fear of flying

by petespal2002 19 Replies latest jw friends

• petespal2002
    petespal2002

Hello all,

I am in need of support!!

I'm meant to be flying to Washington from the UK in December and am frightened of flying. Well, not flying exactly, more the falling out of the sky bit. Does anyone out there share this fear and/or have some tips to share.

Thanks.

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

Oh ... I understand your fear ... But well each time I do have to take a fly ... I'm trying to remind me that it is still the more secure way to travel ... I've always traveled alone (my son too) ... what I'm doing is talking, talking, talking to those who are next to me !!! but it is not always possible (familly) ... So I'm just thinking well ... whatever happen ... I have no control at all ... Let's see ... for some reason when I'm really in danger I'm not scared anymore I got into a weird/scary kind of inside peace ... Like Ok I'm READY I'll do what ever I can if I can ! (but when I can I talk)

I know what I've said won't help ... but it rings my bells !!!

Everything will be OK !

• rem
    rem

I fly fairly frequently, but I do get nervous sometimes. Whenever I get nervous I just think about how many flights are happening all over the world without any problems. Thousands of flights a day... it's such a routine process... makes me feel more comfortable.

rem

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

Flight attendants must take special courses in their training to teach them how to deal with nervous flyers. I used to be terrified of flying, but a friend who flies every week told me that as soon as I am seated, I should identify myself to a member of the flight crew as a nervous flyer. It worked! I was treated like royalty, pampered, and got all sorts of benefits the rest of the passengers never got. I was introduced to the flight crew on one flight, given the captain's wings on another, and given a bottle of champagne upon landing by yet another flight crew. Today, I love flying.

Don't let the embarrassment of being a nervous flyer get in your way. Tell them!

• D8TA
    D8TA

I uh...drink alot before I get on the plane, and chew a lot of gum so nobody smells it...then I take some sleeping pills. This is DANGEROUS and I think, "What the hell, at least I wont be a awake when this 18 ton of steel goes plowing into the earth".

Seriously.

• AlanF
    AlanF

I used to be terrified of flying until I realized that not putting my full weight down on the seat decreases the chance of crashing a lot.

AlanF

• Nickey
    Nickey

I have a fear of flying myself. Not as much as I use to. But I just flew back from NYC. Luckily, I was so tired that I fell asleep halfway through the flight. Sipped alot of drinks, ate all the peanuts and listened to the radio. That helped alot.

Somebody gave me this link before my flight: http://www.fearofflyinghelp.com

• freedom96
    freedom96

I fly rather frequently, and I always do what rem said, and remember all the flights flying that day, and how routine it actually is.

The only thing I hate is the turbulence, but planes are made to handle it, so I try to relax.

• IronGland
    IronGland

Me too. I know its safe, but as I'm in the plane, I look around at all the people in this tube with me and imagine it plummeting to earth. the screams, the chaos, the terror. It does happen every few years or so, only no one is alive to tell the tale of what it's really like. I wish Ocean Liners were still a popular and affordable way to travel. im a good swimmer.

• DevonMcBride
    DevonMcBride

Check with a major airline to see if they offer "Fear of Flying" classes in your area. Here in Philadelphia, USAirways has them once a year. It is a 3 or 4 day program with psychologists. The last day of the program they put the group on a plane and show them the cockpit and all of the safety devices. They then take off for a one hour flight.

Many of the people say the program is successful. They are still a little nervous flying but not as much as before.

Devon

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit