A very bad month, but my daughter still makes me smile.

by yxl1 14 Replies latest social family

• yxl1
    yxl1

It's been a lousy month so far. First my Grandmother died at the ripe old age of 80. My father, who has had a serious alcohol problem for the last 20 years finally died in his sleep on Sunday night. Sadly, the only emotion I feel for him is anger. He left home when I was 6, but I always tried to keep in contact. He collapsed 10 years ago when his heart stopped and was told he wouldnt live past xmas if he didnt stop drinking. Once xmas came and went, he started drinking again and would joke that if he reached his 50's, he'd be satisfied.He showed only contempt for his grandkids, and had shown no interest in anything apart from his daily two bottles of vodka and 60 smokes. In the end his liver collapsed and was diagnoised with every cancer imaginable. Just before he died, he pulled off his oxygen mask and asked me, "Wheres my vodka?" Those were the last words he spoke to me. Now my mother has been diagnosed with depression. The worst part is that she has no short term memory at all, and has refused to acknowledge it as a problem. Its becoming a full time job making sure she's OK but at least we now know what the problem is.

Last night my 5 year old daughter lost her first tooth and was really excited about a visit from the tooth fairy. Strangely, it has made me feel a lot better.

yxl1

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

(((YXL1))) Take care and best wishes (I'm sure you'll do the best for your own kids)

• StinkyPantz
  • blondie
    blondie

Very cute, yxl1. A visit from the tooth fairy no longer excites me. But I could use the money.

Sorry about the losses and stresses. I won't miss my father when he goes.

Blondie

• invictus
    invictus

sorry that you are going through some tough times

and it is so true that kids can make you smile because they are so innocent,pure and honest and their emotions are real not calculated.

our kids were therapy to us when we were down. enjoy in your beautiful girl and I wish you all the best

invictus

• Gadget
    Gadget

I hope this is the start of things getting better for you.

• Aztec
    Aztec

(((yxl1))) I'm sorry so much has been going wrong all at once! It seems to always work out that way. Children do have a way of brightening things up though. My 7 year old son has developed this habit of constantly responding to everything with "Darn". Unfortunatly he can't quite says his R's yet so he walks around shaking his head and saying "Down". It's really cute! Hope everything goes smoother for you.

~Aztec

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

yxl1 Sorry to hear of this. Hope things get better soon.

And for your daughter.

Take care:

david

• nilfun
    nilfun

Aren't children great? My son never mourned for a lost tooth. Having served its purpose, it was now gone; there was now only the future visit from the tooth fairy, and a brand-new grown-up tooth, to look forward to.

So sorry for the difficult time you are now experiencing, Yxlt.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

There 's nothing we can do to change the past, but we each own a piece of the future.

You have it in your power to give your children some good memories of their "past."

You're on the right track.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit