2021 Annual Meeting Talk, "I Will Never Abandon You"

by RULES & REGULATIONS 17 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• St George of England
    St George of England
    Have you noticed that he appears more and more rarely in videos or programs on jw org

Probably more to do with his age and failing health. He has suffered from diabetes for many years.

George

• dozy
    dozy

I always felt a bit sorry for older guys in the Org who were still pushing themselves to give talks etc even though they became really poor. It became quite an ordeal to listen to them and a relief when they eventually got put to pasture.

Herd has always been a really poor speaker , though - I heard him at an international convention many years ago and even then he basically just read the talk word for word from the script ( losing his place a few times ) , including the rather painful scripted "jokes" that he comes out with. If a young kid had done that in our congregation he would have been counselled by the school overseer , but I guess a GB member gets a free pass , especially as he is the token non-white guy there.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice
    Samuel Herd lacks enthusiasm

He never did sound all that sharp. Low IQ Governing Body stock. I imagine their IQ put together is in the minus region.

He's the diversity hire for their propaganda show.

• RULES & REGULATIONS
    RULES & REGULATIONS

Here is what I wrote about Samuel Herd!

This 19 minute talk by “Governing Body” member Samuel Herd lacks enthusiasm, energy and mostly reads his script. Looks like he was forced to talk about something he no longer believes, but goes along what was written to appease the rest of the ''Governing Body.''

The comments that follow are the reasons I love : https://www.jehovahs-witness.com/

Well he is old. I remember the CO losing enthusiasm after the generation thing. I sure did.

Or Sam Herd is an Uncle Tom and the Token Black Man Puppet of the Otherwise White Gibberish Buddy.

Herd has always been a really poor speaker , though - I heard him at an international convention many years ago and even then he basically just read the talk word for word from the script ( losing his place a few times ) , including the rather painful scripted "jokes" that he comes out with.

He's the diversity hire for their propaganda show.
    Probably more to do with his age and failing health. He has suffered from diabetes for many years.
  • FFGhost
    FFGhost

Old JWs like Herd make me sort of sad.

"Sad" because I suspect that many if not most look back on a life of wasted opportunity and wasted time. They were promised to be in paradise before they got their first wrinkle, their first job, their high school diploma. And now here they are dying of old age, and not even a hint of Armageddon in sight.

"Sort of" because it's hard to feel much pity for someone who is suffering due to their own poor choices in life.

• dozy
    dozy

At least Herd will eventually be looked after in the Bethel infirmary and get the GB funeral that his status will permit.

I find old JWs tend to double down on their beliefs - very few seem to reflect on a wasted life working as an unpaid volunteer for a religious media corporation. Many go by the old mantra "even if it isn't the truth , it is still the best way of life". At least in some cases it gives them a degree of community , albeit it depends on the congregation and family ties etc.

• FFGhost
    FFGhost
    I find old JWs tend to double down on their beliefs

In public, of course. What are they going to do, get tossed out for "causing divisions" right when they need help the most?

Though there's no way to know for certain, I have to believe that many, in those quiet moments, when no one else is around, lying in bed & wondering "is tomorrow the day I don't wake up?".....that's when it hits.

• JWTom
    JWTom

I find that many older JDubs get to the point where they are tired of the JW Land Rat Race and start to get lazy about everything related to their role in the Borg. I comment regularly on Reddit that pure laziness can explain many of the ridiculous things that have taken place in JW Land since around 1995.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit