Is it Time For Watchtower Begging Again?

by metatron 21 Replies latest jw friends

• metatron
    metatron

Alas, some expensive Witness traditions have ended - like food service at assemblies or mailed subscriptions.

However, since 1996, the Society has had a tradition of begging for money in the November Watchtower.

I think they hope rich Witnesses will think about re-balancing their portfolios or making changes before the end

of the taxable year in December.

Lawyers and new printing facilities ( to be on-line in 2005) cost a lot of money, so look for their appeal soon.

metatron

• mizpah
    mizpah

"...and the Pharisees were money lovers."

It's ironic that the Watchtower used to condemn the "clergy" for their money loving ways. In the old Watchtower cartoons of the clergy and business interests always had a big dollar sign attached to them in some way. Jehovah's Witnesses used to boast that they were "different." They weren't interested in property and buildings. They were only interested in "spreading the Good News."

But from the 1950s on a fundamental change occurred. Kingdom Halls were erected. Printing facilities were built around the world. Large Bethel complexes were established. Now the Watchtower Society uses these as evidence of how Jehovah has blessed his organization. It's remains as one of the classic "turn arounds" in Watchtower teachings.

• MacHislopp
    MacHislopp

Hello Metatron,

thanks for the reminder...!

As usual there are various ways mentioned in the article

(w. November 1st 2003 , pages 28-29).

Here we go:

*Conditional donation arrangement;

*Charitable planning;

*Bank account;

*Stocks and Bonds;

*Real Estate;

*Gift Annuity;

*Wills and trusts;

NB. For more informations:

Charitable Planning Office

Watch Tower Bible and Tract Society of Pennsylvania

100 Watchtower Drive, Patterson, New York 12563-9204

Telephone : (845) 306-0707

°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°°

Greetings to all,

J.C. MacHislopp

• shamus
    shamus

Didn't they always say that Russell printed in his publications that if they ever had to ask for money, they would disband?

I am sure that I read that, and they were always so proud of it!

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

they always seem to be begging --not just at this time of the year

• Loris
    Loris

Now Now let's be fair. They do not come out and ask for money. They only inform their readers of the provisions of voluntary contributions. The fact that the suggestions are made in November are purely a quinky-dink. If they ever did ask for money then they would know that the big A was near. And they would have to suspend publication like Chuck said.

Loris

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks
    Is it Time For Watchtower Begging Again?

Sure is!

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is the biggest money-grabbing, power-crazed, blackmailing, and down-right evil organisation that pretends to be that of God's that I know of! Know any others?

Spanner

• SpannerintheWorks
    SpannerintheWorks

Loris, LOL!

Spanner

• obiwan
    obiwan

Spanner:

The Watchtower Bible and Tract Society is the biggest money-grabbing, power-crazed, blackmailing, and down-right evil organisation that pretends to be that of God's that I know of! Know any others?

Why don't you tell us how you really feel.

• Nosferatu
    Nosferatu

This reminds me of when Oral Robers went on television and publicly told people that if he didn't raise a million dollars, God was going to call him home.

The only difference is the Society is a lot more subtle, telling people what their money will go toward (even if it's not true). They may operate on donations, but there are constant reminders that the donations are needed to cover publishing costs, Kingdom Hall builds, Child Abuse Lawsuits, Kingdom Hall expenses and Renovations.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit