Cars at the Kingdom Hall

by YellowLab 24 Replies latest jw friends

• YellowLab
    YellowLab

The cars I've seen most in the Kingdom Hall parking lot: the familiar, dull 4-door car, the family minivan, or the old beater. Sometimes the occasional 2-door car, which was generally frowned upon for service. I don't recall anything particular flashy, like a sports car, BMW, Mercedes, etc. Of course there were some nicer cars for families who were better off financially (translated: those who actually went to college and got a degree). Those were usually the ones that drove in service.

OK, let's hear it... what kind of car did you drive when you were a Dub?

I drove a '79 Olds Cutlass, an '85 Honda Accord hatchback, and a '88 Honda Accord. All 2-doors, too.

• shotgun
    shotgun

The cars all depend on the wealth of the territory...One hall I was in the lot was full of Mercedes, BMW's and Lexus....my 92 pontiac 4 door was out of place...but it was paid for.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12

You needed a ladder to get into mine ! But it was great for "rural" territory

• maxwell
    maxwell

I drove an 85 Mazda 626, then 88 Honda Civic when I was a teen. Then later an 86 Honda Accord. I kept that even after I got a job that allowed me to move out of my parents house. After I left the JW, I sold it. One less thing to worry about.

At both KHs I went to, someone drove a Lexus. There were also Cadillacs and Lincolns and SUVs. But they were definitely not what the majority drove. Late model foreign cars were pretty much the norm. 4-door of course.

• Bendrr
    Bendrr

'76 Mustang II when I was 16. Given to me by my grandfather. Plenty of flack over that one. Out of the 3 elders' sons I was the first to turn 16 and get a license and a car so of course there was plenty of jealousy and backbiting on the part of the elder fathers.

After the 'stang, I had a '77 Pontiac Catalina for a while until the block cracked. Then I went out car hunting and found a real gem. A '78 Dodge Monaco. This was in '89 and it only had 32,000 miles on it! Paint was perfect, vinyl top was perfect, interior was perfect, the 318 ran strong, it was a hell of a car! Handled like one half its size. The speedometer only went to 100 but I found that on the interstate I could run up to 100 and still had plenty of power to spare.

I sure miss the old Dodge! Last I saw it, it had changed hands a couple of times and been severely neglected. The last time I saw it a guy had bought it and was rebuilding the engine to put in his van.

Mike.

• garybuss
    garybuss

Black 1959 Cadillac 4 door, then a white '60, then a black '64.

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

I used to drive a 79 volkswagen rabbitt. Sunshine yellow in apperance. I later got a 95 toyota celica convertible and got serious flak.

• JH
    JH

In my active dub years from 87 91 and then on and off from 91 to 2001

I drove a 86 Nissan Micra, then a 88 Nissan Sentra, then a 89 Micra, then a 90 Toyota corolla, then a 93 Geo Metro, then a 96 Suzuki Swift, a 97 Geo Metro, 98 chevrolet Metro, 99 Metro, 00 Suzuki Swift, 02 Toyota Corolla, and now I have a 03 Honda civic that I don't share with them anymore.

I always had small cars and often 2 door cars. Then funny part is that when I was active I had a 2 door car , and when I was inactive I had a 4 door car like now. That must have pissed them off...

• ikhandi
    ikhandi

JH what is the obsession with you and Metros?

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

The last vehicle I drove as a dub, which I still drive, is a 1998 Ford F150 Pickup. Before that I drove a 2 door van.

The elders tried to give me a hard time about it, but in my opinion, as long as I'm paying for it, it's none of their f**king business. And that's essentially what I told them.

Walter

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit