My poor non-JW grandmother!! (long)

by starfish422 10 Replies latest jw experiences

• starfish422
    starfish422

I am so annoyed right now I could just spit.

First, some background info: My brother's mother-in-law (a JW) seems to feel as though she has some special connection to my gramma because they have both lost their husbands. She's a good 10 - 15 years younger than Gramma; and, truth be told, Gramma doesn't especially like her. My gramma is NOT a JW. She is a strong member of the United Church. A couple of years ago, this woman (I'll call her Betty) was talking to my gramma, just shortly after the death of my grandfather. Gramma expressed her beliefs that she would see my grandfather in heaven; and Betty immediately exclaimed, "Oh, but you won't!" My grandmother was so upset; but would never be so tactless as Betty had been, and so did not tell Betty, as she should have, to go straight to hell and not pass go. Since then, Betty takes every opportunity that she sees my gramma (which, I admit, isn't that often) to share the "good news of the kingdom" with Gramma...much to my gramma's tremendous discomfort. My parents & grandparents came to an agreement many years ago that they would not bother each other with their religious beliefs, an arrangement that both parties honoured and it has worked well. Apparently the arrangement doesn't extend to Betty.

My siblings had an anniversary party for my parents recently; and my gramma was naturally invited. (Wondering whether I was invited? LOL I wasn't.) Betty was there, and latched on to my grandmother & didn't let go. My gramma finally had to say, "Well, my beliefs are different. I'm going to get some food." And had to physically walk away from her to get rid of her!! ARRGGHH!!!

When Betty first made the comment a couple of years ago about Gramma not seeing her husband in heaven, I was tempted to write her a letter. As I had never known her to be a thoughtless person, though, I decided to bite my tongue. Now, I've had enough. Here's the letter I'm sending her:

I am writing to you today concerning your behaviour toward my grandmother, Xxxxx Xxxxxxx. I know you have seen her several times in the past couple of years, and I am told that you have taken these opportunities to "witness" to her and share "the good news of the kingdom".

I realize that you believe you are offering comfort or hope to her when you witness to her. In reality, you are deeply offending her and making her tremendously uncomfortable. It is terribly disrespectful to her that you keep barraging her with your JW beliefs, although she has made it clear that she does not share those beliefs. I am thinking, in particular, about an incident several years ago when you bluntly told her that she would not see her husband again in heaven. How dare you presume to foist your beliefs on her and hurt her feelings in such a manner!

My parents and grandparents long ago came to an understanding to agree to disagree, and not discuss doctrinal differences. Imagine what your reaction would be if my grandmother tactlessly blasted you with United Church doctrine each time you met! You would quickly end the conversation, and not be drawn into doctrinal discussions with someone of different beliefs. Please extend the same courtesy to her that you expect for yourself.

My grandmother has expressed her deep discomfort (and, frankly, utter exasperation) at the way you continue to pester her with JW doctrine. I have never known you to be a thoughtless person, and so I hope that you will accept this in the spirit in which it is intended, as a plea on my grandmother?s behalf that she would never make herself. Please respect that she does not share your beliefs, and leave her alone.

• Celia
    Celia

Very good. Someone's got to tell her to stop !

• bebu
    bebu

So, as I understand it, the rest of your family does not see any problem with this, and does not ask her to stop? I am guessing that you are getting all this info from gramma, right? Has gramma mentioned anything to anyone else in the family? She should, and she should insist on being heard. That might solve the problem.

Or maybe gramma could talk with Betty. Maybe you could encourage her (give her suggestions) to give a kind of ultimatum to Betty: Betty, I know you are trying to show care for me, but I've already evaluated this and am not changing my mind. I am asking you not to bring up this subject with me again.

If Betty can't leave gramma alone, then you might send that letter. Talk with your gramma, and show her your letter. She might dissuade you from mailing it, but I'll bet she'll feel very glad to know how much you care for her.

Anyway, I think if you can avoid being directly involved, the better. If people think YOU are a troublemaker, you'll have to work harder to prove them wrong. Give encouragement and advice if gramma needs it in the meantime.

Good luck here. Your gramma is lucky to have such a caring granddaughter.

bebu

• Flowerpetal
    Flowerpetal

That's is a good letter and the other suggestions are great too.

My mom told me years ago, when she was full of zeal for the "troof", and was trying to "witness" to her sister, who is Roman Catholic, her sister told her "Look, if you want us to still be friends, then stop talking about your religion to me." Well mom got the hint, and valued her love and friendship for her sister more than being a witness, and stopped preaching to her.

• acsot
    acsot

Maybe you could give your grandmother some ammunition to use on "Betty", i.e. child molestation, the WTS' continued victimization of Viki Boer, the UN scandal. Get your grandmother to let Betty know that she's very well aware of what the WTS does and she doesn't want to hear anything further from these false prophets.

• starfish422
    starfish422

Thank you for all of your suggestions, folks. :)

Bebu, I am going to pass along what you said, to my grandmother. I'm sure it's something that's tactful and gentle enough that she wouldn't mind saying it. What really burns me is that I have respected their wishes (that I not contact them) for 10 years, and yet she doesn't respect the wishes of others, even though my grandmother has expressed that she has different beliefs. I don't care if any of them see me as a troublemaker; I'm just sticking up for my gramma. She doesn't want to offend anyone but I sure as hell don't mind doing it on her behalf.

Ascot, while *I* certainly wouldn't hesitate to bring up the abuse issues, my grandmother would never get into a debate about that sort of thing; she just wants to be left alone about it.

• Swan
    Swan
    What really burns me is that I have respected their wishes (that I not contact them) for 10 years, and yet she doesn't respect the wishes of others, even though my grandmother has expressed that she has different beliefs.

Ooooh! That's good. You may want to include that in the letter. Rephrase it, of course, to something like:

For 10 years I have respected the family's wishes that I not contact anyone, but because you don't respect that my grandmother has different beliefs, I am compelled to write.
  • rocketman
    rocketman
    My mom told me years ago, when she was full of zeal for the "troof", and was trying to "witness" to her sister, who is Roman Catholic, her sister told her "Look, if you want us to still be friends, then stop talking about your religion to me."

Wow flowerpetal, interesting how your aunt was so direct, and your mom got the point and made the correction!

• rocketman
    rocketman

Bebu had some good suggestions, and yes, getting directly involved can be difficult. I hope it works out.

• morty
    morty

GO STARFISH GO!!!!!

YOUR GRANDMA SHOULD BE SO PROUD OF YOU..

I CAN TELL YOU HAVE ALL CONCERNS FOR YOUR

GRANDMA...KEEP UP YOUR GOOD WORK!!!

MICHELLE

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit