"ah yes Dad, do you mean those times when Jehovah made those mistakes and errors?"

by stuckinarut2 20 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

So...while chatting with my ultra "spiritual Elder" Father on the phone this afternoon, I couldn't resist using that line!

I had sent him that video of the recent convention showing brothers and sisters dancing to the "kingdom song" and waving their illuminated phones and arms in the air like some sort of revival church concert. (perhaps someone can post that link to that thread again here?)

I asked him again how he felt about that (in a light-hearted way). He tried to excuse it and say that it was ok nowadays etc... I reminded him that as a child I was told to stand respectfully and in a dignified way during songs. As a married man, we were told not to hold our wives hands or put our arms around each other during a prayer. These things were "undignified you know!"

Then he said "But things change, and like older teachings, we as Jehovah's people are refined and grow. Yes, even teachings that were wrong are now adjusted"

I couldn't resist and said: "Oh, so Jehovah made mistakes and errors in the past then right?"

He snapped back and said "NO! Jehovah doesn't make mistakes. He is perfect!"

So I again asked "So when those wrong things were taught, was Jehovah having a bad day? Did he get things wrong before when he directed his Spirit-directed Organization?"

His Cognitive Dissonance obviously got the better of him, and he suddenly had to ring off....

• Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho
    Wake Me Up Before You Jo-Ho

Careful dad - sounds like you're slowly being fashioned after this system of things. Satan works slowly, but cunningly. What was frowned upon years ago is now widely accepted. Like homosexuality. Like divorce rates. Like morphing into a Pentecostal super church.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

I feel your frustration stuck they just cant seem to bring themselves to the obvious conclusion. Hopefully what you have said will make him think ,their have been a lot more people posting here that were in the religion for many years and are now advanced in age so their is always hope I guess.

• Wasanelder Once
    Wasanelder Once

What if they put a hip-hop kingdom song on the broadcast? Would that be a Jehovah inspired improvement? How about some tight pants disco? Times change mister elder dad.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010
    His Cognitive Dissonance obviously got the better of him, and he suddenly had to ring off....

Thanks for sharing. He may not seem like it, but I think that he did listen.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

He might get mad now, but he can't un-hear that line of thinking. Good work!

• DesirousOfChange
    DesirousOfChange

That's how it started with my elderly Super-uber Mom. I'd ask those "digging" questions. Gradually she has come to see some things are "wrong". She hated the video wanting Sophia to give her ice cream money to the WWW contribution box. She has stumbled upon the child abuse issues and some interesting youtube videos when she typed JW(dot)Org into Google instead of the address bar.

Now she occasionally calls me when she hears something that disturbs her at the meetings or assemblies, and it is HER asking those digging questions.

She'll never leave her social group and I don't want her to do that. Where else would she go? But she has cut the money off since realizing that they got BILLION$ from the sale of Brooklyn real estate. Yeah, MOM!

• punkofnice
  • joe134cd
    joe134cd

You got further than me. When I sent that clip along with an actual pentecostal revival meeting, and asked what was the difference I got blocked.

• problemaddict 2
    problemaddict 2

It sounded like the beginning to a bad sitcom that song.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit