Convention canceled in Queensland

by Festus 10 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Festus
    Festus

Apparently a big regional convention in Australia has been cancelled. Instead there will be 14 conventions at the local convention hall.

Does anyone from downunder have any idea about the reason?

• RubaDub
    RubaDub

To cut costs, perhaps they sold the place. Then through a loving provision for the brothers, they were reassigned to the International Convention in Poland.

Rub a Dub

• Vidiot
    Vidiot

I suggested in a previous thread that more and more secular venues might be percieving the JWs as "toxic clients" due to all the bad (albeit deserved) CSA-related publicity...

...and politely declining their patronage.

Luckily for this bunch, the bOrg hadn't sold their AH yet.

Not so much for others around the world. :smirk:

• jonahstourguide
    jonahstourguide

I did know they were at their assembly hall in Park Ridge. Wasn't aware it was anywhere else originally.

I will ring a friend up there.

jtg

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

This isn't the first one this year that got cancelled and moved, I've heard several this year. Perhaps "the friends" aren't covering the full costs and they're dropping "unprofitable customers"

• Pete Zahut
    Pete Zahut
    I suggested in a previous thread that more and more secular venues might be percieving the JWs as "toxic clients" due to all the bad (albeit deserved) CSA-related publicity...

I can see why you'd say that but when you think about it, they have no trouble renting these facilities for concerts and the musicians who sometimes go out of their way to makes sure everyone knows of their bad reputations, not to mention the unruly crowds they tend to draw.

I'm guessing it's more about projected costs and concern over having them covered, due to the dwindling contributions coming in.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

This is interesting , I must keep tuned in .

Instead there will be 14 conventions at the local convention hall.

And where exactly is that ? Please !. { I have been away from Qld. for the past 26 years .}
    And is this only applying to Queensland and not anywhere else in Australia ?

• steve2
    steve2

I heard on reddit that the powers that be who run convention venues expect all those who hire their venues to also hire approved and licenced security services at additional cost.

JW organization has objected, claiming to have its own "approved" in-house security service - and when push has come to shove, the organizations has said, "No thank you" and cancelled finalizing arrangements for the advertised venue.

• smiddy3
    smiddy3

JW organization has objected, claiming to have its own "approved" in-house security service

I can just imagine the Venue Administrators rolling their eyes back over that one.LOL

• blondie
    blondie

I worked with the venue that had jw district conventions for years. The venue provided security staff as part of the rental package. The WTS at that time obliged; the venue administration told them that the venue's insurance required it and that WTS "security" did not qualify. Off-duty law enforcement officers were hired by the security company, trained and armed. Unless a jw was a trained law enforcement officer, licensed to carry a gun, they would not be on staff; besides which the WTS censored jws who did do this kind of security work. All other jws were definitely not qualified. No arrest privileges, no permission to detain suspects, etc.

Evidently, money talks now, not any "spiritual" reason. Imagine the WTS refusing to accept help from law enforcement when their property is invaded, burglarized, etc.

When a ordinary citizen sees a person in need medically, do they have to check with their church first before calling 911? Some employers in my area instructed and trained their employees to call human resources before calling 911! Their legal staff pointed out to them the risk they were taking, setting themselves up to be sued by this person's family. Employees and any other worker were not qualified to assess and treat a medical situation except to administer CPR calling 911 first. That caught the company's attention. The company was worried about some financial cost that would accrue to the company (an idiotic idea).

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit