Is it just me or are the street sign, road,car verification excessive?

by nonjwspouse 19 Replies latest forum suggestions

• JW_Researcher
    JW_Researcher

Beyond annoying. I constantly clear cookies, history, cache, etc. (every session) which, as noted, means I have to sign in to this site again...so I rarely do. If I send or receive a PM, I log in.

Some sites have very simple CAPTCHA "challenges" so perhaps one can set "level of difficulty" or something? For example, some sites have only numbers that are visually distorted.

I'm guessing there is a good reason to have a CAPTCHA at the gate of this site (?) but...it does lessen the likelihood of signing in, for me at least.

My bank has several layers of authentication (credentials and the answer to a "secret" question). Perhaps that would be a more acceptable (or at least a less frustrating) solution?

• freddo
    freddo

It's getting worse. I often get six or even eight attempt screens.

Do I count lorries as cars? Backs of signs? Only road signs or what about other signs.

Don't get me started on "store fronts" or how long it takes for a picture to fade and replace!

I keep going until I'm in.

But I do wonder if it puts off new or nervous first time posters who may give up part way through.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

Yeah it takes ages. In fact I gave up.

• faithnomore
    faithnomore

Oh my yes. I was starting to think it was me missing something each time:)

• nonjwspouse
    nonjwspouse

Birdie, like Giordino, I use incognito mode all the time. So it's like signing in for the first time each time. I never leave it signed in.

It has gotten worse like freddo said. Before, it was just slightly annoying but not excessive like it is now.

Steve2 are you also going through different sign in screens , like six sometimes even more, on a single sign in. First street signs, then maybe signs again, then cars, then store fronts, then cars again, then roads, etc....

It's HIGHLY frustrating!

• FedUpJW
    FedUpJW

I don't think it is anything that Simon is putting in place.

I don't know about that, but I do know that I am getting pretty tired of MOST times having to click...click...click...click...click...click...click...click...click...click...click...click...click...click...click... before getting the green check mark.

Even my secure banking site only requires a user name, and a password and click on login and you are in without the CAPCHA as long as you enter that site as an allowed site/safe site. And yes, I have added this site to my list of allowed sites so none of the cookies or other information is deleted when I log out.

• Giordano
    Giordano

To be clear I don't have a problem getting on the forum....cause I just stay signed in (Chrome). No reason not to stay signed in....... have been out for fifty years.

However it might be beneficial if our web master could check out this situation and find an easier Capcha I've seen a number that were a breeze to fill out.

• steve2
    steve2

I do wonder about the need to go through all the pre-visit verifications (I do love clicking one of the first steps that asks, Are you a robot?) each time I visit the forum. Time was when I only had to go through the verification process every now and then - now it is anytime a certain amount of time has elapsed.

Also, you have to read the instructions carefully: Some say keep clicking until there are no cars, others say simply click on photos of cars.

BTW, I prefer doing the current clicking on photos than the older verification process which asked you to type in the numbers or letters visible on screen - often the numbers or letters were in difficult-to-read fonts and it took several attempts. Remember that?

• cleanideas
    cleanideas

I totally thought I was the only one having problems with this and felt so stupid when it kept giving me more screens to click thinking I was messing up. Whew, I don't feel so dumb now. HAHA!

• GTSfromSY
    GTSfromSY
    p { margin-bottom: 0.1in; line-height: 120%; }

I use Linux and it is a pain in the rear. It takes a solid 2 to 3 minutes. In the long run it's worth it though. ;)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit