What is the ideal age?

by logansrun 29 Replies latest jw friends

• logansrun
    logansrun

It's funny, my brother-in-law, a very myopic and strict JW, said something to me once that I still feel has a kernel of truth to it even though it came from a braindead idiot. He said,

"Brad, I hated my twenties. Life really begins at 30."

Well, I've also learned not to make absolutistic comments, but I think there is a lot of truth in what he said, though the thought certainly isn't original to him. I know, for instance, that many people feel the teenage years and twenties are a time of frustration, radicalness, etc.

So, my question of the day is, What do you feel is the "ideal" age? When does life, "begin" and why do you feel that way? Of course, your comments will be subjective to your experience and that of people you know, but I still feel it has merit.

Me -- I'm 27 and I still feel life hasn't "really started" for some reason.

Thoughts?

Bradley

• Mulan
    Mulan

Looking back on several decades, I would say, with experience supporting me..............the best age is the age you are now (meaning anyone at any age).

Live now, with no regrets for what you didn't do in the past, and with all possibilities open to your future.

• heathen
    heathen

I always liked being young and now that I'm getting older I totally hate it .

• Aztec
    Aztec

Brad, I feel the same way. Like my life really hasn't started yet. I'll be hitting 30 pretty soon though so I'll let you know if that changes.

~Aztec

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

Things start to look up when you hit 30, but you really start living at 40.

Walter

• AlanF
    AlanF

I agree with Mulan, although what your brother told you has some merit. I often think, "If only I could plop my mind into an improved version of the body I had at 21!"

Growing older has its benefits and drawbacks. The physical drawbacks are pretty obvious. They tend to make you more tired and less able to do the many things your mind tells you it wants to do. As you get older you get more experience in avoiding problems, and you tend to do what works for you, instead of trying new things all the time and having a lot of them blow up in your face. Some people like that and others don't. You also tend to learn how to get things done, so that when problems come up, you easily solve them because you've probably seen them before. At 52, I feel much more competent to deal with life than I ever did, even though my body doesn't always agree.

AlanF

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

20 is just fine, for now. Next year I hope to be a year older, we'll see how that works out for me.

• Euphemism
    Euphemism

LOL @ Stacy!

I think that "life starts" when we stop trying to either escape from or react to whatever crap our childhood left us with, and start just living our lives.

For many of us, I'm sure that leaving the WTS was a big part of that, but I'm sure it wasn't the only part.

• integ
    integ

• joannadandy
    joannadandy

Are you kidding me! Kindergarten ROCKS! You get to do crafts all day--pause for milk and cookies, watch a little sesame street, pause for a nap, everything gets handed to you, you get driven around. Everyone thinks your adorable even when you have snot bubbles. (Not so much true later in life). You are the center of your own universe.

Then you hit first grade and it all goes down the crapper.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit