My Sister's Wedding - Good and Bad News

by kelpie 45 Replies latest jw experiences

• kelpie
    kelpie

Ok.. Firstly let me see I can explain this with out too much rambling....

For those who know me, know that I was disfellowshiped in June this year. Before this time, my mother, stepfather and sister shunned me. Since my disfellowshipping, I have not had contact with my parents and an occasional text message from my sister.

I found out last week that my sister was getting married on the saturday just gone (11th October) so I decided to give her a call on friday to wish her luck for her wedding. Expecting a quick call, I was dumbfounded to see we talked for over an hour.

She informed me that she is going through a tough time and that she hasnt been to a meeting for about 3 months and is having serious doubts. She told me that it is not the religion that is bad but the people in it. She is worried about me becoming an apostate so Im not giving her any information at this stage. She also mentioned that she cannot see a life out side of the organisation.

Anyway, you can imagine how happy I felt when she told me that she wanted me to attend the ceremony AND the reception! So I immediately made the arrangements to make the five hour trip to her wedding the next day.

Well the next day was when it all blew up. My stepfather (whom I consider my natural father) is the only elder in his congregation and is very proud and likes to be the centre of attention, asked my sister if I was attending the ceremony and she said yes. He then asked her if I was attending the reception and she said "I dont know". Well, the crap sure then hit the fan. He went off his head screaming and yelling saying if I attend they wont etc etc. Mum stormed out of the house in tears, my sister ran after my mother. (like a movie)

My Dad called my other sister who isnt a witness (and not attending the wedding in protest) for advice. To cut a long story short, it was decided that I would attend the ceremony but not the reception and that I would stay out of mum and dad's way.

My 2 nieces were there. One I hadnt seen for 2 year and the other for 10 months. Dad tried so hard to keep them away from me but as soon as he was distracted they came running over to me. The 8 year old broke into tears saying how much she has missed me and how long it has been. You can imagine the tears streaming down my face at her hurt.

After the ceremony, my fiance walked up to mum and said hello, she threw her arms around his neck and burst into tears and just clung to him saying im sorry over and over again.

Dad then went into his lecture to Rick saying that I was the one in the wrong, he said it was like I was in jail for my wrong doings. Rick said, why dont you just walk over and give kim a hug and mum said that she is fighting with herself and finding it extremely hard to hold herself back. Dad, being the big macho man he is, said "we cannot break Jehovahs laws, not one little bit" My mum ended up walking away in tears.

They are just soooo strong but mum admitted to rick that ignoring me is killing her but they cannot and wont back down.

Anyway, after the ceremony, against our father's will, my sister walked straight up to me and gave me a kiss and a cuddle and just clung on to me. I forgot to mention that she was 1 HOUR late for the ceremony because she was still arguing with dad about talking to me at the wedding. ( I forgot to mention that she was married by a marriage celebrant, not a JW Elder)

I was soooooo proud of her... I am happy that I got to see my sister and my neices again but sad because I can see the hurt and heartache that my decision to leave the organisation has caused. After this weekend, Im seriously considering getting reinstated just so I can have my family back in my life. I know that I wouldnt get caught up in the mind control again but not having my family in my life is killing me.. I come from such a close family and i cannot handle not having them with me. I need my mum.... It is a religion that I know now how it works and I know that I can beat the control. Am I wrong in doing this???,,,,,

I know I will disappoint people if I do go back, but I feel this is the best thing for me and my family. My children need their grandparents, I need my parents and I know that if anything happened to mum because of the situation I would never forgive myself. I know I can hear you all thinking its not my fault its their decision to shun me but I also have to live with myself...

• shamus
    shamus

It sounds like emotion overload right now.

What a horrible religion. How can they treat you that way?

Look at the love that they have....

What you need to do is take a few days and think things through. It's hard to give advice to someone who is going through all this right now... esp. one who has family that does not shun him.

Some questions that you can ask when things calm down emotionally is Do I really want this kind of love... conditional? Is this love worth it?

I feel horrible for your nieces and nephews... crying because they miss you. That will stick in their head for longer than you can imagine... a religion based on lies and heartache.

Some other posters will give you some good advice. I am just dumbfounded by the lack of love shown to you...

• smack
    smack

This sort of behaviour makes me sick! How can one couple treat their offspring like that, when only hours away, another couple can accept the

choices that their children have made. Two of my siblings are practicing dubs, My sister and I are beyond help. Yet my parents treat us and our

kids the same. Nobody from the religion is giving my dad, an ex elder, any flack over his relationship with his family. He has been a business partner to unbelieving relatives in the past.

Cheeses' avatar is perfect for some of those dickheads.

I say, do what you feel is right, go back and rejoin your family, there is nothing they can do to you to brainwash you after you've been out.

Steve

• Prisca
    Prisca

Kelps,

Do what you feel is right for you. Some ppl here will be ahgast at the thought of you returning to Dubland, even if it's just for the sake of seeing your family again, but the point is that it's YOU that is hurting, and it's YOU that has to deal with the consequences of whatever choices you make. You are already dealing with the consequences of leaving the Dubs, and if that's too much for you to bear, then it might be better if you play by their rules (for now) so that you get some family contact back again.

Whatever you choose to do, I know you'll be supported on this board anyway.

• Mac
    Mac

Did ya pass on that hug and kiss to yer sis for me?

mac

• lisavegas420
    lisavegas420

Go back now??? Why??? Lookee here at what your sister said:

She informed me that she is going through a tough time and that she hasnt been to a meeting for about 3 months and is having serious doubts.

You need to be stay where you are, and be prepared for when she in completely out of there. She will need you, and if you are busy jumping through JW hoops, you'll be way to busy to just be a friend and a sister. Just be available to her and your neices and your mom, but don't change for them. Let them know at every opportunity how much you love them, and are ready to accept them into your life unconditionally.

Hugs,

Lisa

• sidney
    sidney

Kelpie, I spoke to you in chat earlier I know how hard it is right now. Only go back if it was you believe in but don't go back in order to see your family again, you are not being true to yourself. Many many times in the early days i felt it would be better to go back in order to have my relationship with my family. but i wouldn't have been happy and just going to keep them happy is that the reason to go? My family are back in contact with me now but they are different with me now and it does hurt. Talk to them about how you feel they may also be thinking about the current situation after the wedding and be upset themselves. Then take it from there. Good luck Kelpie! Sidney xx

• TheSilence
    TheSilence

What a difficult situation.

First, please remember that as wrong as your parents are... they are doing it because they truly believe it is the best thing for you and they love you. They are victims of the religion just as we all are.

Secondly, screw what anyone else thinks... you have to make the decision that is best for you and your family... and if that means going back to the religion in name then that's what you have to do. My only concern is this: while I understand the need to be close to your family it is not a decision you are making only for you. You are also making this decision for your children. I'm not familiar with the situation... and you say that you are mentally able to beat the control... are your children? How will going back affect them?

Do whatever you truly believe is best for all of you... and then live with your decision without any regrets knowing that you made the best choice you could.

My thoughts are with you,

Jackie

• Shakita
    Shakita

This "you can come to the wedding but not the reception" rule that the organization enforces was also played out at a recent JW wedding that I attended. The sister of the bride was disfellowshipped years ago and was "allowed" to come to the wedding (she was there sitting in the back row) but she was not "allowed" to attend the reception. During the reception, the family was all smiles, tears and hugs....but I know that deep down they must have been hurting because of the stupid and cruel JW rules. This is a loving and kind family that I have known for many years. I just bet that some of those tears shed that I saw at the reception were for the sister that was missing from a time when family is meant to be more important that any religious organization. Just a sad situation all around.

My heart goes out to you, Kelpie. I am so glad that you got to see your sister married. And, I know the pain that those go through when forced to make a decision between association with their families and the JW organization. I have no advice for you, because I am stuck between a rock and a hard place too. You must do what your heart tells you. Just know that you are not alone in your decision, others have also gone back to the organization because they miss their family members so much. It is just a damn crime that so much heartache is brought on families at a time when there should be only joy.

Take care.

Mrs. Shakita

• berylblue
    berylblue

Kelpie, the only one to worry about disappointing is yourself. You seem like a very caring person; sometimes you need to think of YOU.

(((Kelpie)))

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit