This hit a little too close to home

by mommy 20 Replies latest jw friends

• mommy
    mommy

The following appeared in the newspaper this morning:

A 17-year-old Highlands School student was in jail Thursday on charges that he had developed a hit list, naming several fellow students he supposedly planned to kill.

Highlands police say they arrested Andrew Douglas Quintero, a junior, without incident on Wednesday and charged him with 10 misdemeanor counts of communicating threats.

In an interview Thursday, Highlands School principal Jack Brooks indicated he wasn't sure whether the student intended to carry out the threats, but said he wasn't taking any chances.

"Whether this was done out of humor or it was an expression of anger, I had no idea," Brooks said. "What we think, say and write have a different level of intent sometimes, and few of us are in a position to determine whether this is reality. But we had to take it seriously. The goal here, of course, is to maintain the safety of the school."

Quintero, who was placed in the Macon County Detention Center Wednesday, received a 10-day school suspension — the remainder of the academic year. Whether that suspension will be extended into the next school year will likely be up to the superintendent's office, Brooks said.

Unlike other acts that educators fear could lead to violence — such as possession of firearms on campus, which automatically mandates a one-year suspension — there are no state-required parameters for suspension when it comes to communicating threats.

Brooks, meanwhile, said he first heard of the so-called hit list on Tuesday night when another student contacted him to tell him about it. Several students named on the list at the less-than-500-pupil, K-12 school had apparently heard about it through word of mouth, Brooks said, and were worried both about their safety and for Quintero's emotional well-being.

Brooks said he called Quintero into his office on Wednesday, where he conducted a search and found a loose sheet of paper that included the neatly typed names of the students Quintero had supposedly planned to kill. He said the student was contrite when told that his classmates had become fearful for their safety.

"You never envision any of your own students doing something like this," Brooks said. "But I think people need to know that Highlands is not a sanctuary from the rest of the world. Anything that can happen in other places can happen here."

Brooks indicated he was in favor of meting out some form of punishment for Quintero. But he also requested that law enforcement get the student any counseling he may need.

"This is an individual who needed assistance," Brooks said. "He has a lot of potential for a lot of different things. And I hope the legal system can take the right course with him and look at him as a person who needs help, not as someone to be made an example of."

Quintero is the second Macon County student in the last two months to be arrested and suspended for actions that administrators feared posed a threat to other students. In March, a Macon Middle School seventh grader was arrested and received a state-mandated one-year suspension for bringing a .25-caliber handgun to school. His case is still in the juvenile justice system.

I just wanted to get your views on this. Personaly I am thankful that someone took his threats seriously and now this boy will get the help he needs. I fear too many times a blind eye is turned in such cases. But boy oh boy what a wake up call. I thought I would be protected back here in these backwoods.
    wendy

• Simon
    Simon

Scarey stuff eh ?!

It's good that someone saw what was happening and took some action. It's a dilema choosing where to live with your kids isn't it...

• Lindy
    Lindy

I know what you mean. We live in a very small community where everyone seems to know everyone. A couple of summers ago everyone was at the community park for a yearly gathering the town does. Someone tried to take a small girl from the restroom. They tried to tie her up and get her out without getting caught but someone came in and they left quickly. As far as I know they were never caught. Unheard of in this town, had everyone really upset. There just is no safe places anymore. Sad, but if you are aware less can happen.
    One of the local HS's here shut down for two days because of threats. And get this, just this past week my husband came home because his company had a bomb threat. No bomb was found but they had to close for a while and about half the people didn't come back that day. My hubby braved it and went back. Who ever heard of these things even 20 years ago? Completely unheard of when I was a kid!

Lindy

• tergiversator
    tergiversator

Hi mommy,

It's very scary when something like this happens in your area. I was a senior when Columbine happened, and it was a bit unnerving realizing how similar our high school was to the much-advertised "profile" of schools at risk. I remember having discussions in the days afterwards with some of my friends and teachers about the distant, unapproachable atmosphere of the administration, and the nastiness of the popular cliques (and high school kids in general), and the general feeling of going nowhere that most students seemed to have (especially those who had lived there all their lives; I live elsewhere before moving there in 9th grade).

Of course, we didn't really think anything would happen...

-T., class of '99, Santana High School

• LovesDubs
    LovesDubs

I live in Lake Worth, Florida where teacher Barry Grunow was shot and killed on the last day of school last year by Nathaniel Brazil. My eldest now goes to a different middle school than Lake Worth Middoe. I took him to that school the day after the shooting and we placed flowers on the fence there. Media swarmed him the poor kid, but I wanted him to feel how close that really was. Nathaniel is expected to get 20- life for this. Sentencing is this summer. He was only 13 but acted very methodically in bringing that gun to school and following up a his verbal threats to F*CK UP THE SCHOOL because he had been suspended for throwing water balloons that morning and sent home. Water freaking balloons. Gawd.

I was VERY upset about that. Yes...too close.

• SanFranciscoJim
    SanFranciscoJim

For the record, I am first in line to condemn the expression of hatred in any form. Yet, I am having a great deal of difficulty understanding the convoluted logic in suspending a student for written threats when probably better than half that same student body regularly listen to lyrics from modern day "musicians" advocating the very thing the students are punished for doing. Try to take away their music and they cry "free speech".
    Pardon me, but something does not compute here, Will Robinson.

• AcapulcoGold
    AcapulcoGold

hi sfjim:

lets take this one step farther -

try and take away their guns and they cry free speech.

or combine the two:

It's called the American Honky-Tonk Bar Association

It represents the hardhat
    Gunrack, achin'-back
    Over taxed, flag-wavin', fun-lovin' crowd
    They're heart is in the music
    And they love to play it loud
    There's no forms or applications
    There's no red tape administrations
    It's the American Honky-Tonk Bar Association

We're all one big family
    Throughout the cities and the towns

We don't reach for handouts
    we reach for those who are down
    And every local chapter has a seven day a week
    Available consultation
    For your frustration
    It's called the American Honky-Tonk Bar Association

• Sunbeam
    Sunbeam

Mommy, I think the authorities were right to take this chap's threats seriously. You can forgive them for being over-cautious in the light of the recent high school tragedies. But of course the poor kid might have simply been a misfit venting some teenage angst.

Things are a bit different here in the UK, as our gun laws are stricter. Any prospective mad axeman often has to become just that. There have been numerous nuts who have lashed out with samarai swords, machetes, etc. So I suppose you could say that our gun laws simply make the violent types more innovative in their choice of weapons...

Sunbeam
    xxx

• larc
    larc

San Fran Jim,

Usually I agree with you, but I disagree on this one. If a person takes the time to write out murderous thoughts, I think that is a major danger sign that should not be ignored. Anyone can have such thoughts, but when you take it a step further and put it in writing, I think it warrants some attention.

• BugEye
    BugEye

A comment from outside the United States.

To all who cry free speech, I live in a western democratic country but free speech is not seen the same as it is for you.

For example, it is against the law here to make racial slurs, speak demeaningly to women, make unwanted innapropriate suggestions to members of the opposite sex.

It may seem amazing to you all, but even though a couple of people bitch about the law, most people feel that it is a good thing and improves the Australian society.

From our point of view, the only ones who would complain at the schools courageous actions would be the parents and the "do gooder" who always shows his head on tv for these things.

Dave

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit