Is JW Aimee Satterfield a liar?

by Nathan Natas 34 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

http://springfield.news-leader.com/news/today/1028-Womandenie-202857.html

Published October 28, 2003

Woman denies false rape report
    Aimee Satterfield pleads not guilty, stands by story she was beaten, raped on June 29.

By Jeff Arnold
    News-Leader

Mount Vernon ? The 22-year-old woman charged with filing a false police report pleaded not guilty to the charges Monday morning in Lawrence County.
    It was just outside the city limits of this county seat where Aimee Satterfield said she was beaten, raped and cut with a knife during the daylight hours of June 29. Law enforcement now says she was lying and seeks jail time.

Satterfield entered the not-guilty plea before Associate Court Judge Scott Sifferman during her arraignment. She is scheduled to reappear before Sifferman at 9 a.m. Nov. 24.

Springfield attorney Dee Wampler, who is representing Satterfield, anticipates going to trial. There have been no discussions, Wampler said, of a plea agreement.

"I can't see that happening," Wampler said.

Satterfield maintains that a man raped and beat her along Missouri 39 on June 29 while she was changing a flat tire on her car. Her report set off a regionwide manhunt for a suspect that Lawrence County Sheriff Doug Seneker says doesn't exist. Last month Lawrence County Prosecutor Robert George brought the charges against Satterfield.

Seneker estimates that his department spent about 2,000 hours investigating the claim.

Appearing in court Monday wearing a black skirt and a green flowered blouse, Satterfield said nothing during her short appearance before the judge. She declined to comment after Monday's court proceeding.

Since the incident, Satterfield has steadfastly maintained her version of events, saying that she would not lie. Lying is considered a willful act against God, according to her Jehovah's Witness beliefs, she has said.

Based on Satterfield's description of the attacker, deputies sought information about a white male, 5 feet 6 inches tall, 170-180 pounds with a mustache and strawberry-blond hair.

Satterfield said the man was a smoker who wore jeans, a red-and-white shirt and a dirty red-and-white cap, and had a silver earring in his left ear. The department circulated a black-and-white composite drawing of the suspect.

Sifferman on Monday overruled a motion that the misdemeanor charges against Satterfield be dropped. He sustained motions, though, that will ensure evidence related to the case is preserved.

Among that evidence: recordings of the 911 call made following the alleged incident, a rape evidence kit and Satterfield's medical records.

George did not oppose Wampler's motions. The prosecutor would not discuss details of Satterfield's case, saying he wished to respect her rights to a fair trial.

Wampler said his office has been contacted by "The John Walsh Show," which has the well-known victim advocate as its host. Walsh also is host of "America's Most Wanted."

According to Wampler, producers of the talk show are interested in profiling Satterfield for an upcoming broadcast.

The decision to appear on the show will rest with Satterfield, her attorney said.

"She doesn't know if she's going to do it or not," Wampler said. "Do I have a preference whether she appears on the program? That's going to be her call.

"Obviously, she's already told her story before."

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

This is an extremely difficult case. I find it difficult to question her story, it just seems too hard to believe that she made it up. On the other other hand, I suspect that the police have enough evidence that has not been disclosed to the media (and so we are not aware of it) to press charges that are sure to ignite a lot of controversy.

Incidentally, self inflicted injuries are not all that uncommon. I can think of at least two high profile assaults that later turned out to be fakes. One of them involved a JW woman that I knew quite well.

In my area, suicide is 10 times more common than murder. So, people are capable of hurting themselves.

By the way, the first article describes her as a man-hating virgin with fibromyalgia, who is a volunteer missionary. Do we really need to be told what her religion is?

• invictus
    invictus

Aztec,

I applaud you for your strenght - you are survivor and a brave woman.

I agree with you that memories can be really shattered and that it should not be reason not to trust this poor girl. In every rape case,investigators should really tread carefully not to cause even more damage to the victim - because no matter what the victim looked like, what or where did she work or what her circumstances were,nobody" deserves" to be violated in any way.

In this case it seems to be more questions than answers.

INVICTUS

• Big Tex
    Big Tex
    "We do believe sex had happened recently," he says. The rape kit confirms that, he adds. But there's no way to determine exactly when intercourse occurred.

Excuse me if this is a little crass, but wouldn't there be semen left if the attack was just a few hours old? Wouldn't that give an indication that the rape was recent?

I'm probably a little too biased, this is the part of the world where I was born, and where 95% of my abuse took place. I do not have fond memories of the place or the people. I don't trust any of them and I don't think the police are terribly competent.

Having said that, her story sounds credible to me. Just because it's by the side of the road, doesn't mean it didn't happen. I don't think anyone would have seen exactly what was happening if they were laying on the front seat. I also believe her stories of threats. There is an ominous feeling, and a feeling up there to keep quiet. I remember that very clearly in my own situation.

I feel for her, I really do.

• rocky220
    rocky220

My take is that the "good ole' sheriff" knows who this scum bag is and is probably trying to cover-up

for that creep, probably from his own family.......[just a theory].....rocky220

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit