No brain, No Life -- says JW Professor Rajesh Kalaria

by cognisonance 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• cognisonance
    cognisonance
    So continuing my review of the current bull shit my family in this cult are subjected to I found this article about Professor Rajesh Kalaria, a JW since 1973 and a scientist who has studied the human brain for 40 years (hmm... so he converted into this cult very early in his career it seems).

Anyway I also found this JW Broadcasting piece about him where he says:

“And brain is what we are; what I am, what you are. No brain, no life. It’s as simple as that.”

First, articles like this annoy me. JWs go and cherry pick a few scientists that agree with them, always ones who are JWs themselves which can't get more biased than that! It gives an impression to my family that reasonable scientists can reject evolution and say it doesn't make sense. As a scientist myself, I fear they are subjected to a vary narrow and misleading view, but don't realize the logically fallacious cherry picking going on in articles and videos like this. But I digress... (Another digression: they were not doing these videos when I was a JW. It seems their coercive persuasion techniques have bumped up a notch!).

The point of this post is this JW makes an interesting statement. He says, no brain, no life. The brain is what we are. This being the case how then does he (or the JWs leadership that endorses his view) reconcile that with their belief in a resurrection. If the brain is gone, then the person must be gone, for "the brain is what we are." If they think their god would recreate a perfect copy of their brain upon resurrection, then what would prevent him in theory from creating 2 copies? These would be copies not the original. Thus a resurrected brain would not be you.

I'm amazed that they can't see the paradox here. Such strange beliefs and mental gymnastics required to maintain JW beliefs while knowing that once the brain dies, that's it. The person is gone forever (there can be no resurrection). Their hope they hold on so tightly to is such a flimsy idea if they actually think about it.
  • Half banana
    Half banana

Yes I agree Cognisonance, any prolonged investigaton into the matter of mass resurrection rings hollow and improbable in the extreme.

But hang on a moment, the WT make out that the worldly wisdom is not an authority to be trusted, academic teachings are derided and dismissed....... unless that is, it belongs to a JW and they can make capital out of it to impress other JWs.

The Watchtower always uses two sets of scales.

• sir82
    sir82

I'm amazed that they can't see the paradox here.

If you don't think about it, you don't have to worry about paradoxes.

Most JWs I know are incapable of reasoning for more than about 10 seconds on any topic.

Sort of like "Dory" from the Finding Nemo movies.

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

Yes! I have thought along similar lines myself.

For the JW version of a "resurrection" of the exact person to be possible genetic material would be needed to be saved not just a "memory" of the person. So even if Jehovah has access to all the genetical material ever created the so-called "resurrected" would be a clone of the original.

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

The WTBorg Inc. seem to have little in-depth comprehension of what life is and how the brain relates. For those who may be interested in a more serious evaluation:

Part 1

Part 2

• steve2
    steve2

Has he studied how the human brain makes sense of life when trapped in a cult?

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

But its you. Jehovah made a perfect copy!

But how is it me if its a copy? The original died.

Yes but he is perfect and you are "alive in his memory" so that he can bring you back perfectly

So is he bringing me back? Or is he reconstructing me better and with a new brain?

Well he is reconstructing your body but putting your old self into it.

So is my self somewhere right now?

Well no, that would be like a soul, but yes in that you are in Gods memory.

But then that means he is going to reconstruct my brain.....make a new me. A copy.

Right a copy.

So not the original...right?

**and repeat for 3 hours

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

An interesting article which sheds some light on the enigma called "consciousness."

Does "Science" have the ability to find "Truth" when it challenges a foundational belief?

• Old Navy
    Old Navy

Quote from Steve2:

Has he studied how the human brain makes sense of life when trapped in a cult?

Very good question. I believe he has since he addresses cult techniques.

Our World today is an array of Cults within Cults. The art of Mind Control is well developed and the techniques are used daily by government and mainstreammedia to construct the "fake reality" in which we find ourselves. The Matrix is under construction and well along the way to being completed.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

He cannot be a neuroscientist and have said those things. I work in neuroscience with some of the biggest names in the field, never heard of this guy but however scrolling through his papers he has done some work on baboons even going as far as admitting in the papers that this research could be useful for other primates on the phylogenetic tree.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit