I would like to rant about how I get really upset when I get some weak invitation back to the cult.

by schnell 28 Replies latest jw friends

• schnell
    schnell

My mother wanted me to know that the CO gave a talk that kinda-sorta reprimanded an elder in her hall. He is not the reason I left at all, and this does not address anything to do with me or our family.

My mother-in-law sent me texts which I ignored and now she has sent a picture to my wife on Facebook just for me, and it's a Prodigal Son meme that says, "YOU SEE THE SIGNS, COME BACK IT'S NOT TOO LATE".

Yeah, it's not too late to accept a global flood in 2370 BCE, or that man was created in 4026 BCE from a golem spell, or that an us-and-them cult mentality is at all healthy or loving, or that religion is going to be banned by the UN, or that I should expect anyone else at the door to accept these stupid ideas in the information age.

What am I supposed to say? I usually just ignore them, but before I do that, I see that shit and I storm into this weird internalized rage where I start writing a response and deleting it. Anything I say is just going to fly over my mother's or MIL's head and then she'll get mad, so why bother?

What also gets me is just how weak it is. This appeal to emotion is little more than, "Come back! .... We need you! .... Come back!" There isn't anything there. There is no substance. It is an attempt at emotional extortion but that is on them. I'm not the one doing that, that's them. Geez.

So eh.

*shrug*

The cult's crazy. Business as usual.

• talesin
    talesin

Rant, you deserve it, you need it!

"I'm a human being, goddammit! ... I'm as mad as hell, and I'm not going to take this anymore!"

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=rGIY5Vyj4YM

• smiddy
    smiddy

Thats what every Jehovahs Witness should do at the end of a Watchtower Study

Stand up and say " I`m as mad as hell and I cant take this shit anymore " then walk out and never go back again.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I hear you. In my experience one of the hardest things I've had to do is have mentally challenged cult members in my family treat me as if I'm insane because I don't believe this bloody stupid crap about the end of the world and living forever in panda paradise.

• ambersun
    ambersun

The thing that is so frustrating is that most JWs seem incapable of acknowledging the fact that you are leaving the religion because you no longer believe it to be The Truth.

In their eyes the only possible reason for leaving is that you have become weak by not attending all the meetings, or allowed yourself to be "stumbled" by some brother or sister.

When I was an active JW I lost count how many times I used to hear JWs saying that they were sure ex brother or sister so and so "knows it is the Truth" and that they will soon come to their senses, or just need guiding back with love and encouragement. Ahhhhhh!!

• cobweb
    cobweb

You did the right thing. Writing the text got it out of your system. Sending it could of only had a negative outcome.

I think particularly after the last assembly there is a danger witness family will independently shun you for being critical.

You have maintained mastery over yourself and can take pride in that.

• ollied28
    ollied28

I hear you. In my experience one of the hardest things I've had to do is have mentally challenged cult members in my family treat me as if I'm insane because I don't believe this bloody stupid crap about the end of the world and living forever in panda paradise.

This is very accurate.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor
    When I was an active JW I lost count how many times I used to hear JWs saying that they were sure ex brother or sister so and so "knows it is the Truth" and that they will soon come to their senses, or just need guiding back with love and encouragement. Ahhhhhh!!

Oh I hear ya! My family are saying this to congregation members about me.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

What also gets me is just how weak it is. This appeal to emotion is little more than, "Come back! .... We need you! .... Come back!" There isn't anything there. There is no substance. It is an attempt at emotional extortion but that is on them. I'm not the one doing that, that's them. Geez.

I perfectly understand that. If your family are acting the way my family did, I could suggest that the "weak" texts and communication may not seem so lame to them. If you notice, they are designed (ok, designed may not be the right word), they are intended to tell you something but not for you to reply anything other than "leave me the eff alone". They are not invitations to conversations or dialog they know well they themselves don't want to have for the simple reason that you are right and they are wrong.

So if you look at them from than point of view, their lame messages serve their purpose, which is to do their job as JWs to reach out to you at the same time they remain detached and not hear anything you want to say. Also, if you reply at all, it should be either taking a stand, which gives the the perfect excuse to solve their problem, or just show up and "come back". Notice to any decent person with basic manners those seem to be the only viable options with that type of communication. Either way, they are definitely not about you.

• Village Idiot
    Village Idiot

Smiddy,

Thats what every Jehovahs Witness should do at the end of a Watchtower Study

Stand up and say " I`m as mad as hell and I cant take this shit anymore " then walk out and never go back again.

Shortly after my df I went to the Memorial and overturned the table throwing down the emblems on the floor. That's a good way not to get invited for the next generation or so.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit