Cooperate Members of the Watchtower Society

by James Jack 59 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• OrphanCrow
    OrphanCrow
    saint: So it seems as if the bulk of the shareholders (men and women) were happy to give these shares back to the WTBTS directors to do with how they saw fit.

Yeah...I have always figured that the women got lost in the "Against the Resolution - 47 votes". The decision to change the voting shares and structure was not unaminous.

*pssst...Penton was a history professor...not law.

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

If by "the" women you're referring to Russell's inheritors. well maybe.

But as regards voting shares in general the split would have been pretty even regarding gender in those days.

I can see many a mother saving her pennies in a kitchen jar until she had the 10 dollars to buy a share in the Lords work. And many men would have bought shares because they thought they were becoming part of God's theocratic process.

So how come they gave it up so easily/willingly?

• Oubliette
    Oubliette
    Who would buy them?
  • Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt
    *pssst...Penton was a history professor...not law.

Sorry I was actually mixing him up with Gary Botting.

• Half banana
    Half banana

I say this without evidence but perhaps back in the forties, Knorr and those closest to power devised a new company in which to put shares and made themselves shareholders.

Like everyone else who has looked at it there are no clues to the financial backing or security of the org. Is it an agreement with a bank or a private consortium? Whatever it is the governance of the org whichever name it goes under, is hell bent on making and holding on to money...far more than a doomsday cult would ever need if there really were such a thing as Armageddon "practically on our doorstep".

• Saintbertholdt
    Saintbertholdt

Hey Half Banana,

I have a different take: Rutherford taught Knorr how things work. You can live it up, travel first class, see the world, have comfortable lodgings, wield lots of power over the faithful, and want for no material possession while you're alive, but you've got to expand Jehoober's kingdom. So I think Knorr viewed himself as some sort of Prince/King of a spiritual Israel. He got to have a comfortable lifestyle and lifelong reign which he thought God allowed him in exchange for full devotion.

I think the Watchtower leadership back then was delusional, but I don't think they were covertly financially crooked with regards to the stashing of cash/shares.

• fulano
    fulano
    What a fake story....
  • stuckinamovement
    stuckinamovement
    Sounds like the worst stock tip in history.
  • James Jack
    James Jack

Fulano

what is the fake story?

• Barrold Bonds
    Barrold Bonds
    Ummm. What you posted at the beginning. It's literally impossible that this couple has 800k worth of WT stock.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit