Henry V111.

by Englishman 15 Replies latest social entertainment

• Mulan
    Mulan
    I really enjoyed "Henry VIII & His Six Wives," a 6-part miniseries back in the 1970's,

Nina................I remember that one too. And another one about Elizabeth, I think it was called Elizabeth R, and starred Glenda Jackson. I loved those miniseries.

I'll try to behave at the Freedom Fest. No beheadings.

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

For all of you Henry VIII fans, try this one: http://www.spookbot.com/quiz/

Which wife are you? I'm Anne of Cleves (*sigh* it figures, somehow -- I'm just not the femme fatale type, I suppose). Oh well, she was the smartest of the bunch -- came out of the marriage with her head AND property. The last wife lived by default.

Nina

• Mulan
    Mulan

I am Catherine of Aragon. She kept her head but was rejected for a younger woman.

Oh well, I did have four babies and they all lived.

Catarina was Henry's first wife and was probably the only one of his six wives to truly love him. He tired of her, and she spent the last decade of her life in lonely exile. Yet when she was dying, alone and unloved, she wrote: "Lastly, I make this vow, that mine eyes desire thee above all things. Farewell"
  • simplesally
    simplesally

Nina and Mulan, I saw both of those series. Everytime I see something about Henry, I watch it. Mulan, when I went to England, I went to Hatfield House, where Elizabeth and Mary grew up. Did you make it over there to see that?? ............ Nina, I turned out to be Catherine of Aragon. Dull!!!

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

Yes, I saw Hatfield House -- fascinating. AND Hampton Court before the fire -- that was awesome! Big Tex and I struck up a conversation with a bored guard in the wine cellar and he told us a couple of off-the-tour things to look for, showed us how to sneak back into the main apartments up the back stairs, and we had a grand time! (There's a painting on a ceiling where the eyes follow you no matter where you move, and an almost undetectable circle around the face of a king in a rather large painting (I'd know it if I saw it but can't remember which one offhand). One of the dukes cut out the face of the king when Cromwell took power so that the painting would be worthless and Cromwell couldn't sell it; then, when Charles II came to the throne, he presented the king with the missing piece and it was integrated back into the painting.

BTW, a good author to read (she wrote less than a dozen books) is Margaret Irwin. She wrote "Young Bess" which was made into a movie with Jean Simmons, but I think her best book was "The Gay Galliard" (back when "gay" meant happy) about Mary, Queen of Scots and her relationship with Lord Bothwell. Wonderful books! Very well written and captivating.

Nina

• simplesally
    simplesally

Has anybody found out if this series is coming to the States or will it be on our BBC cable that we have??

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit