BREAKING NEWS!!! WBATS/JW's just SETTLE a lawsuit that alleged child sex abuse cover ups!!! Link to article.

by UNCONDITIONAL LOVE 14 Replies latest jw friends

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    pbrow: I am sorry people, you can try and place blame on a religion all you want but if the FUCKING PARENTS of the child who was abused do not go to the police these kids are and will continue to be fucked!!

The parents are Jehovah's Witnesses. They follow the beliefs and practices of the Jehovah's Witnesses.

Of course the parents are negligent - they have been instructed by their religion to place the org's health above that of their own child. Of course the religion is responsible. How could it not be a factor??

As long as parents follow the WTS' directives, the kids will continue to be fucked.

• steve2
    steve2

"I am sorry people, you can try and place blame on a religion all you want but if the FUCKING PARENTS of the child who was abused do not go to the police these kids are and will continue to be fucked!! "

pbrow, you make so much sense - no one here would ever contradict you. Please keep in mind that the very worst cases against JW organization occurred some years ago before there was widespread awareness in general communities about the need for parents to swiftly report their children's disclosures to the appropriate authorities (police and child welfare organizations, etc). So, yes, you are correct: Any parent who has this information on hand and who consciously chooses not to go to the appropriate authorities must shoulder responsibility for their inaction. I could not agree more.

That said, what if the abuse happens within the family and - God forbid - the child is abused by a parent? Less than twenty years ago, JW organizations response was to treat lone allegations as not actionable because you needed at least two witnesses.

Moreover, JW organization is known for its close involvement in instructions to heads of households on what to do in specified situations. Look at the lists of instructions on attendance at conventions. Micro-management central! Yet, when it comes to allegations of abuse, only very recently have they verbalized the need for parents/caregivers to report allegations to the police - and only because they have felt the heat of severe criticism for not doing so.

Sometimes it is hard to wrap our heads around the "mentality" that very recently prevailed when child sex abuse allegations arose: JWs would have no hesitation in taking it to elders and like all good JWs, adhere to instructions from the elders in good conscience - and the elders in turn would adhere to instructions from headquarters. No Witness in good standing would have wanted to go beyond the elders' instructions - or even thought at the time they needed to. It is astonishing to realize the level of trust people put in their religious leaders. Yet that is not/was not unique to JW organization.

Hopefully, with the negative publicity arising from investigations such as the Australian Royal Commission there will be a sea change in broader thinking about and responding to allegations of child sexual abuse within JW organization - and it will be the norm for JW parents/caregivers to act swiftly by reporting matters directly to the appropriate authorities, in particular the police.

• pbrow
    pbrow

Any parent who has this information on hand and who consciously chooses not to go to the appropriate authorities must shoulder responsibility for their inaction. I could not agree more

If the parent is the one abusing, then maybe the church can be held responsible.. after the other parent decides not to report it.

We as ex dubs are still so butt hurt that we want to point the finger at a church for its "policies" when THE FUCKING PARENTS WONT EVEN GO TO THE COPS. Jdub parents, catholic parents, muslim parents all have/had problems going to cops when kids were molested. What is the constant in all those cases? THE PARENTS!

Sure, shun your friend cause he left the truth... a little weird but i went along with it... you know manipulation and group think. If you touch my child I will literally slit your throat. There is no "well, you know they are really pressured to listen to the elders and all"

Where does personal accountability start? As a father I will never accept that it was "the church's fault" as a reason a grown ass man or woman does not go to the police when his/her child was molested.

pbrow

• steve2
    steve2

We as ex dubs are still so butt hurt that we want to point the finger at a church for its "policies" when THE FUCKING PARENTS WONT EVEN GO TO THE COPS. Jdub parents, catholic parents, muslim parents all have/had problems going to cops when kids were molested. What is the constant in all those cases? THE PARENTS!

pbrow, no one's arguing with you - except to note that the reaction to JW organization's policies and practices in response to allegation of child sex abuse cannot be reduced to "still [being] butt hurt that we want to point the finger..." Any one with half an active brain would look at earlier responses to allegations of abuse and be appalled by old "attitudes".

You have the luxury of looking at this issue with the benefit of hindsight and living in a day where there is significantly more information available on taking seriously allegations of abuse and being clear about who to report it to.

Fact is, until very recent decades, parents in absolute good faith adhered to the instructions of church leaders when allegations arose - and genuinely believed these leaders had theirs and the children's best interest at heart.

It is easy to look at this issue solely from the point of view of the present, better informed time when it is very clear parents must go above church leaders efforts to keep the allegations "in house". It is easy to look back at the recent past and be gobsmacked by parents' and others naivete and misplaced trust in their elders to give full directions on what will happen. Once bitten, twice shy.

• pbrow
    pbrow

Steve

I suppose I am just beating a dead horse here so I will just say that personal responsibility is paramount. "The org made me do it" is a lame excuse for not taking care of your children. I just want people to realize that....

If you have children you are accountable for them and to them. Don't ever let your kids hear you say "The org made me do it"

pbrow

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit