Is JW Aimee Satterfield a liar?

by Nathan Natas 34 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

http://www.news-leader.com/today/1005-Woman,22,d-184209.html

Published October 5, 2003

Woman, 22, denies she filed false rape report
    Missionary insists she was violated; Sheriff Seneker says she's lying.

By Eric Eckert
    News-Leader Staff

Mount Vernon ? Lawrence County law enforcement says Aimee Satterfield is a fraud, a desperate woman who filed a bogus rape report in June that panicked women throughout southwest Missouri.
    Prosecutor Robert George filed a misdemeanor against Satterfield of making a false police report, adding that the 22-year-old woman should spend time behind bars.

Satterfield insists a man beat, raped and cut her with a knife alongside Missouri 39 while motorists streamed past on that last Sunday evening in June. And she is sticking by her story ? even if it means going to jail. The full-time volunteer missionary for Jehovah's Witnesses says she is dumbfounded that Sheriff Doug Seneker, who once cried as she spilled her story of mutilation and rape, now considers her a criminal.

Satterfield's mother, Connie, says the past three months have forever altered her daughter's life. Aimee, an avowed virgin prior to her alleged attack, now hates men. She's afraid to go outside. And since the charge was filed Tuesday, her daughter is certain the man who stole her innocence now knows her name and where she lives, Connie Satterfield says.

"She was just starting to get better and really started trying to take control of her life again ? and this happens," Connie Satterfield says, referring to the charge. "She feels they're going to keep on and keep on until they destroy her."

The charge represents a second assault on their daughter, the Satterfields say. They say Lawrence County lawmen turned from advocates to adversaries in the middle of the investigation while still telling the family they were pursuing the rapist.

Seneker and George maintain they're not out to ruin Satterfield's life. But after attempting to re-enact the rape precisely the way Satterfield described it, officers found troubling inconsistencies in her statements. Now they simply want justice for a suspect they say dreamed up a frightening lie, stressing that they have a strong case.

'He doesn't exist'

For two full months, the sheriff explains, his entire department worked approximately 2,000 staff hours on the case. Officers toiled through two holiday weekends, racked up days of comp time and lost momentum on other pressing cases.

"But more importantly," the sheriff adds, "it scared women all over southwest Missouri ? including my own family."

Seneker contends that he always thought Satterfield's story was a stretch. An attack on a busy road in broad daylight never seemed probable. But it was for that same reason he took the case so seriously and called for an immediate investigation.

"When you put those things together, you're dealing with an extremely dangerous person," Seneker says. "If there was any chance that it was true, we had to get him as soon as possible."

But the decisive moment never came. And as evidence began to point toward a charade, the quest to find the unknown man in a teal green truck ended.

"He doesn't exist," Seneker says. "I tried my best to believe her (Satterfield) all the way. ... I pretty well held out until the end, until all the evidence came through and showed it couldn't have happened."

Based on her beliefs as a Jehovah's Witness, Satterfield says lying is considered a willful act against God. She says truth is one of the foundations of her ministry, her life.

"There's more than just jail time, more than just money involved," she says. "If that's all there was, that would be easy. I am a baptized Jehovah's Witness. ... If I back down, Jehovah's name is involved. I'll sit in jail the rest of my life if necessary. But I refuse to put any kind of reproach or dishonor on Jehovah's name."

Attack

Satterfield says she couldn't fend off her attacker.

In those horrifying minutes, she says, the man lay atop her, cut off her clothes, raped her and used a knife to carve reminders of the encounter into her chest and breasts.

"The scars I have left show that in one area it looks like he didn't get the cut he wanted," Satterfield says. "So he cut again and again."

Satterfield says the attack occurred on a Sunday evening, June 29, while she was changing the flat right-rear tire of her car.

She was returning from a trip to Neosho, where she says she spent the weekend ? Thursday night through Sunday afternoon ? at her great-aunt's home. Satterfield says she helped the elderly woman prepare for a yard sale all day Friday and helped run the event on Saturday.

On Sunday, she says she attended the morning and afternoon meetings at the local Kingdom Hall, returned to her aunt's house to say goodbye, then left to drive to her home in Webster County.

As she passed through Mount Vernon, she stopped at two convenience stores ? the first to check her transmission fluid, the second to buy a drink. Surveillance tapes confirm the stops.

During this time, she called her mother to say she was running late.

When she left the second store, she proceeded south on Missouri 39. Suddenly, she says, her car began to fishtail. She realized she had a flat and pulled onto the shoulder a half-mile south of Interstate 44.

As she checked the tire, she says a man driving a teal green extended-cab pickup with Missouri plates pulled in behind her. He hopped out of the truck and approached her.

"The only thing he said to me was he asked if I was having car trouble," Satterfield recalls.

She says she told him she didn't need any help.

"I went ahead and started getting the tire out of the back of the car and he turned to leave," she says.

Realizing she had failed to turn on her flashers, Satterfield says, she opened the passenger-side door and reached in to turn them on. That's when she noticed the man standing behind her.

"He hit me twice," she says, making one punching motion toward her stomach and another to her left side.

She says she crumpled under her attacker's sharp blows and heard the rat-tat-tat report of firecrackers at the fireworks tent northeast of her car.

She says she was on her left side and her right arm was pinned under her body as he assaulted her.

"He had his right hand on the right side of my face holding it sideways."

There was little struggle, she says.

Satterfield suffers from many ailments, including low lung capacity and fibromyalgia.

Satterfield says when the attack ended, the man fled in his truck and she called 911. An officer responded to the scene and Satterfield was taken to the hospital in Aurora, where she was treated for minor injuries and received a rape exam.

Investigation

Once Seneker heard of the alleged attack and was informed the rape kit proved positive for intercourse, he began searching for an assailant.

The sheriff ordered his deputies to work through the Fourth of July holiday. The next Sunday, he established roadblocks on Missouri 39 and deputies conducted interviews.

The roadblocks were conducted around 7 p.m., approximately the same time the alleged attack occurred, the sheriff says. Officers talked with drivers and passengers in more than 200 vehicles.

Officers asked each person if they'd seen the suspect pickup parked behind a gray station wagon on the shoulder of road.

Based on Satterfield's description of the attacker, deputies sought information about a white male, 5 feet, 6 inches tall, 170-180 pounds with a mustache and strawberry-blond hair. He was a smoker who wore jeans, a red and white shirt, a dirty red and white cap and had a silver earing in his left ear. The department circulated a black-and-white composite drawing of the suspect.

No one reported seeing the man on the highway June 29, but "two people said they saw a green pickup there briefly," Seneker says, adding that detectives soon began to doubt Satterfield.

"These things don't necessarily follow given patterns," he says of sexual assaults. "We know that there are daylight attacks and we know there are attacks on the side of the road. But it's rare to find them happening at the same time."

Inconsistencies

Determined to find the assailant, the Satterfields scoured Springfield and Marshfield car lots to look for a truck similar to the suspect pickup. They narrowed the vehicle down to a 1997 Ford F-250 based on the description and the color she identified.

While their help was noted, Seneker now says he doubts the truck Satterfield says she saw ever existed. "The truck the witnesses described was not the same as she described to us."

Her description of the truck changed several times throughout the investigation, Seneker says.

At one point, deputies examined the supposed crime scene and counted the number of vehicles that passed through the area. There's a possibility, he says, passers-by would not have seen anything happening inside two cars on the side of the road.

The northbound traffic would be driving into the sun at that time, and it would be somewhat difficult for southbound traffic to see in the windows as the cars flew by.

Chuck Lester, a lifelong Mount Vernon resident, moved to this stretch three months ago. He says there's no way someone could have been attacked at that time on a Sunday without being noticed.

"Look at all the cars that go by here," he says, pointing to the busy road. "There's probably 300 cars that go by here in a day. Sunday traffic is real bad."

Re-creating crime

After detectives compiled phone records, 911 calls and surveillance tapes, they performed a re-enactment of the crime according to Satterfield's statements and using the exact same model station wagon, the sheriff says.

The times didn't add up.

"She told us the rape took about five minutes," Seneker says. "The way she said it happened, it would have taken longer."

Court documents stated "the events required 14 minutes and 28 seconds to complete" and therefore could not have taken place as Satterfield reported.

Inconsistent statements and uncorroborated physical evidence led investigators to set their sights on proving the lie, Seneker says.

The sheriff says he doubts Satterfield will ever recant her allegation.

"I'm sure it will never change," Seneker says, shaking his head. "We pointed out to her irrefutable facts and she still chose not to change her story."

Kim LeBaron, vice president of the Missouri Coalition Against Sexual Assault, warns against relying heavily on a rape victim's sense of time.

"Inconsistencies in a victim's memory is common," LeBaron says. "What happens is that a lot of times it's one sense that comes to the forefront. The other parts shut down. Your brain doesn't allow you to remember everything."

He said/She Said

Satterfield says she could tell during her interviews with investigators that they started to doubt her. She says they pummeled her with questions and called her a liar.

She says they told her they were trying to trip her up ? like a defense attorney would during a trial.

"They'd try to get me to change my mind ? that it didn't happen that way, that part of it was wrong," Satterfield says. At one point one of the detectives "got up close in my face and told me I was lying. I got up and walked out."

Seneker says his deputies don't use any such "defense attorney" tactics like Satterfield described.

The young woman says she's convinced investigators believe she had premarital sex and ? due to the principles of her religion ? tried to cover it up with a make-believe rape.

Seneker doesn't deny it.

"We do believe sex had happened recently," he says. The rape kit confirms that, he adds. But there's no way to determine exactly when intercourse occurred.

The sheriff says he didn't confirm Satterfield's whereabouts the day she was allegedly attacked.

"We did not attempt to confirm (she was at the church meetings)," he says. "We specifically decided not to bring the church into this."

Seneker described the cuts on Satterfield's chest as "extremely shallow" and "carefully done." He says the wounds were "not inconsistent with self-infliction."

Satterfield denies cutting herself and takes offense at anyone thinking she'd have premarital sex and go to such lengths to hide it.

"The nurse said, from my injuries, it was pretty obvious not only was I a virgin before this happened, but that the man knew what he was doing.

"... I do not believe in sex before marriage," she says. "Yes, that's in the Bible, but besides that, I've seen what it does to people. I've been tempted, but I've never done it and I won't."

Satterfield says she once entertained a relationship with a man she knew before all of this happened. "We tried to have a relationship afterward, but that's over," she says. " ... I hate all men."

Ramifications

Warren Satterfield no longer has the murderous rage that compelled him to drive around during the night to hunt down his daughter's attacker.

"I wanted to kill him for what he did," he says. "But my hatred for that man was being detrimental to my health and to my family."

Now the concerned father finds himself in another battle. He's looking for a lawyer to defend his oldest daughter.

"According to my religion, I'm supposed to be forgiving and patiently wait on Jehovah," Warren Satterfield says. "I realize the justice system isn't perfect and it's run by men, but I didn't expect this type of betrayal."

Seneker says he feels for the family and has sympathized with them from Day One. He admits he became emotional during their frequent conversations.

"Any caring person would have empathized with them," he says, sitting behind his desk in the county courthouse. "But we're in the business of facts ? not feelings. After the facts rolled in, I had to change my focus.

"This is not a fun thing to do. We all agonized over this. We realized charging a supposed rape victim with lying is unpopular ... but facts are facts."

Brad Runcie, who runs the Tru Value hardware store on the square in Mount Vernon, says he breathed a sigh of relief when the sheriff announced it was all a hoax.

"If she's found guilty, I think she ought to pay for putting up a story like that," Runcie says as he takes a break from the stock room.

Seneker says he fully expects the case to go to trial. He finds solace in his decision when he thinks of the dozens of people he heard from who were fearful of being randomly attacked.

"They have no need to be concerned about the 'phantom rapist' on 39 Highway in a green pickup," Seneker says. "I do want people to feel safer."

The Satterfields say there's only one person who can truly feel safe through all of this ? the man who attacked Aimee.

"If I'm convicted, that gives him a chance to do it again," Aimee Satterfield says. "There's a big chance he's been watching this on TV and reading it in the papers and got a big kick out of it. I'm afraid he'll do it again and this time someone's gonna end up dead."

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

http://www.kode-tv.com/Global/story.asp?S=1466080

web posted at 9:00 10/01/03
    Alleged Victim Charged In Rape Case

A charge has been filed in a Lawrence County rape case against the alleged victim.
    22 year old Aimee Satterfield of Elkland, Missouri, has been charged with making a false report to authorities.
    A two-month investigation beginning in June was conducted and when police attempted to reconstruct the incident based on Satterfield's account they determined the attack could not have happened.
    Satterfield has been released from the Lawerence County jail on one-thousand dollars bond.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

http://www.news-leader.com/today/1001-Womanaccus-180046.html

Published October 1, 2003

Woman accused of false rape report
    "I don't believe there's a rapist out there right now."

By Eric Eckert
    News-Leader Staff

Mount Vernon ? A Webster County woman who in late June claimed she was attacked and viciously raped while changing her tire alongside Missouri 39 near Mount Vernon is now facing the possibility of jail time.
    Lawrence County Prosecutor Robert George has filed a misdemeanor charge against the 23-year-old woman for making a false report to police. The prosecutor said the information presented to him by investigators ? inconsistent statements and uncorroborated physical evidence ? compelled him to believe the attack did not occur.

"Based on what we filed, I don't believe there's a rapist out there right now," George said. "We wouldn't have charged her otherwise."

The News-Leader normally names people charged with crimes. It does not, however, name victims of sexual crimes. Therefore, the newspaper reserves identifying the woman accused of fabricating the rape until the case is resolved.

In a statement issued Tuesday, Lawrence County Sheriff Doug Seneker said the woman caused "unwarranted concern ... to women motorists who feared a similar attack."

Throughout the two-month investigation, the sheriff's department conducted intensive road blocks, questioned numerous witnesses and worked dozens of staff hours.

George said the defendant faces a year in jail and a $500 fine if convicted.

The prosecutor said he will seek jail time.

An arrest warrant was issued and the woman turned herself in to authorities Tuesday, according to the sheriff's statement. She was released on $1,000 bond.

The court documents, the sheriff's statement and the prosecutor each gave no indication of what might have motivated the woman to lie. She could not be reached for comment.

After the rape was reported on June 29, Lawrence County investigators made the case their No. 1 priority.

The woman gave officers a vivid physical description of her alleged attacker and specific information about the type of vehicle he was driving ? a teal green extended-cab pickup with Missouri plates.

A composite drawing of the man was circulated through the media.

The woman told authorities she was driving home around 7 p.m. from Neosho, where she had been visiting with family for a few days. She said she stopped at the Mount Vernon exit for a soda and to call her mother to tell her where she was.

After getting back on the road, she noticed her car was handling oddly and stopped to see what was wrong. She told police her attacker pulled up in his truck and asked if she needed help.

Once she told him no, he flashed a knife and attacked her ? punching her in the stomach, cutting off her clothes, carving small wounds into her body and raping her.

"A suspect was never located in this particular case," the prosecutor said. "It wasn't for the lack of trying. I imagine there were people out there with green trucks and who resembled that description that were worried."

George would not comment on the woman's injuries.

The prosecutor said his office and the sheriff's department were under some scrutiny for failing to identify a suspect.

"From my conversations, I was asked everywhere I went how this was going," George said.

"There were a number of people concerned there was a rapist in the community," he said.

Webster County Sheriff Ron Worsham serves on the board of his county's Victim Assistance Program.

Since 1974, he's investigated many rapes and sexual assaults as Springfield police officer and later as sheriff. He says he doesn't think this incident will keep rape victims from coming forward.

"If it has an impact, I think it will lower the number of false reports," Worsham said, adding:

"It's always hard for a victim to come forward. It's a very embarrassing situation and I think women feel they're blamed for it happening. They should never feel ashamed about reporting something like that."

George said he files charges against people for providing false information to police a couple of times each year.

He said this incident will not cause him to be biased against future rape complainants.

"In the future, I'll continue to look at each case individually and with an open mind," he said.

"Anytime I file a charge it's based on the facts and the evidence."

The woman charged in this case is scheduled to be arraigned in Lawrence County associate circuit court on Oct. 27.

• Hamas
    Hamas

I dont think we should label anybody a liar just yet, Witness or not.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

Hamas, we're not labeling anybody - we're asking a question: Is Aimee Satterfield a liar?

By the way, the police, who have investigated her claim and attempted to reconstruct the events, say she IS a liar.

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

http://www.kolr10.com/Global/story.asp?S=1463879&nav=0RXJIHGd

Lawrence County, MO
    Woman Accused of Making up Rape Story

A young woman who reported she had been raped along the side of a Lawrence County highway in June while she was pulled over to change a tire, is now accused of making up the story.

The 22-year old woman from Elkland told Lawrence County deputies she was attacked by a man who pulled in next to her car along Highway 39 south of Mt. Vernon. Now investigators believe the attack never happened. Prosecutors Tuesday charged her with making a false police report.

Lawrence County Sheriff Doug Seneker says he believes there was never any attack, and the woman made the story up. Seneker says investigators spent two months trying to find the attacker who allegedly rapes the woman. But Seneker says the woman's story began to have unravel and many falsehoods and inconsistencies came to light.

A physical examination was done to find evidence, and did come back positive for sexual contact. But Seneker says investigators have strong indications that the woman had a sexual relationship with an man from Elkland, before the attack allegedly happened. Seneker says he's confident no attack ever took place.

The woman's mother and father tell KOLR10 News they are convinced their daughter was raped. They believe the Sheriff's office is trying to cover up the fact detectives haven't been able to solve the case. The woman was released on $1,000 and is scheduled to be arraigned in court October 27.

• Hamas
    Hamas

Yeah, I know you are not labeling anybody, I'm just saying that is would be unfair for anybody to label somebody a liar before they are found guilty...

The police saying she is a liar .... even more reason to wait for the verdict.

• wednesday
    wednesday

after a rape, a person can be so tramatized that the times, dates and all get all jumbled. The girl may not even remember it all. She may not be lying, just working form the only memory she has of it.

• Panda
    Panda

I agree w/ Hamas. No one should label this woman a liar. I think it's sad when an obvious traumatized person is put through this treatment. I remember when the first guy arrested for the Atlanta Olympics bombing was totally convicted in the public. But then OOOps ... not him ... sorry for the inconvenience. But the entire affair left a black mark onhis reputation.

Panda of the compassionate class (sometimes)

• blondie
    blondie
    Now investigators believe the attack never happened. Prosecutors Tuesday charged her with making a false police report.

Based on her statement, physical evidence, and testimony of any witnesses, they must have decided that there were substantial contradictions.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit