Canadian U.N. Peacekeeping Soldier killed: Family Friend

by RAYZORBLADE 17 Replies latest social current

• RAYZORBLADE
    RAYZORBLADE

When I picked up the paper the other day, I read the news, and a plethora of material relating to the Ontario provincial election. I quickly skimmed through it, and went to my usual favourite sections. But when I went to fold the newspaper back up, on the bottom half of the front page, were two photographs of two Canadian soldiers.

At first, because the pictures are small, I didn't immediately recognize them. But the name, sort of jogged my memory. Yes, I did a double-take.

My mother's former neighbour, had been killed in Afghanistan only a couple of days before. He was good friends with my mother, and my family. They lived right across the street.

Sgt. Robert Short, 42 years of age, was killed when the jeep he was riding in hit a landmind, or unexploded buried shell near Kabul. Another Canadian soldier was killed: Cpl. Robbie Beerenfenger, 29 years of age. Three other Canadian soldiers were injured (non-life threatening).

Robert and his wife had gone through some very tough times many years ago. I was living up here in Toronto when a tragic fire burned down their mobile home, killing their youngest son. My brothers frantically tried to get in to rescue little Josh, but the smoke was too thick, and the flames were already making entry into the home, impossible. Until this day, my brothers remember that evening like it was yesterday, and it still bothers them that they could not get little 'Josh' out. The oldest boy got out with his parents.

Afterwards, the community near Fredericton, New Brunswick rallied behind them. The outpouring of support and help, was overwhelming. The community helped build a home for them. And they started to get on with their lives. They had experienced the love of a community.

Robert enrolled in the Canadian Armed Forces, and quickly moved up in the ranks. He did very well. Eventually, he and his wife had a baby girl.

Robert eventually was posted to C.F.B. (Canadian Forces Base) Petawawa (northwest of Ottawa) to continue in his career as a military soldier.

My brother called me the very night I read the newspaper regarding Sgt. Robert Short. Yes, he confirmed to me, that it was him, and we both went kind of quiet, trying to make sense of all this.

I have a brother in the military, and although I haven't spoken to him yet, apparently, he's taking this a bit hard. He knew Robert well, and he was the one who tried to save little 'Josh' so many years ago.

The ironies in this life.

Robert was a real decent guy. He was closer to my brothers and my mother. But still, I felt badly.

The bodies of the two killed Canadian soldiers were returned home, yesterday.

http://www.cbc.ca/news/background/cdncasualties/index.html

It has been on my mind for several days. Robert's wife also is living with M.S., so things are not easy for them.

I've been a bit quiet lately. I hope folks will understand.

Rayzorblade

• maybesbabies
    maybesbabies

My condolences, Rayzorblade! That is such a tragedy!

• Prisca
    Prisca

(((((Ray))))) I had noticed you've been a bit quieter than usual, and I was wondering about that. I'm sorry that the cause was such sad news.

Having been killed in action, I'm sure that Robert's wife and family will be looked after during this sad time.

My condolences.

• dottie
    dottie

(((((Ray)))))

I am so sorry to hear of your loss. You know how to get in touch with me if you need a chat or vent. My heart goes out to you and your brothers, such a tragic loss.

Many Hugs and Much Love,

Dottie

• acsot
    acsot

(((Ray))) I'm so sorry for what happened to the soldiers and for what you are going through. It was so sad to watch on the news about the bodies being brought back home. That family has been through so much. Life really sucks sometimes.

• Brummie
    Brummie

Sorry to hear this Rayzor. He was a hero.

Brummie

• calamityjane
    calamityjane

Sorry to hear about this Rayzor.

• pamkw
    pamkw

Ray,

I am so sorry. And here you have been writing me and cheering me up when you had all that on your mind. You are a great guy. Write me if you need to.

Pam

• Scully
    Scully

((((( Ray ))))))

Nothing can make this situation better.

My goes out to the family and friends of these brave soldiers.

<~~~ flying at half-mast

Love, Scully

• Aztec
    Aztec

I'm very sorry to hear this Ray. You have my condolences. What a tragedy for both of those men's families and friends. Take care of yourself okay?

~Aztec

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit