Before and after meetings: What was the conversational quality like?

by truthseeker 24 Replies latest jw friends

• Room 215
    Room 215

In my experience, at the end of the meeting almost nobody discusses what they just heard;ecept fro when a DFing was just announced, talk usually reverts to mundane chatter: gossip innocuous or otherwise; sports, vacation plans, recipes, pastimes, etc. On the rare instances when someone commented on a just-concluded talk, it was almost always described as a ``fine" talk, even if it was execrable and/or mind-numbingly boring/

• micheal
    micheal

Conversations were always forced because you had to talk to each other. I would have loved to get there one minute before the meeting started and leave 10 seconds after it finished. But no, because as any brother who was on the servant body or any sister who's husband was an elder knows, you HAVE TO chat with everyone because people are watching your every move.

• ChimChim
    ChimChim
    Before and after meetings: What was the conversational quality like?

I never really payed any attention... just sat there being the kid I was, drawing and stuff making my hands little puppets. Oh yeah and scream at the top of my lungs in the middle of an elders speach!

• SheilaM
    SheilaM

I headed for the door with my sleepy children and my Grumpy ThunderRunning once we hit the asphalt

• Euphemism
    Euphemism
    In my experience, at the end of the meeting almost nobody discusses what they just heard;ecept fro when a DFing was just announced, talk usually reverts to mundane chatter: gossip innocuous or otherwise; sports, vacation plans, recipes, pastimes, etc. On the rare instances when someone commented on a just-concluded talk, it was almost always described as a ``fine" talk, even if it was execrable and/or mind-numbingly boring?

My experience was the same as Room 215... I really don't identify with most of what people describe here.

And I don't necessarily feel that things were "cliquey". A "clique" is a group that deliberately excludes others. I think that people tended to hang out with their friends, the people they were most comfortable with, but I don't think that it was any kind of deliberate effort at exclusion.

But maybe I'm being naive.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit