JW.org as a Prank Tool

by schnell 18 Replies latest jw friends

• schnell
    schnell

The moment I saw the "Request a study" form on the site, I thought, "Umm, that could be a bad thing."

But to date, I have heard of only one case where it was used for less than genuine purposes. That was in the case of a "game developer" who was selling crappy asset-flips on Steam. His address information was leaked and a couple of Dubs were sent to pay him a visit. He complained about it online. (And the weird thing is, I might actually know those brothers because I lived nearby and had a few friends there.)

Have there been other cases like this? If prayers really work to attract Witnesses to your door, why does the Borg need a website function that's so prone to fraud?

• LevelThePlayingField
    LevelThePlayingField

A while back, just for the hell of it, I filled out the form online and put a fake name in there, but to my actual address. Sure enough, two dubs came to my door. I answered and was like, no, no one here goes by that name. Must have been a prank. ;)

• menrov
    menrov

was still counted as a revisit :-)

• sir82
    sir82

why does the Borg need a website function that's so prone to fraud?

Holy spirit actively protects the website from fraudulent entries.

Hey, it's at least as effective as it is in keeping pedophiles from becoming elders!

• breakfast of champions
    breakfast of champions

I love how when you select the "Organized" book on the Borg website, the warning pops up

This is an internal publication, provided solely for use by congregations of Jehovah's Witnesses, and is not intended for public distribution.

That should stop unauthorized persons dead in their tracks. No pandas for you!

• wifibandit
    wifibandit
    is not intended for public distribution.

On the Internet. Think about that for a second....

Is this to make JW's feel "special" by having access to this "only for publishers" book?

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    If prayers really work to attract Witnesses to your door, why does the Borg need a website function that's so prone to fraud?

Because 99.99% of the world's population does not even know this feature exists let alone care about using it to send a couple of dubs on a wild goose chase.

It would be quite fun if it got some viral traction though...

• Simon
    Simon

And remember that when they claim that the HQ does not direct individual publishers - it shows there is a link, a command and control structure. So if / when those publishers act, they can and should be held accountable for their actions ... all the way back up the line. Too often the HQ drops the cong. as acting independently to avoid legal liability.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    sir82 - "Holy spirit actively protects the website from fraudulent entries."

LOL, God's firewall.

• ab.ortega
    ab.ortega

Does it track personal data of the person that does they request for the study? Like i.p. address, etc. ?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit