Who else is having a hard time with depression right now?

by czarofmischief 35 Replies latest jw friends

• berylblue
    berylblue

E-man, I don't think I've said this before, but you are one hell of a fabulous guy.

Now, back to topic...

I am getting worse. It just dawned on my during one of my recent diatribes here that I've been off my anti-d for two weeks. That's about the time when one would expect to see changes in mood.

Proof, at least to me, that my depression is chemical in nature. Every time I go off the meds, I get depressed. One would think I would be careful not to, but I couldn't get in touch with the doctor (as usual) so I 've changed and have to wait for an appointment.

• Gadget
    Gadget
    The full moon is soon upon us - ask anyone who works in a prison or hospital - it makes folks a bit

c-r-a-z-y!!!

I can vouch for that one. I never believed the stories about people howling out of their window at the full moon until I heard it for myself one night. And I tend to go up and down in waves. I was down, but feeling great now because of some news I got yesterday.

• Guest 77
    Guest 77

Its really tough to put a finger on what causes depression in each and everyone of us.There are so many factors that come into play such as physical, emotional handicaps, lack of money/ friends, chemical imbalance, poor diet, personal tragedy and the list goes on, name it and we have it.

My question to you is, what have been doing to correct or understand your situation? Frustration, disappointments, negative talk and experiences is bad food for people who are prone to be depressed. Do we 'engage' in positive activities, exercises, trips, conversations again, name it, we have it.

I engage in many activities and these activities present a challenge to me because I'm faced with constant problems. What do I do? I fix'em, ASAP. Lingering unsolved problems only feeds what's ailing us. Zero in on what disturbs/upsets you and correct it to the best of your ability.

I've told this story before and I'm going to share it again. When my 10 year-old grand daughter use to visit us, she would always be depressed, you see, her mother denied her daughter any positive emotional attention. What did I do? I made it a point to always hug her when we would see each other, after three years she has become a changed person, no words, just hugging. A small practice, but it works! Kind words and acts go along way. Mind you, this worked in my case, but really, love never fails. How about asking ourselves the question, how much do we love ourselves? What are doing or saying that shows we love ourselves? I make these comments because I'm speaking from experience.

Guest 77

• bebu
    bebu
    Feeling depressed is seperate from depression. Feeling down in the dumps for a few weeks is not depression - it is feeling depressed.

I can agree... but here's the trouble. When you are in the midst of severe depressed feelings, and you DON'T know how long it will last, or if you will EVER get out... does that mean that the experience is "less" just because eventually you did find a way out apart from medicine? How do we know the future? The inherent nature of depression lies in the fact that we just don't know how long this darkness will continue.

I wouldn't scorn anyone who feels depressed over "trivial matters". No matter what the cause of depression, there is an overwhelming sense/belief that life will never change for the better, or that suffering over a loss will eclipse joy for good. The past was the best, and it is gone, too.

The depressed periods I went through were the worst things I've ever experienced in my life!! I lost a lot of weight I didn't need to lose, and could barely function at work. During each of these periods, I sincerely wrestled with the belief that I would never, never be happy again like I was happy before. It is horrible to have people who dont' understand you, why you "just can't get over it". There is one hell for sure, anyway, and it's depression.

Anyway, I certainly agree that there is a difference between simple "good days and bad days" and depression. I guess the trouble is, experiences being so personal, you just need to take the other person's word about it if they say they are depressed.

bebu

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32

shamus... thank you... well said.

I might add that true clinical depression may also have no tangible cause. Standard "feeling depressed" can usually be blamed on circumstances.... circumstances that would make anyone feel down in the dumps.

With clinical depression it may be impossible to identify any such event that should be causing the depressed feelings.

That's been my experience based on seeing some close people who have or have had clinical depression.

• DanTheMan
    DanTheMan

I get in a funk this time of year, then it lifts after the winter solstice. Some sort of primal thing, maybe. The next couple of months will be rough going.

I have some things to look forward too though, like my birthday, getting new glasses, Christmas (YAY) and maybe up to Toronto for the New Years apostafest.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit