during Bible times there were differences in how names were pronounced over times, including the divine name. The Samaritans said Yahweh whereas second temple Jews said Yaho.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

It’s about setting themselves apart from the mainstream; it always has been.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Imagine the cost of re-branding the name.

• ThomasMore
    ThomasMore

God had over 1300 pages (depending on the translation you use) to set the record straight about the pronunciation of his name, and many other things that people argue over endlessly, yet he left it open for different expressions and that is where we are 2000 years later.

Could it be that he actually does not care whether anyone pronounces it correctly? Maybe it is so complex that he doesn't expect us to be able to pronounce it. I don't claim to know. However, the Greek Scriptures don't contain it in any of the oldest manuscripts known - is that an indication of something? We are not perplexed about Yeshua (Jesus). Just my 2 cents...

• Beth Sarim
    Beth Sarim

'Jehovah' could be what's kind of an 'emotional investment'. What makes the sheeple to feel different, unique.

But yeah, the cost of rebranding the name would be astronomical, prohibitive.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Why does it matter how the name is pronounced ? Why does it matter that we try to reconstruct a name that we can never be sure as to what vowels were in it, or in which order ? YHWH.

Honestly, WHY is any of that IMPORTANT ?

We don't pronounce hardly any of the Biblical names as the original writers and their readers did. We don't transliterate the spelling of those names. We use anglicised versions that are recognised as belonging to the person we refer to, so, Jesus, Jonathan, Mary etc. So, with the Divine Name, for once, I agree with the J.W's, an anglicised spelling, with our very own pronunciation, is fine by me, people know EXACTLY of which god we speak.

• stan livedeath
    stan livedeath

i dont suppose the empty space in the sky could give a shit.

• Rattigan350
    Rattigan350

God Gave his name to Moses and other in Hebrew and the closest we have is Yahweh.

But if he were to give it to people today, he would give it in English and that would be Jehovah.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Rattigan, sorry to say both your contentions are wrong. Yahweh is recognised as a poor but possible suggestion.

The "Jehovah" version is constructed by using the vowels from Adonai, how does that make ANY sense ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit