Going out in service.

by Fader812 14 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Fader812
    Fader812

I loved going out in service, I would empty my book bag out on the counter at the laundromat, walk out and go get a doughnut, I had a lot of hours and placements on my time card. I really hated talking to people, the anxiety was too much for me to handle, good thing my service partner felt the same way.

• stillin
    stillin

But, were you happified?

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

I hated the door to door ministry (we dont use the word "service" here in the UK). I didn't pretend to enjoy it either. I quite openly said it to people i was working with out in the ministry. Reason being i knew i was annoying people, i didn't know who was going to open the door and i cant sell an idea if i dont really believe it myself. I never understood why people claimed to enjoy it. Whats to enjoy?

I would always try to work with people that, like me, couldn't stand it and was only doing it because you have to fill your report slip in dont you? I employed the usual tactics: "feather knocking" that no one could hear. Pretending to press the door bell. Offering to work in the apartment blocks and not knocking on any door. One time i was working with a young brother who knocked quite loudly, i jokingly said "shh! They'll hear you!" he looked at me confused and said "they're supposed to hear us!" - two days later i got a surprise visit by two elders asking me about this.

Snitching little *******

Eventually a blank report slip became my canvas. I would just make up hours and placement numbers. I did the same for my then-wife too. She hated ministry even more than i did.

Im glad i left before the video presentations took off. No way would i walk around my territory in Liverpool with an iPad. You'd never see it again!

• HereIgo
    HereIgo

To me, the only fun to be had was just the association with my friends, the many starbucks breaks etc. But, as far as the act of going door to door, I outwardly had a zealous attitude, but deep down, I dreaded it and hoped the householder didn't answer.

• Chook
    Chook

Australian rural territory was the go, we would only talk to 1-6 people a day never more Easy 7 hours on the report card. My problem was I use to believe the bullshit , nothing like a devoted cult follower. What I did enjoy was the architecture and landscaping ideas I got.

• pale.emperor
    pale.emperor

Australian rural territory was the go, we would only talk to 1-6 people a day never more Easy 7 hours on the report card. My problem was I use to believe the bullshit , nothing like a devoted cult follower. What I did enjoy was the architecture and landscaping ideas I got.

Sounds great Chook.

Meanwhile, in Liverpool...

• tepidpoultry
  • scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

...good thing my service partner felt the same way.

How so? As a JW I never had one person that would go with me to preach, and I never had a saying about who I'd go with. We were always paired up with people. You always went to preach with that one person only?

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

The Ministry 2017

• tepidpoultry
    tepidpoultry

scratchme1010:

Could make "private arrangements" We used to Courtâ„¢ this way :)

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit