The boring and uneventful lives of a JW

by YellowLab 17 Replies latest jw friends

• nobody told me
    nobody told me

that's why everyone gossips so much, nobody has a real life.

• shamus
    shamus

Right on! Not one person has a life... so they gossip and study.

Pathetic, isn't it?

• IronGland
    IronGland

Agreed yellow lab. They would really be suprised to go to a relatives house on christmas day and find people actually enjoying it and no one bankrupted themselves buying the gifts. No doubt they would also be pleasantly suprised to go to a birthday party and find that when the platter is brought out it contains a cake, not a human head. As a non JW, theres a holiday nearly every month to look forward to. Even if you're not religious. St Paticks day-woohoo-get together with friends and go drink. Memorial day-woohoo go to the beach a drink with friends. 4th of july, labor day. Then around this time of year, the really fun stuff starts. Halloween = Great party holiday. Thanksgiving, christmas are great because people comein from out of town that you dont get a chance to see the rest of the year, then another party for new years. And birthdays mean a personal holiday dedicated to yourself :). And it's not selfish either because you do the same for others on their bday. I dont remember how I handled being a dub as a kid with nothing to ever look forward to, and then scripturally justifying being a scrooge.

• Dawn
    Dawn

that's why everyone gossips so much, nobody has a real life. yep...yep...totally agree there. I was so totally bored at all the meetings & assemblies - I dreaded them. Now I know why - I HAVE A BRAIN! Yes - I want to learn - and rehashing mindless drivel molded to look like doctrine was boring me to death. I love having the freedom to really dig into things now. I'm a Christian but not afraid to look at other possibilities - I'm taking anthropology right now and have a few other classes in line I'd like to pursue. Using my mind is a wonderful thing. Oh yea - and having 2 more free nights is great too - now I'm taking that dance class I always wanted to, and going back to college.

• gumby
    gumby

Yellowlab,

You used common sense. More people should use common sense. A person as yourself can be a good person and enjoy life. As long as we don't harm others......what argument against that idea makes any sense?

Gumby

• tyydyy
    tyydyy

I kinda miss spending my summer vacations sitting at a convention and being told not to go out and have fun at night................NOT!!!!!!!!!!!!

• Austrian
    Austrian

Yellowlab you said it well. Now that I have been out for awhile I can now see how depressed everyone I know that is a jdub is. My younger sister told me that my mother takes prozac for the depression. When my sister was still living at home my mother had her put on prozac too. When she left home the depression stopped and so did the drugs. I've been told by many xdubs that I wouldn't believe how many dubs are on anti-depressants....

• YellowLab
    YellowLab

I'm on anti-depressants too, but only because I have two sons under the age of 4.

Really though, the psychological damage that is being done to the JWs is mind-boggling. In speaking with several therapists after I left the "troof", you'd be surprised how many JWs come through their doors. When you mention you used to be a JW, they will say "Oh yes, I am well aware of the problems they face." There always seems to be some hidden drama behind the "perfect" Witness front they put forward, whether it be wayward kids, marital strife, domestic abuse, just to name a few.

A power-trip fashion show, yeah, that's what the meetings are... "Look, I'm a Dub. I'm supposed to be humble, but look at my car, my clothes, my hours in service, my perfect kids who listen on command."

VOMIT ALERT

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit