JW’s and Charity Organizations

by longgone 22 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• longgone
    longgone

I was wondering if anyone is aware of the JW’s in general being involved financially and/or as volunteers in charity organizations? I was a born in JW for 56 years and left in 2016. As far as I remember there was never any encouragement to help in the community in any way. Including soup kitchens, tutoring at schools, United Way, etc. Nothing. In fact more of the opposite. “Door to door” was our charity work and that’s it. Until recently, sad to say I have never even known a Witness to do so. If they did, it wasn’t mentioned. I’ve lived in several regions of US, perhaps it’s different in other areas here or other countries. I have a personal reason for asking, I’d like to get some feedback first before saying anything further. Thanks. :)

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

longgone

I was in for over 40 years. Not once were we asked to donate money for the homeless, never took time for a food drive, never volunteered at a soup kitchen, never helped rebuild homes or donate any money for families that had their homes destroyed by fire, never volunteered at hospitals or child services, never gave money to animal rescues, never helped domestic abuse victims and never donated or helped people with disabilities!

I no longer believe in the Bible, but the Watchtower Society ( who does ) never followed Jesus words when he said:

Instead this is the Watchtower Society motto:

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

THIS IS WT STYLE CHARITY :

JW Branch busted for sending out government covid care supplies and attempting to take credit for it!

“Please take a moment to thank Jehovah”: Churches distributing USDA food boxes are blurring the boundaries between church and state

https://thecounter.org/churches-usda-covid-19-food-boxes-boundaries-church-and-state/?fbclid=IwAR3kBD3Cqrb5DakuAc35SuzWZ6I4Bzwy9ihPiRvptIRPZ7gQ4iSdRsw6FOY

Jehovah's Witnesses Disaster Relief Committee letter about food relief boxes during Covid-19. September 2020

I thought that all the governments were run by Satan. At least that is what I was taught growing up as a kid. To be consistent, shouldn't they be thanking Satan instead?

• vienne
    vienne

My grand uncle volunteered as a medical coordinator for several international adoption and child care agencies. But what the general Witness view is, I do not know.

• Gorb
    Gorb

Aid Afrique was in the 90's an official jw charity organisation, with diplomatic relations and working with UN and UNHCR.

I still own a brochure from Bethel France about Aid Afrique activity.

They killed it later on.

G.

• truth_b_known
    truth_b_known

I was born-in as a Witness. I grew up in the 80s. I always heard from the platform that donating to charitable organizations was showing a lack of faith in Jehovah's kingdom to help mankind. The only donations we were to make with our money was to the Watchtower Bible & Tract Society.

• Vanderhoven7
  • Biahi
    Biahi

I grew up in the 60’s and 70’s, and I too was always told if we had time for volunteering, our time is best spent in the field service, and any money we had to donate should rightly go to the society, not ‘worldly’ charities.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

The poor, the widows, the orphans, the sick and the hungry are out of luck at the local Kingdom Halls! Every dollar goes towards the local and worldwide work!

LIVING AS CHRISTIANS

“A Gift in Hand for Jehovah”

A person places a donation in a contribution box; a person makes a donation electronically

How can we “come forward today with a gift in hand for Jehovah”? (1Ch 29:5, 9, 14) Below are various ways in which we can choose to make voluntary donations to support the work of Jehovah’s Witnesses, both locally and worldwide.

• THE WORLDWIDE WORK

construction and operation of branch facilities and remote translation offices

theocratic schools

special full-time servants

disaster relief

printing, video production, and digital publishing

• A donation to the local congregation

LOCAL CONGREGATION EXPENSES

congregation expenses, such as utilities and basic maintenance of the Kingdom Hall

any resolutions made by the congregation to send funds to the branch office for:

• Kingdom Hall and Assembly Hall construction worldwide

• the Global Assistance Arrangement

• other worldwide activities

• Simon
    Simon

The congregations register as a charity and claim they provide "counselling services to the community". They also claim they they provide a community space.

What they mean is, they do bugger all real charitable work and try to categorize enforcement of their own rules as "counselling" (telling people off) to get the tax breaks. Good luck using the community space unless you suck up all their rules.

The clumsy hand of government, allowing it to happen. It's why charities in general are often such money making / tax-avoidance scams.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit