Tried to warn another mum

by DarleneGatus 17 Replies latest watchtower child-abuse

• DarleneGatus
    DarleneGatus

The thing that broke me was that I tried to warn another mum in the congregation about a brother who was inappropriate with my son, which upset me, and so I called her to talk about it since we both knew him and I had also seen him pin her daughter down on the sofa and slap the girl's bottom. I called it inappropriate, but I never accused him of anything beyond that.

Unfortunately, word got back to him and I had to go in front of 3 elders, including the brother who I felt had been inappropriate. Because they came down on me for trying to stop the behavior, and not on him for being the cause of upset, I felt very hurt and started questioning more things.

I know that the above probably sounds very minor compared to what some have suffered, but it opened my eyes to the realization that protecting children was not a priority, and how congregations have become less friendly to mothers and children over the years. I had hoped to change that at one point, because my husband was the elder and presiding overseer, but I finally realized there was nothing I could do to change the culture.

• Smiles
    Smiles

Darlene, we here salute your efforts to protect children.

• TonusOH
    TonusOH
    DarleneGatus: I know that the above probably sounds very minor compared to what some have suffered

Actually, what you are describing is what has happened to a lot of people and prompted them to leave or at least become PIMO. They expressed a valid concern and instead of being listened to, they were effectively harassed by elders who would rather pretend that child abuse is not going on in the congregation and are not interested in protecting children. I don't think it is very minor at all. I'm sad that people have to suffer through things like this. Good for you for trying and for seeing them for the terrible people that they are.

• Simon
    Simon

Always be willing to speak up / speak out - they rely on silence to isolate victims and continue.

• enoughisenough
    enoughisenough

a member of my family moved her children out of a congregation because someone was getting too familiar with them...no one believed the kids.

• Bartolomeo
    Bartolomeo

Nobody has the right to touch a child!

No one should feel free to slap a child's butt!

Shame on anyone who defends this type of behavior!

• Smiles
    Smiles
    "I had also seen him pin her daughter down on the sofa and slap the girl's bottom."

You mentioned sitting before three elders. The presence of three elders usually indicates the matter has advanced into an official judicial committee. Before that occurs, an accusation is typically first investigated by a pair of just two elders, who then report their findings to the entire body of elders to reach concensus whether an official judicial committee (of three or more) should be formed to judge the accused person.

Besides you, was the daughter or any other eyewitnesses willing to step forward with testimony to those elders. If so, by WT policy, that should have established real substance to the matter by means of their two or three "witness rule"

If you were the only person raising this accusation to those JW elders, that is like bleeding in shark infested water... JW elders and the accused person will attack as they did to you, usually threatening DF for lies/slander/apostasy/etc...

Major flaw there in "Jehovah's clean organisation"

Sometimes JWs will swing to the other extreme. There was a brother, average quiet single chap, that was accused of brushing up against a married sister's buttocks in a crowded area of the KH where many mingle after a meeting. He denied it. She brought in, as her eyewitness, the woman she had been talking with at the moment she felt contact on her butt. The "eyewitness" stated she did remember a sudden facial expression of alarm on the sister's face but did not notice the brother actually make contact while walking past behind the accuser. The accuser insisted it "felt like a quick grab" on her buttock.

Again, the brother acknowleged he had been mingling among the crowd but denied deliberately touching the sister.

The accuser and her "eyewitness" got emotional over the situation, and had managed to get the gossip about the matter spread into multiple congregations. The accuser's husband even asked everyone to drop the matter.

End result was the body of elders and circuit overseer decided the accusation had not been adequately established, (judicial committee was not deployed) however, notoriety of the fiasco had reached a level where the brother, though technically viewed as innocent, was nevertheless deleted (under his protest) from special privileges and asked to keep a low profile because many of the uninvolved sisters that heard about it reportedly "feel uncomfortable around him"...

This carried on for several years, and he eventually had to leave the area hoping to get a fresh start, but some among that body of elders ensured the mess was mentioned in the letter of introduction routinely sent to his new congregation (overseas) That new congregation responded by requesting clarification because the brother was showing fine fruits of mature spiritually in his new congregation. Branch offices got involved... the brother is still, years later, not permitted to have any special privileges of service in the congregation. All of this from what is considered an unsubstantiated accusation.

Surprisingly, the accused brother remains loyal to the borg.

It is upsetting to see how feckless WT can be when "handling" accusations, particularly accusations of the sexual sort.

• Vanderhoven7
    Vanderhoven7

Welcome to the forum Darlene!

You did the right thing and suffered for it. Is your husband still an elder or have you made a break from the organization?

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

Welcome Darlene ,I hope you didn`t use your real name here as that would certainly get back to the congregation you were in .

Newbies should be aware that the Borg as we sometimes call it does monitor sites like this for their own advantage ,that`s how paranoid they are.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Welcome and well done Darlene.

If the brother(tm) gets too inappropriate, call the Police. Don't hesitate. Think about how he might continue to get away with this until a child's life is ruined forever through physical harm (if you catch my drift). Remember; the Organisation protects paedophiles.

The Watchtower organisation is beyond corrupt.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit