My Friend Daniel..

by Valis 20 Replies latest jw friends

• cruzanheart
    cruzanheart

I am so sorry to hear that -- please tell Daniel that I hope he feels better soon! That's a nasty area at the best of times, let alone 2:00 a.m.

Nina

• Valis
    Valis

Thanks for your comments everyone. Dan is one of those old time friends that put up with you through thick and thin, and I would gladly return the favor. For those of you that have been to my house for a fish fry or party you might remember him. He was the big guy w/a beard and curly hair...he also works at the Gas Pipe on Maple for those of you who might have wandered in there for one reason or another....ahem...

shiloh, perhaps sometime we can meet up?

Sincerely,

District Overbeer

• shiloh
    shiloh

Valis,

Absolutely. I'm always good for a lunchtime meetup during the week if you can swing something like that.

Let me know!

PS. But only if you keep that nipple ring covered up!!!!

• Big Tex
    Big Tex

Ouch!

That hurts just reading about it. I'm sorry to hear this Valis, but considering he was traveling on 635, thank God it wasn't worse for him. An accident on a motorcycle without a helmet can be deadly.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

In Pennsylvania, the motorcycle helmet law was recently repealed. Even PA governor Ed Rendell was in favor of the law's repeal. Perhaps he should read more stories like that of your friend.

Bikers can ditch helmets Since 1968, Pennsylvania motorcyclists have been required by law to wear helmets. In September, the law will be repealed, giving the state's motorcyclists the choice of whether or not to don helmets.The repeal of the law, which is supported by Gov. Ed Rendell, is causing a lot of controversy. One side of the argument is freedom. The other side is safety.
    Gov. Rendell signed a bill into law in early July, passed by the state senate in late June, repealing Pennsylvania's safety law for riders and passengers over the age of 21. It will go into effect September 4.
    While many motorcyclists are elated they will be able to ride without donning helmets, some medical professionals and politicians are definitely not in favor of the repeal. State Senator Jack Wagner, a Democrat from Beechview, Pa., has voiced his opposition along with medical professionals and accident survivors who say the repeal will increase health care costs associated with head injuries.
    "Many say they still intend to wear helmets," said Carol Bebawi, with the Pennsylvania Motorcycle Safety Program. "We are a training operation here," she said, explaining that anyone riding a motorcycle for the organization's training must wear a helmet.
    A spokesperson for PennDot was even more nonchalant about the upcoming repeal.
    "Obviously the Governor signed it into law, and we support the Governor," said Joan Nissley. Nissely said they haven't had too many calls or questions with regard to the topic. She said their concern at PennDot right now is making sure communications are updated properly with the new information.
    "We are in the process of changing our publications to update the information," she said.
    Chad Meyer is affected in another way. As the owner of Caln Classic Cycles in Coatesville, Meyer sees all kinds of motorcyclists, ranging from the novice to experienced rider. He sees helmet use as a must for the former group.
    "Definitely new riders. They need the protection," said Meyer. "Most of the time I'll wear a helmet myself," he said, despite the fact that he's had more than 20 years of riding experience.
    Caln Classic Cycles' mechanic Mike Robinson said that one thing unites those riders who are more likely to fall off their cycles: inexperience. For novice riders, Robinson and Meyer recommend full-face protection with chin clips. They said even a fall at a relatively low speed of 15 or 20 mph can cause fairly severe head or facial injuries.
    "I have four or five different helmets," said Meyer, explaining that different helmets work for different riding scenarios, everything from racing to leisure. "I've destroyed helmets. They will save your life, and it is worthwhile wearing it. It's not as cool," he said. And, cool can relate to both temperature-as the inside of a heavy helmet gets pretty warm-as well as looking cool.
    Meyer said that anyone who argues that wearing helmets is more dangerous than not wearing helmets is simply wrong. He said that while he understands that not wearing a helmet should be the right and privilege of the rider, helmets usually do what they're supposed to do. Meyer said that one of the biggest threats to riders is cars with drivers who aren't always alert.
    "People around here don't look for bikes, and they don't see the bike. You've got to be real defensive when riding a motorcycle. Everybody's in such a hurry," said Meyer. "They don't pay attention; they're on their cell phones," he said, pointing to one of a number of situations that can present harm to motorcyclists.
    Wagontown residents Tammy Serata and her husband Bob Bale are customers at Caln Cycles. Serata and Bale both have their motorcycle licenses, and they went through the safety program. They also believe in wearing helmets.
    "We're firm believers in safe riding, which includes full-face helmets. However, I believe that that decision is up to the individual, not the state," said Serata. "I would never even ride in short pants," she said, saying she likes her skin too much to subject it to the ground in the event of a fall. "But, again, people do it all the time, and that's their prerogative."

• Gadget
    Gadget

I hope our friends doing ok. In my part of the world it doesn't really get hot enough to ride in shorts so always wear my leathers/body armour etc. And we have to wear helmets by law. Our roads are in bad condition so we have to be careful just riding down the street watching for potholes, diesel etc. I've never came off a bike yet, but had a friend who was killed on one a few years back.

• anglise
    anglise

Hi Valis

so sorry to hear about your friends accident. I hope he makes a good recovery.

Poor Dan and he was taking evasive action as well

We had an accident years ago. A car knocked us and we went across the road. Luckily it wasnt busy and other half was already trying to avoid the impact so we where already headed away from them when we collided (driver was trying to do a "U" turn across our path). We were both well protected and fortunately had on helmets with visors - this was before helmets were a legal requirement and most didnt have visors as standard - as we slid across the tarmac on our faces.

Only a few bumps and bruises and a damaged knee. So we came of OK. Still shakes you up and even now I cringe to see anyone riding with bare arms or legs.

Best wishes to Dan.

Anglise

• Beans
    Beans

Ouch, hope he gets well soon!

• Special K
    Special K

Sorry about your friend..

Helmets mandetory here in Canada..

sincerely

special k

• Stacy Smith
    Stacy Smith

I hope he heals soon. My dad rides a road bike and from what he says road rash sucks.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit