Who else is having a hard time with depression right now?

by czarofmischief 35 Replies latest jw friends

• czarofmischief
    czarofmischief

Okay,

I'm a loonie, but it seems that I've been dealing with some pretty severe waves of depression lately. Her Majesty the Czarina went on Prozac last month and it was working wonderfully, until suddenly last week she suddenly had a bad day, and then another, and then another... it's been a week now and we're both in the blahs. And my one co-worker had an anxiety attack and is kind of blah now, too.

Anyway, that makes three people I know of who are having a bad time. Then berylblue posts, having a tough time this week, and Hamas got banned for something he said while in the throes of despair. Tink's ex suddenly bursts into tears (although if I'd let Tink get away I'd be pretty depressed too, not to mention sexually frustrated). The "Help me I feel like killing myself" threads are springing up all over.

Is there something wrong? I mean, is the planet spinning through a depressive cycle or something? Or is the government experimenting with mind control waves transmitted through Internet cookies?

Is there anybody else that has felt a sudden "spike" in their depression within the past two weeks or so?

CZAR

• Gadget
    Gadget

Me too.

• StinkyPantz
    StinkyPantz

My sad thread: http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/6/56715/1.ashx

Maybe it's the moon. . .

((czar))

• freein89
    freein89

Well I certainly have. But I know that part of my problem is due to some family stuff going on. I posted my poor me thread and got a healthy dose of caring. Fixed me right up. But I had already dealt with the depression as a whole and so I was just going through a bout of it. I knew that and asked for and received what I needed. My thanks to all. And what is this about Hamas being banned, is that true? Is there anyway to reach him through the board if that is the case?

Deb

• frenchbabyface
    frenchbabyface

First (((EVERYONE Who NEEDS IT)))

Now should I say anything here ... Well I won't ... best wishes everybody

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Besides the obvious emotional problems that lead to depression, there are also external physical events that trigger depression or make it worse. An example of this is S.A.D. otherwise known as seasonal affective disorder. When you get less light due to the change of seasons (as we are now experiencing) many people become depressed or irriatable. Another factor is geomagentic storms and the seasonal variation of geomagnetic pulsations which are thought to be associated with a lack of motivation, and depression. This time of year is one such low period. Levels of noise, frustration with traffic or anything that causes stress works against you as well.

What can you do about it then? First, things will change in time so that is one factor to consider, but if you live say in an area where it is often overcast and the days are getting shorter, you can buy special lights (bright full spectrum lighting) that you can sit under for about 30-45 min in the morning to eliminate that problem. For more prolonged depression, try a negative ion generator, or take walks on the coast or near waterfalls (lots of negative ions) and even more promising is to try pulsed magnetic therapy. It works extremely well on 30% of the population and some improvement on another 20-30% of cases. It is cheap, painless, and quick. Look at ways of reducing unwanted stress in your life and if you live in an area that exposes you to constant noise, try using the Bose noise cancelling headphones.

Hope this helps.

Skipper

• pamkw
    pamkw

Me too. It has been that way for a few weeks now. Pam

• oldcrowwoman
    oldcrowwoman

Yes I would like to blame it on the planets. But that does'nt work for me. I've been on Celexa its takes the edges off with the depression and does wonders with the anxiety. So I do know its working on some level. I do walk through the depression for me its not so dark that I am groping right now.

For me its has to do with whats going on. Right now I am dealing with situational situations. So I have a full plate right now

One of the key's is to keep talking and not shut down. It helps with the sting of it all.

((((((To All ))))

Old Crow

• jwbot
    jwbot

I have been really depressed lately for 2 main reasons, things going on in my life and the seasonal change. I have S.A.D. and I live in Maine, one of the most northern states in the US known for its harsh winters. Summer is over and it left as fast as it came. All of a sudden, there is no sun because it is so cloudy and gloomy, and then the temperature dropped so fast.

There is a lot going on in my life too, and my relationship. Mike and I are devoted to eachother but sometimes I feel he does not see what I do to show him that I appreciate him. That hurts me. On the one hand, I do not want to change the style I do things (I do not show much emotion, I was never like that) and on the other hand, I want to change and be the perfect girlfriend. I do not think he wants me to change, but I think he gets depressed because he doesn't understand completely yet that I am not as emotional as some people-so it might not show so much the love I have for him. He is the romantic type, I am not, I am more of the provider type, showing my love more in a material level. (I am the masculine, he is the feminine type?)

I think deep down he wants me to be more emotional and lovey...so I do not know anymore

Last night we got in a huge fight and almost broke up. When we were driving, I wanted to jump out the door when going 50mph. I was so distressed. I have been contemplating suicide...but I do that so often it seems lately...that maybe it should not worry myself or anyone? I do not think I would actually kill myself...but I am just not sure anymore.

Anyway, thats my sad (S.A.D.) story...I do not want pity or anything, but I just wanted you to know that I definitely relate. When I have some extra cash, I will go tanning again, I hear that helps (artificial light).

• Mindchild
    Mindchild

Jwbot,

Sorry to read of your situation. May I suggest that the tanning approach to light therapy isn't practical because of the UV can cause eye damage. Instead, I suggest the inexpensive approaches this website features for light therapy: http://www.lightmask.com/

In it you can buy a special pulsed light mask for the cost of two tanning sessions that only requires minutes of your time each day to work.

Regarding your damped emotional state, you should be aware that much of our behavior is determined by our genes. There are many people who through reasons of genetic replication or culture, are less emotionally expressive than others. Trying to change who you are, at such a fundamental level, is an uphill battle and would probably create resentment on your part for not being true to yourself. We can celebrate our differences in a relationship and enjoy the benefits of diversity or we can demand that our siginificant other conform to our model of how we want to see them. Ask your partner if he wants you to act a role or be who you really are. None of this doesn't mean that you can't work out some behavioral strategies to make life more enjoyable for both of you. Just make sure it is an equal power/trade exchange. Good communication between both of you and understanding will hopefully go a long ways towards making your life less stressful and more enjoyable.

Kind Regards,

Skipper

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit