Before and after meetings: What was the conversational quality like?

by truthseeker 24 Replies latest jw friends

• truthseeker
    truthseeker

I have been in a number of different congregations over the years, and I have to say that the level of conversation I had with my fellow believers, with a few exceptions, was rather poor.

Here are some 'opening' comments.

1) Nice to see you at the meeting. - I never understood this. Can you imagine going to a company meeting and saying to your fellow worker, 'nice to see you at the meeting'?

2) That was a good talk. - Ask he/she what did you find most exciting about it and watch the expression on their face.

And my favorite..

3) I really enjoyed your prayer.

Both before and after a meeting, it seems that JW's cannot hold meaningful conversations. Try talking about current events, such as politics with a JW, they can't continue the conversation.

I used to think it was my fault, maybe I wasn't interesting enough, but it seemed that the same people would have the same meaningless conversation with everyone else. Most, and I say most, have absolutely no depth to them.

Some cogregations are friendly, but it only goes skin deep. There is nothing under the surface.

How many brothers/sisters told you, 'We must get together some time', and failed to make good on their word. Of course, we all say things from time to time, yet when most non JW's say that to me, they mean what they say most of the time - and we do get together.

The elders are the chief culprits, I find most of mine have absolutley nothing to say to me. The only time I get a phone call from one of them is if I forgot to turn in my time sheet at the end of the month.

Anyway, I found the following interesting...

http://psychcentral.com/library/making_conversation.htm

Making Conversation: A Skill, Not an Art

Maud Purcell, LCSW, CEAP
    5 Apr 2001

Do cocktail parties strike terror in your heart? If so, you are not alone. Although the ability to converse with others comes naturally to some, it is a skill that most of us must develop.

Many women don't realize that effective conversation has little to do with what you know, but everything to do with how you present yourself. The 19th century French novelist Guy de Maupassant said it best:

"Conversation ... is the art of never appearing a bore, of knowing how to say everything interestingly, to entertain with no matter what, to be charming with nothing at all."

The ability to converse well with others is not some elusive thing, obtainable only by a chosen few. With a little elbow grease, even shy women can learn to feel comfortable speaking with anyone, about anything! Here's my tried and true formula:

• Take a personal inventory -- Make a list of your personal strengths and accomplishments. Keep this with you at all times, and add to it. Review it regularly, but especially before entering social situations that usually cause you discomfort. This will remind you that you do have much to offer.

• Ask a friend -- Request honest input from a trusted friend. How does she think you come across in social situations? What does she think you do well? How could you converse more effectively with others? Better yet, ask a couple of confidantes for their assessment of you.

Now you are ready to make a Self-Development list. Chances are good that one or more of the following steps will address your weak areas:

• Speak less and listen more -- People love to speak about themselves. In social situations, be sure to ask others about their interests, work, opinions, etc. This will take the focus off of you. A side benefit of this approach is that you will invariably be viewed as a great conversationalist, even though you've said little or nothing!

• Develop your sense of humor -- Begin taking note of the things that make you laugh. Pay attention to what others find humorous. You don't have to be particularly quick-witted or a great storyteller in order to make others laugh. In fact, some of the funniest (and safest) material is that which is self-deprecating. As a side benefit this approach lets your listener know that you don't take yourself too seriously.

• Brush up on current events -- Even with limited time, you can have a cursory knowledge of what's happening in the world. Subscribe to a weekly news magazine or at least skim the headlines of a daily paper. You can even catch the news online these days! You don't have to be an expert in order to casually refer to something that is newsworthy.

• Keep track of new and interesting experiences -- What have you recently enjoyed? A trip to a space museum? Thai food? Your first opera? Fly-fishing? New (and attention-getting) experiences will always provide fodder for stimulating conversation.

• Be a bearer of good tidings -- Keep your comments upbeat and enthusiastic. People are instinctively drawn to positive conversation. And notice how quickly they will excuse themselves if you begin discussing your current health problems!

• Keep your own comments short and to the point -- No one is interested in hearing you drone on about your own opinions or achievements. Brevity and humility go a long way in social situations.

In sum, you need be neither a rocket scientist nor a brain surgeon in order to participate in lively conversation. Being a good listener is half the battle. Having fresh information to share, and delivering it with a sense of humor, is the other half! Maybe that next cocktail party won't be so bad, after all!

Tell me your experiences of having conversations with the friends before and after meetings.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk

very clicky, same people always talked to the same people, everyone has their own little group, either you fit in or you don't, just my experience.

What I always found amusing was, people you don't normally talk to often, would always say hello to you while walking by, but never actually stop and talk to you, unless you closed-line them.

• worldlygirl
    worldlygirl

On the few occasions I accompanied my ex to his meetings, the women in the congregation swarmed me like freaking bees afterward. They were always soooooooooooo glad to see me, and sooooooooooooooo happy I came to the meeting, and would sooooooooooooooo love to have a Bible Study with me.............. What a bunch of fakes.

• Doubtfully Yours
    Doubtfully Yours

Agree. Extremely clicky; with the click I/we can talk about anything, lately we talk about our baseball games going on, or the Spanish soaps some of us watch, sitcoms, or our next entertainment activity.

Can't relate to talking about anything spiritual while at the meetings. We just have normal conversation about everyday life, and we joke around quite a bit too at the KH; the other stuff is boring and we're sick of hearing about it in all the various meetings.

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

I found that most conversations lasted less than 3 minutes. It didn't take long before many of them didn't know what to say anymore. After the initial "hello, how are you? Nice to see you" they often begin looking around to see if they can find someone else to say these three sentences to. I could never get people to talk about their personal interests outside of JW-DOM. Either they didn't have any, or they were afraid to talk about them out of fear that they might be counselled for talking about their 'worldly' pursuits.

It's as though they have a very short attention span.

Walter

• starfish422
    starfish422
    After the initial "hello, how are you? Nice to see you" they often begin looking around to see if they can find someone else to say these three sentences to.

Isn't that the truth. I remember reliving that same play over and over again with the children of the visiting speaker. I would always get in trouble if I didn't "approach" the visitors to make them feel welcome.

After a stilted, awkward conversation, I would scan the hall for my best friend and flee as soon as I could without seeming utterly rude.

And 9 times out of 10, we had the visiting speaker + family for lunch after the meeting.

• invictus
    invictus

for us it was mosty "hi" and "bye" type . Oh yes, also " How come you cannot find day job?" ( I am working night shift because of kids,if they need me, or they are sick at least one parent is home. I was trying to explain this and then I just gave up - saying " because I enjoy working nights?!"

basicly,most were just phony "how are you ?" and then they leave without waiting for an answer. true loving bunch

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

LOL! I have to agree with all of you! I always noticed the same pattern:

Bro: Hello Nos!
    Nos: Hi.
    Bro: How are you?
    Nos: Good.
    Bro: That's good! <walks away>

Then the next person comes up to me:

Bro: Hello Nos!
    Nos: Hi.
    Bro: How are you?
    Nos: Good.
    Bro: That's good! <walks away>

• integ
    integ

Iztoocool,

Right on...Exactly.

Most would'nt talk to me because of my lackluster service time, or meeting attendance. Just hello how are you? type of stuff.

Integ.

• shamus
    shamus

Pretty bad.

I must admit, though, the WTBTS certainly encouraged people to show more love and branch out. They would be the ones who would say "hi", bye" kinda people! Pretty shallow.

Very clicky is the key.... but I didn't want in with those clicks, anywayz. What? Get invited over saturday night to study your Watchtower??? No thanks. Done that, won't again.

People were nice, but not as nice as people in the world, that's for sure. That statement is true, until you are considered "bad assosiation" then you are avoided with a 10 foot pole. For what? Watching the Simpsons? Ha ha! Who needs people like that in their lives? They're low-life's!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit