GB Member Guy Pierce Memorial Card

by pale.emperor 13 Replies latest watchtower bible

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

http://library.jw-wayback.org/jw-wb/Photos-Pictures/People/Guy%20PIERCe%20(1934-2014).pdf

Interesting to read his backstory. A little sad that they refer to his first marriage as "Guy married a woman with 2 children". Did she have a name?

• sir82
    sir82

Yes, "Sister Pierce". Anything else is utterly irrelevant.

Actually, since they were divorced and he remained "in good standing", the nameless one is lucky to have achieved recognition as "a woman".

I'm quite sure the writers would have preferred to write "brazen adulterous slut", but that would have been viewed as (barely) inappropriate.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut
    "In his years of raising a family, Guy experienced a divorce, raised his adopted children, his own children, and his step children."

The thing reads like "divorce" is a benefit because he understands what people go through. A perfect spiritual leader for the nuclear family.
  • fulano
    fulano

A serious man. He used to conduct to bible-studies in the Bossert library on saturday afternoons, after work. Always ready for a nice chat. Nice guy.

• StephaneLaliberte
    StephaneLaliberte
    sir82: Yes, "Sister Pierce".

AHAHAHHAAHAHAHHAHAH Ohhh I really really laughed at that one!!!

• steve2
    steve2

He experienced a divorce? What odd wording. How do you experience a divorce? I though people "got" divorced.

I don't suppose next they'll be saying JWs "experience a baptism". Odd.

• Las Malvinas son Argentinas
    Las Malvinas son Argentinas

Very odd for a memorial card to mention a first wife and divorce, especially for a leader of a religion that frowns so much on it. He would have been better served by saying how many children and step-children he had. Then mention of the first wife was unnecessary.

• compound complex
    compound complex

Guy Pierce spoke at our Circuit Assembly some years ago (whilst alive). There was a considerable queue from the audience awaiting an audience.

How do you experience a divorce? I though people "got" divorced. . . . Odd. -- steve2

On a tangent: I received promise of a huge boost to my bank account from a real U.S. bank (via email). I went to the official site and requested a link to fraud alert. I read that, amongst other clues, incorrect grammar, spelling, etc. are a giveaway that the message is not legit.

Sure enough, wrong verb tenses, improper lower- and uppercase renderings. Grammar Nazi I caught 'em!

Same with citations from WT publications. Having proofread MSS at Bethel and read the finished product for years, I know their style and when they're copied/pasted (WT bona fide) or rewritten (with errors, terminology inconsistent with WT format; nonidiomatic expressions).

Thanks, steve2!

• sparrowdown
    sparrowdown

"He experienced a divorce" translates as "through no fault of our dear righteous Brother."

• dropoffyourkeylee
    dropoffyourkeylee

So he’s dead, I guess?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit