Reformers repeat mistake....

by mizpah 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• mizpah
    mizpah

I'm reading a fascinating book, God's Best Seller, by Brian Moynahan. In it he documents how a few men like Wycliff and Tyndale risked their lives to make the Bible available to the common people. The Catholic church violently opposed these efforts and persecuted all who were involved in the translating, publishing and distributing the Scriptures. The great Reformers followed through and broke the oppressive ecclesiastical system of the Catholic church.

However, the sad fact is that some of the Reformers repeated the same mistake as the Church. They aligned themselves with political leaders to secure their positions. And then they ended up persecuting those that were in opposition to them. They justified this by proclaiming that "heretiks" were worse than murderers in God's sight.

It reminded me of what happen in Bethel twenty years ago. The Watchtower's Governing Body started persecuting those members who were studying the Bible and sharing the research. The Society has implied that "apostates" are worse than all other sinners. And this paranoia continues to this day.

One phrase in the book sums up the narrow view held by the Watchtower Society: "...dorness often bred by intense faith and moral certitude."

• OHappyDay
    OHappyDay

Hello, mizpah. Yes, 20 years ago a breath of spiritual fresh air flowed through the Society. By now, it could have produced a more hospitable, loving, Christ-centered organization. But alas, it was viciously snuffed out, and we are mired in the same dictatorial atmosphere as before.

Because "power corrupts, and absolute power corrupts absolutely," it is only the "apostates" who accomplish anything good. The apostle Paul was accused of being an "apostate" from Moses (Acts 21:21) and early Christianity was considered to be an apostasy from Judaism. It is autocratic religion that makes "apostasy" necessary.

• mizpah
    mizpah

Ohappyday:

It always amazes me how quickly human organizations detriorate from their original purposes and goals. Groups form with altruistic ideals. But humans take control and use the organization for their own selfish purposes. Dissidents leave and form new groups. This pattern has repeated itself in the numerous religious sects we have today.

Russell was orginally "anti-organization." But by the end of his presidency, he became the head of a religious organization...however loosely it was in form. But Rutherford became its authoritarian leader who tolerated no opposition what-so-ever. And Jehovah's Witnesses live with this legacy to this day.

I think it does become a matter of authority and power as you mentioned. But this also contains the seeds of self destruction. The "apostates" who have left the organization have been very vocal and active in denouncing the spiritual dictatorship of the Watchtower Society. And the bad publicity that has been generated has alerted people to the dangers of this organization.

What I find fascinating is that the long history of the church has been repeated in the short history of the Watchtower Society. ("The more things change, the more it remains the same.")

• Spudinator
    Spudinator

Good points. It seems that all efforts to reform the Watchtower have resulted in the Society's counter-reformation damage control. And yet the "apostates" are hitting the target so often, the Watchtower is flinching from time to time. Unfortunately, not enough. But perhaps another battle will be won soon in this religious war.

• run dont walk
    run dont walk
    It reminded me of what happen in Bethel twenty years ago. The Watchtower's Governing Body started persecuting those members who were studying the Bible and sharing the research. The Society has implied that "apostates" are worse than all other sinners. And this paranoia continues to this day.

Ironic isn't it !!!!!!!!!!!!!!

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

OHappyDay

It is autocratic religion that makes "apostasy" necessary.

I'm trying to rap that around my head but it keeps bouncing off.

Perhaps this is your point and I just missed it? One act of apostasy begets another?

• AnnOMaly
    AnnOMaly

Autocratic religion stifles any freedom of thought and expression. When ppl feel suffocated in an autocratic system and see inconsistencies in doctrine, they have to dissent and break away. If the religious system allowed more latitude, there would be no reason to dissent.

Therefore, "It is autocratic religion that makes "apostasy" necessary."

• refiners fire
    refiners fire

.."dourness often bred by intense faith and moral certitude."...

Ive never read a satisfactory explanation of what causes this phenomena of a movement founded on freedom of thought and expression transforming into a rigid and inflexible hierachy. It seems to be one of the mysteries of the universe.

For my own part I can only discern that where there is a pyramidal organizational structure ( the most recurring form of heirachy) coupled with a Totalistic belief (read a "truth") then that is where, (political history demonstrates) the stiffling of dissent, history fabrication, seperation, etc etc, will come to be practised.

• plmkrzy
    plmkrzy

Thank you AnnOmaly

for that explanation,but, my comment was in gust...a joke. As in the acts of religious organizations is in itself an act of apostasy. Which in turn would more or less automatically remove the act of apostasy from the apostate since apostate b would not be apostate if not for the apostasy of apostate a. However, since it is not uncommon for my dark or ?left? sided humor to do a fly by around the board I might start explaining it for a while.

• Satanus
    Satanus
    It always amazes me how quickly human organizations detriorate from their original purposes and goals. Groups form with altruistic ideals. But humans take control and use the organization for their own selfish purposes. Dissidents leave and form new groups. This pattern has repeated itself in the numerous religious sects we have today.

It's because of the nature of the bible. While jesus espoused some good principles, the authoritarionism and exclusivism of the remainder is emulated most times. Only a small part of the bible is really a positive influence.

As well, there are many conflicts and contradictions in the bible. When a religion becomes established on parts of the bible that suits it, it feels threatened by groups that base themselves on conflicting parts. In this way christianity is a roiling chauldren that constantly recycles itself.

SS

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit