The Motive of the Governing Body

by jwfacts 38 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Listener
    Listener

Thank you Paul for a very well reasoned out article. It's always great to read letters that were written by Ray Franz, who himself was humbled by his loss of position.

You wrote this

'All the Governing Body appointed since 2000 were raised to believe the end would be within their lifetime, and that the heavenly calling ended in 1935.'

When you say 'raised', I think of that as being raised as a child in the religion. Tony Morris didn't come into the religion until he left the Army and became a GB member in 2005.

• joey jojo
    joey jojo

That's a really interesting read.

Whenever you get a chance to really hash out the beliefs of the Wt with an active witness, at some stage they will inevitably fall back on the statement, 'where else would we go?', confirming this letter that they believe they are a member of the the best religion, despite the obvious flaws.

• jwleaks
    jwleaks

Great article Paul.

Suggested change:

All the Governing Body appointed since 2000 were raised indoctrinated, some from early childhood onwards, to believe the end would be within their lifetime”

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut

I made the comment below a day or so ago in response to a post made inquiring about the motive of the Governing Body. I sat at the Governing Body table referenced in Rays email and was also surprised at how ordinary and unexpectedly un-religious they were when off camera. I sat next to Ray and Cynthia Franz and Ray was my "entrants school" instructor. He was the real deal and I could tell when I was there that something was bothering him. He was doing his best to instruct us but his heart wasn't in it and he hedged his answers to our questions so as not to personally influence us one way or another. He was just there to deliver the material so it seemed. I was not surprised at all that happened to him after I left Bethel. It was interesting to me while reading Ray's email, that I had much the same opinion of the Governing Body members as he did.

(Previous Comment)

I too was at Bethel and sat at the governing body table every day with all of the old time GB members and their wife's. Knorr, F. Franz, R.Franz, Sidlig, Jarred, Schroder, etc etc.

They were generally pleasant but they are in an altered state of reality and are quite caught up in being who they are. I don't think they sit around looking for ways to trick JW or get money from them per say but I do believe they realize that they've screwed up royally in so many ways. They like to put it all down to being imperfect and one could forgive them for that. The unforgivable thing however, is the way they never admit outright that they were wrong and that Jehovah isn't telling them what to say and do.

It's my opinion that they feel that for the good of the greater number, they are justified in just about any action that covers their tracks in order to avoid stumbling those who they've influenced wrongly. Most of us would call it lying and or cowardice but they call it "spiritual warfare". They are expert at convincing themselves of any number of delusional ideas and that includes the delusion that it's a kindness to the rank and file JW's who aren't as strong as they think they are, to shield them from too much reality including the fact that they aren't any more enlightened that anyone else.

• Listener
    Listener
    JW Leaks - suggested change -
    All the Governing Body appointed since 2000 were raised indoctrinated, some from early childhood onwards, to believe the end would be within their lifetime”

It is a good suggestion but I wonder if we are missing a point that Paul was trying to convey. In particular, why is he talking about GB members who have been appointed since the year 2000 since there are 4 of the current 8 members that were appointed before the year 2000?

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

Thank you Thank you Thank you Paul! The money drum is beat a lot in ex-jw circles, it is not the only motivator, and as you said they'd lose it all if they left. Also, when only being familiar with household expenses, WT numbers are daunting... not that they aren't hiding money. I bet they are, but for "God".

Maybe some were in congregations that just seemed to want to bleed them dry. Very believable.

Anecdote: I knew someone who graduated from Gilead when Knorr was the prez. Later, in the 90s one of the GB dedicated a new hall and was introduced as Br. So and So. Years later that graduate referred to that as "the horrible treatment of Br. So and So in Blank Congregation". I don't remember which GB it was. The graduate thought he was friends with all the GB members because back in the day they were 'friends' with Knorr. Anyway, I had no idea what they meant by the horrible treatment and let it be, he was a bit crazy (and would probably get angry at me for not knowing what he was talking about if I asked). A few years later they mentioned that in "Blank" Congregation they didn't mention that Br. So and So was a GB member how disgusting!!!! The tone of voice made me remember the older comment and put it together. Prominence, and you'd better observe it.

• menrov
    menrov

I can believe that fortune or money was not a driver when Ray was a member. But a lot has changed and since the WT got hold of all kingdom halls worldwide and are far more focused on donations, my view is that money has become a driver. May be not the core driver but as key element of all their drivers:

- power
    - being seen as special or important
    - lack of personality in normal life and now want to prove they are doing a great job

Unless they are all blind and lack any sense of intelligence, they must know that their doctrines are not scriptural and that their views about Armageddon are based on philosophical ideas and wishful thinking. But as they convince themselves they need to provide a sort of "safe haven" for people (I truly believe they think that people are better of being in the organisation) , they will continue with their journey to convert people.

Thanks Paul

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

PETE ZAHUT:

Again, thanks for sharing your experience being at bethel sitting with governing body members and seeing their frame of mind and what makes them tick.

I also think you are right about them (those older guys) probably knowing they screwed up and were supposedly worried about stumbling their followers, etc.. I wonder what they were thinking the reaction would be when they published that 1995 Generation teaching?..This was the last straw for me. I knew it was over.

Nowadays, from what I have read and seen with videos..I get a more arrogant ‘sacred cow/unaccountable and you-better-obey’ vibe coming from the whole thing. Whatever. I’m just glad I got Out years ago and not still sitting there like a sucker.

• carla
    carla

Thank you!

• cofty
    cofty

Marking for later. Thank you Paul. Hope you are well.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit