UK Hospital using Kingdom Melodies - complaint

by AEnEm 26 Replies latest watchtower scandals

• AEnEm
    AEnEm

I found out that a UK hospital (NNUH) uses Kingdom Melodies as hold music, apparently for some years! I called and heard it myself. I wrote an email to the complaints team and await a response. I did try calling again yesterday and there didn't seem to be any hold music at all, so perhaps they have removed it while they consider the issue?

My email is below:

Could you please explain why NNUH uses Jehovah's Witness (JW) music (hymns) as hold music on the telephone system?

This raises a number of concerns. First of all has permission been granted? The music is copyrighted and JWs sue anyone who uses their literature or music without permission.

Secondly, have you considered the effect that hearing this music has on the ex-JW community who are traumatized by their experience in this cult? Dr Steve Hassan, an international expert on cults identifies them as such. There are many ex-JWs (possibly more than current JWs) and also many who describe themselves as PIMO (Physically In, Mentally Out). They cannot leave the cult due to the threat of shunning by their family and friends.

Thirdly, have you considered the content of the songs? Although it seems orchestral versions are used as your hold music, the lyrics of these songs (hymns) are inappropriate. Many of them describe how God will soon kill all non-JWs (99.9% of humanity). As an example, song 150 has the lyrics - "soon Christ will crush earthly enemies". Just search for the words enemy or enemies in their song book on their official website, and you will see how many songs describe the supposedly imminent destruction of non-JWs. According to their theology, anyone who is not a baptized JW will be destroyed at Armageddon.

Fourthly, hearing this music will exert a subtle pressure on JWs who call, to give in to the pressure they receive from JW elders/family to refuse blood transfusion. Again, many are forced to do so for fear of shunning. Anyone who is reported to have received blood, if unrepentant, will be deemed to have disassociated themselves, and will be shunned by family and friends.

Please advise.

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Well, I know the NHS is on it's last legs but what a way to put people from being ill.

• AEnEm
    AEnEm

Made me feel ill to hear it I must say! Very odd.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

Are you sure they were actually Kingdom melodies? I occasionally attend Presbyterian churches and their hymnals (which are properly attributed all the way back to the 1400s, but most being from around mid-1800s, about the same time JWs started) are VERY similar both in melody, structure and content to the JW muzak, there are entire songs that are just a few bars and octaves different.

It is well known that Russell, Rutherford and to date, the WTBTS has plagiarized a LOT of their output, including a lot of their belief systems from mid-1800s religious revival including the Presbyterians, Mennonites, spiritualists etc. their more modern 'songs' have lots of contemporary influence including Disney, REM etc.

• AEnEm
    AEnEm

100% sure they are Kingdom melodies. I know the songs well! The modern songs in the latest songbook are quite unique - nothing like the older Kingdom Melodies which were somewhat similar to famous songs/hymns. It is well known in the local area (amongst JWs) that the hospital uses these songs. The publishers are very proud that this is the case. They say that a brother who works at the hospital arranged for it.

• Anony Mous
    Anony Mous

If that is the case, I hope the brother gets fired for perpetuating this copyright infringement.

• AEnEm
    AEnEm

Personally I wasn't hoping for that outcome - just a removal of the music, and maybe the reason being admitted publicly somehow (newspaper?).

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Let us know what reply you get

• BoogerMan
    BoogerMan

Good job, AEnEm.

I'm sure Kevin McFree will be interested to see how this develops.

• AEnEm
    AEnEm

Thanks BoogerMan. Why would Kevin be interested in particular? Just curious!

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit