What's the point in being Married?

by YoursChelbie 28 Replies latest jw friends

• YoursChelbie
    YoursChelbie

Divorce lawyers make thousands of dollars every year handling the breakups of over 50% of all the marriages in this country.

Children end up being pulled in both ways during drawn-out legal custody battles.

Aside from money issues, another big reason people file for divorce is infidelity.

If before getting married, you personally know in your mind and feel in your heart that it is neither possible nor necessary to be faithful to the person you are contemplating marrying and...

if you aren't willing to give up in your habit of "sleeping around" then,

Why bother? Why start a family only to later break up that family?

What's the point?

YC

• Badger
    Badger

For guys like me...I'm incredibly faithful.

I'm still looking for the right one, but if I'm in a relationship, she's the only one.

Marriage is for hopeless, mushy romantics like me who fall in love with the wit, mind and heart and look at the beauty as a bonus.

I've been married before. She left. I didn't give up on it until literally the last minute.

Don't get married unless you feel the same way.

• Happythoughts
    Happythoughts
    if you aren't willing to give up in your habit of "sleeping around" then

I never cheated on my ex-husband, but I should have. I personally see no benefit to being married. It is just a lousy piece of paper that has to be approved by the court system. Isn't love enough, isn't that what a commitment should be about?

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

Yours Chelbie. Are you just musing, or are you hurting?

• luna
    luna

I don't see the point. Unless you're capable of being 100% sure of someone, why get married?

I don't think anyone has the ability to know that the person they are with is 100%, without a doubt "THE ONE". And even, if by chance, you find that person, who's to say you won't break up anyhow?

Divorces are expensive, and messy, and in this day and age, there really isn't a stigma w/ not being married to the person you're with.

That's just my humble opinion, but then, i've never met "THE ONE", so who's to say if i'd change my mind?

• bikerchic
    bikerchic

YoursChelbie:

If before getting married, you personally know in your mind and feel in your heart that it is neither possible nor necessary to be faithful to the person you are contemplating marrying and...

if you aren't willing to give up in your habit of "sleeping around" then,

Why bother? Why start a family only to later break up that a family?

What's the point?

The answer is in the question....................you really need to KNOW WHO YOU ARE MARRYING! What is the point of marrying someone you really don't know? There are a zillion books written on the basic questions you should ask before commitment, but first you need to know yourself and exactly what you need and want in a man/woman before you can even begin to know what the questions are for you.

Why start a family? Yes the children suffer innocently from the mistakes of their parents it's so sad.

I hope this isn't something personally happening with you, please tell me it isn't. My heart is aching thinking the worse.

Hugs!

Kate

• tinkerbell82
    tinkerbell82
    I don't see the point. Unless you're capable of being 100% sure of someone, why get married

and even if you are 100% sure of someone, what's the point? i have no desire to get married. it's a formality i don't require. but then i don't plan to have children or any of that, somaybe that colors my opinion a bit. lifetime partnership, if you can make it work, is fine. i think i'll skip the ceremony though. it seems to me that marriage will add nothing to a great relationship that isn't there already, and it will definitely make a bad relationship a heck of a lot tougher to leave.

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

No 100% guarantees in life except death and taxes.

I dont want children and I don't want a husband, ever. I feel that the marriage certificate all too often turns into a certificate of ownership.

• heathen
    heathen

I do agree with those that say that a marriage license is just another tax and means nothing as to ones commitment and love to others . There are certain bennefits tho to a legal marriage such as insurance at the work place or that for the sake of any children that may be born it just seems nicer to use the term the wife or the husband than the ole man or lady or that in case of a break up that child support can be legally aquired . There are some things that make sense about marriage .

• Satanus
    Satanus

Marriage is for the birds, well, not all just certain kinds. I understand that for many women the reason is security.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit