"..Witnesses suffer from anxiety, depression, addiction...many have been lost to suicide. After reading this story, you may understand why.”

by Penelope1 20 Replies latest jw friends

• Penelope1
    Penelope1

Funny you should mention that, Beth Sarim. A friend of mine met a therapist at a meeting recently. When she casually mentioned that she used to be a JW, he immediately began rattling off questions. They chatted for about an hour because he sees quite a few a them and so wanted to know, among other things, why they blamed Satan for everything, didn't listen to a word he said, and kept bringing him magazines he didn't want! LOL

• Penelope1
    Penelope1

I can relate hoser!

• Penelope1
    Penelope1

I went through something similar Zoos--the frazzled state...feeling twisted up mentally, emotionally--but that was my "time to vamos" wake up call, or when I realized I had to get my arse out of there pronto if i didn't want to meet nurse Ratchet!LOL

Agreed. Those who manage to snap out of their cult-induced stupor are the lucky ones!

• Gayle
    Gayle

I just read Bo Juel's book, "The Least of God's Priorities." He did well writing about his JW youth with so much family disfunction (step-father and grandfather) and compounded with sexual abuse from elder. Amazing he came through it and a lot of his processes. He only felt all those years he had to be silent, as a youth and even as an adult. Now he is "pro-active" about the exposure of the Watchtower abuse policy toward youth.

It takes a lot of survivor development to leave the WT world when raised JW and compounded when there's been sexual abuse too. I recommend the book. I have read most personal books of former JWs. We all have a true story. Some will write.

• Penelope1
    Penelope1
    Nice comment Gayle! Did you write a review for Bo on amazon.com?
  • Gayle
    Gayle
    Penelope, Yes thank you. I did also leave a comment on Amazon as well.
  • Vidiot
    Vidiot

hoser - "I'm not even going to read it. When I read about others suffering because of oppressive regimes I am unable to contain my anger."

Ditto.

• Penelope1
    Penelope1

Fantastic! Thanks so much Gayle.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

How can mental regulation and oppression from a fear mongering religious cult

make one happy ?

We're so happy that the GB directors of the Watchtower Corporation are directing us so that we don't get destroyed like the rest of humanity !

The real problem is that people are aware that something larger than themselves has control over them and that power and control is of question and suspicion.

• Penelope1
    Penelope1
    Yes Finkelstein, people are generally aware of those things so long as they don't allow cults like the WT to clean sweep their hard-drives. Once that happens, the Stepford effect kicks in (if you've seen the movie, you know what I'm talking about.) Critical thinking skills gone, they are incapable of "objective analysis and evaluation."

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit