The Case For God

by Farkel 47 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Farkel
    Farkel

A caterpillar.

Although there are many more examples in nature for wonderment, the caterpillar is spectacularly unique. Imagine one animal changing into an entirely different species in just a few months;from a multi-legged ugly grub into a stunningly beautiful winged insect. That's not much different than a crocodile going into hibernation and waking up as a man.

I won't live long enough for scientists to totally figure all that stuff out (if they ever can). That's why I'm still a Deist. BibleGod(tm) is an entirely different matter. BibleGod(tm) would be more content to morph butterflies into caterpillars. Or scorpions. And then blame man for it! :D

Farkel

• Englishman
    Englishman

You're certainly a better morphosist than I could ever be.

Englishman.

• stillajwexelder
    stillajwexelder

Yes I too still believe in God -- and it is because of the creation

• gumby
    gumby

Farkle......have you been playing with bugs again damn you?

The catapillar is a beautiful creature and a butterfly even more beautiful. I too find it impossible for myself to adopt evolution as the sole means for our existence. Isee not only the butterfly, but all life as having so much perplexity to it, that I am baffled at who is resposible .....and WHERE are they?

The bible god sickens me, yet the bible is where I got my whole idea of god in the first place.

When you find the answer to all this shit stuff........call me!

Gumby

• logansrun
    logansrun

Farkel,

Unfortunately, for every "nice" example from the biological world you can come up with ten not-so-nice examples.

Germs, poisenous snakes, poisenous frogs (even frogs, dammit!), and flesh-ripping sharks are to name but a few biologics that make me question whether God is nothing more than a Uber-bad-ass. But there is one example that is more God-awful to me than the rest: parasites.

Parasites are one mother-F'ing creature. Actually there are many varities, some of which evolved quite impressingly to fill a niche to live in the human intestinal tract. They have a membrane surrounding their bodies called a cuticle which protects them from being digested like everything else that would normally pass through. They serve no other purpose but to cause human misery. Shit.

Bradley

PS -- I still believe there might be "Something More" to the universe, but examples from the natural world don't really lend belief in a loving, personal God if one is truly honest.

• gumby
    gumby

Maybe we should just start a thread and ask 'is there is a god'?.....and someone will have the answer.

Gumby

• logansrun
    logansrun

I've thought about it a little....

One of the tenets of Deism is that there was a loving, personal Creator who simply made the laws of the universe, got the ball rolling and then does not interfere with the day-to-day goings on of the universe. God would then not be responsible for any of the harmful and repugnant creatures that evolution produced. His approach would be laissez-faire.

But, that would also mean that God would not directly be responsible for any example of beauty and awesomeness in the natural world, including the example of the caterpiller into butterfly. (I believe it is just one species, by the way) You can't have it both ways. Either God is responsible for the good as well as the bad, or he is not responsible for either.

David Hume had a lot to say on this subject. He pointed out a lot of the flaws in the "natural theology" of the Deists. One might as well reason that ours is a universe created by a flawed God -- or a child deity!

Me -- I simply don't know.

Bradley

• jst2laws
    jst2laws

Hi Farkel, While I'm disappointed you did not respond to my comments on your Bible thread I will try again on this one.

BibleGod(tm) would be more content to morph butterflies into caterpillars. Or scorpions. And then blame man for it! :D

I would like to say that I agree 200 % with what you say and defy god to shut me up.

Never mind

Jst2

• Double Edge
    Double Edge
    Imagine one animal changing into an entirely different species in just a few months;

hmmmm.... interesting. Maybe, that in a nutshell is what life's all about....metaphorically speaking of course... (take out "few months" and replace with "lifetime".. )

• Farkel
    Farkel

Logans's Run.

You said:

:Germs, poisenous snakes, poisenous frogs (even frogs, dammit!), and flesh-ripping sharks are to name but a few biologics that make me question whether God is nothing more than a Uber-bad-ass. But there is one example that is more God-awful to me than the rest: parasites.

:Parasites are one mother-F'ing creature. Actually there are many varities, some of which evolved quite impressingly to fill a niche to live in the human intestinal tract. They have a membrane surrounding their bodies called a cuticle which protects them from being digested like everything else that would normally pass through. They serve no other purpose but to cause human misery. Shit.

I was talking about caterpillars and butterflies. Aren't those butterflies beautiful! Isn't it wortwhile to take time out of our day and forget the other crap and live in wonderment about how those caterpillars/butterflies are so BEAUTIFUL?

Or have you lost your grounding about how much beauty and wonderment we still have to enjoy as humans?

The evil creatures will do their thing. They've always done their thing. It's in their genes to do their thing! But as long as those evil critters aren't messing with us, wouldn't it just be nice to enjoy the wonderment of the GOOD stuff we can enjoy?

My glass is full. I revel at the wonderment of my surroundings. And I will die sometime without knowing a single thing about how way it really it is. In otherwords, I will die the same way I was born: a total clueless idiot. Anyone who claims to be more than that is a liar, and one to be pitied.

How is your glass doing, Logans Run? If you consider it to be full then ENJOY LIFE. If you don't, then don't.

Farkel

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit