Here's a morbid thought...

by Rainbow_Troll 27 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

It probably will never happen but... Imagine the GB recieved some new light that told them the great tribulation was imminent. The world is going to hell and all JWs can expect until armageddon is terrible persecution the likes of which no Christian has ever experienced in two thousand years. But Jehovah has a solution: put yourself and your family 'to sleep' and after armageddon's over, Jehovah will 'wake his people up' at the resurrection. How many JWs would be willing to go through with it. None? A few? Most? All?

Considering how many JWs have allowed their own children and spouses to die when they needed a blood tranfusion, I'm betting most would happily chug the kool-aid and die with a big, bovine grin on their faces.

Frankly, this is one of my nightmares. I know it seems improbable now, but keep in mind that even Heaven's Gate explicitely taught that suicide was wrong.. until Applewhite got his new orders from the saucermen. It wouldn't be hard to pull off either. The Org has a very efficient private grapevine that allows them to swiftly and discretely communicate with any congregation in the world. No need to publish anything in the official publications. It could be done in a matter of hours.

• azor
    azor

When I was first leaving I warned my family to never drink kool aid if they passed it out.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

How do you know the GB is getting "NEW LIGHT" on anything? They've already said they don't receive revelation and that they're fallible. But now you're talking about them advocating suicide. But you give no references, no documentation.

Can you be more specific?

• blondie
    blondie

You mean the koolaid solution? So far that has never been suggested or hinted at even in the days of concentration camps.

• Cold Steel
    Cold Steel

Is that what happened at the end of The Bunker video? The National Guard bursts in through the door and everyone bites into a cyanide capsule?

• Rainbow_Troll
    Rainbow_Troll

It was a hypothetical 'what if?' question. To my best knowledge the governing body has never advocated suicide in any circumstance, not even in the case terminal illness.

As for the GB admitting that they are fallible? That would be nice, but you'll have to show me a publication if you want me to believe that. If the GB thinks they are fallible, then why do they require JWs to conform to every little fiat they issue from their headquarters? I mean, they might be wrong ,so who are they impose their speculations on others? If they are fallible then why does any JW who disagrees with them, even on minor doctrinal points, get put before the holy inquisition (otherwise known as a judicial committee) who asks him to recant his heretical views or else face disfellowshipment? The statement "We are fallible." just doesn't follow from their behavior.

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

I think that this could actually happen, but, it would take several decades of focusing on this to make it a reality for the JW. If the GB came right out and said this, that would be it I think for most JW's and no, I don't think hardly any JW would sign up for it, not right now.

• The Searcher
    The Searcher

Rainbow - February 2017 Study Watchtower, page 26:

• Listener
    Listener

We can expect anything from them, anything other than commonsense from a human standpoint.

DAY TEXT -- Saturday, September 19 - "He will certainly bring about deliverance from the Assyrian."—Mic. 5:6.
    Today, Jehovah certainly has provided an abundance of spiritual men to shepherd his precious sheep, to strengthen his people for the future attack of the modern-day “Assyrian.” The most practical step that we can take to prepare for the coming attack of “the Assyrian” is that of strengthening our faith in God and helping our brothers to do the same. When “the Assyrian” attacks, the elders must be absolutely convinced that Jehovah will deliver us. At that time, the life-saving direction that we receive from Jehovah’s organization may not appear practical from a human standpoint. All of us must be ready to obey any instructions we may receive, whether these appear sound from a strategic or human standpoint or not. Now is the time for any who may be putting their trust in secular education, material things, or human institutions to adjust their thinking. w13 11/15 3:16, 17 Examining the Scriptures—2015
  • jwleaks
    jwleaks

The closer the governing body believe they get to judgment day (i.e. the day the truth about the truth is fully exposed) the more they will seize assets, ask or beg for more money, sell off the church real estate and bunker down in a country retreat.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit