Capitalizing names

by john.prestor 13 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• sparky1
    sparky1

The term "elder" or "circuit overseer" are common nouns and do not refer to a particular person or entity and are therefore not to be capitalized when used in a sentence. The term "Governing Body" ( which I believe the average Witness assumes is a shortened form of Governing Body of Jehovah's Witnesses) is a proper noun which refers to a specific named group or entity and therefore should be capitalized when used in a sentence. As a side note, I have continually made the grammatical error of capitalizing both elder and circuit overseer in my postings.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I mean I get what you're getting at but do you get what I mean about the ranking it subtly constructs? The kinda comparative thing? Other faiths capitalize Elder, the Mormons for example, and most Elders aren't that old.

• sparky1
    sparky1

I see what you are driving at John. Not being raised as a Witness, I am sure that this is confusing for you. Titles are anathema to Jehovah's Witnesses but by the same token they love their positions and ranking. In the Baptist tradition it would be good manners to introduce you as Deacon John. However, in the Jehovah's Witness tradition you would be Brother John, one of our ministerial servants. Go figure. It's just more of the Jehovah's Witness schizophrenic, 'new language', 'pure language' doublethink. But you are 100% correct in thinking that those 'higher up on the theocratic food chain' try to keep their subordinates in their place. Ask any ex-Bethelite here and they can attest to the 'unwritten' hierarchy rules in Jehovah's loving theocratic arrangement.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

That's a fair point, and I respect the fact that you know how the Baptist faith works. It's less subtle about the power dynamic and the status, but JWs kinda submerge it, it lurks below the surface like an alligator, hides in the implicit like a name you can't quite remember. Thanks for drawing that out.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit