How sad H2O has become!

by Seeker 22 Replies latest jw friends

• Seeker
    Seeker

Ihardly ever look at H2O now that all the interesting posters are here, but I took a look today for old time's sake: how utterly changed the place has become! A handful of messages on the front page, many from the evangelical (or worse, the Joshua92's) crowd. Where is the volume from the old days? Where are the interesting discussions?

I read a couple of the more heated debates there, and it was those same old lies from the evangelicals claiming victory of some sort or another over atheists. Tilting at windmills, it would seem.

Rick is in denial. Crowing about 10,000 posts in a 3-month period. That's about 100/day, or 4 per hour. 4 per hour!? That's absurd compared to the glory days of the place.

How sad, how sad. This is what came of their inconsistent moderation. Look at this site, in contrast, where you can do pretty much whatever you want, and so people behave.

Sad.

• ozziepost
    ozziepost

G'day Seeker,

Yes, it is sad isn't it? It seems like a lonely house these days.

Apparently there is to be a new site with many new improvements....but still the Moderators!

Cheers,
    Ozzie

Freedom is not having to wear a tie.

• Francois
    Francois

"Behave" must mean something different to the folks over at H2O.

I was only there a short time, because when my posts began to disappear without so much as a grunt in my direction, I left. Censorship in my opinion is a cowardly act, and to be happening where it was, particularly loathesome.

You all have Uncle Bruce to blame for my arrival here, as he is responsible for turning me on to this egalitarian site.

And Simon. Well. The man's got the spirit.

Francois

• think41self
    think41self

Hi Thrill Seeker,

I left H2O because of the seeming random deletion of posts, and, I admit, it was being taken over by ranting fundamentalists. If I wanted to hear that stuff, I'd join a church myself!

Farkel, Unclebruce and Tina are responsible for my finding my way over here. When things were getting really stinky over at H2O, they kept inviting us over. So I came, and so happy I did. I love the chat room, too. It really lets you get to know people better, especially their sense of humor.

Thank you Simon for keeping this board the free board that it is!

think41self

• Amazing
    Amazing

Yes, I miss the old H20. I liked the format better than coolboard. I could see the thread extensions easier and somehow, it was just the place to be.

A couple of months ago Farkel allerted us to this board, and I like this one better in many ways. The old crowd is here, and there is no moderator activity, or at least none needed. I recon it shows that when you have few or no rules, people rise to the ocassion and bahave better.

But the saddest aspect of H20 is watching the fundies and the self-appointed speakers for God take over. They just don't get it, 'We don't want to be preached to, or read 400 pages of why someone thinks the Society should reschedule Armageddon for 2001, or 2001, or some other year. And I hope that the people who have taken over H20 stay there. - Amazing

• Simon
    Simon

Oh no... all this praise for having no moderators just after I made a post asking for volunteers, lol ( http://www.jehovahs-witness.com/forum/thread.asp?id=5977&site=3)

I promise it will just be to help with problems, not to censor peoples views (serve & protect ?).

• NewLight2
    NewLight2

"And I hope that the people who have taken over H20 stay there. -
    Amazing"

Amazing,
    What would happen if these same people came over here and posted tons of what they now post over at H2O?
    Would Simon push the delete botton in order to restore the board?
    Would Simon put out the call for help (moderater volenteers)?

A while ago H20 had an "invasion" of "crap" posted to the board. In an attempt to restore some sanity to the board, some deletions took place. The software at Coolboard nukes all the replies to the deleted posts, whether these replies are good or bad. This made it appear that posts were disapearing that should not have been deleted. At the old board the moderators could choose to let replies stay on the board, at Coolboard, there was no choice.

Much of this "invasion of crap" was posted by the "Norway Trio" who post here. Now why is it that these 3 from Norway do not fill this board with the same type of "crap"??

NewLight2

Edited to correct a typo and add this comment: I find it very interesting that Simon has already put out the call for "help"!

• unclebruce
    unclebruce

Spot on Seeker, very sad but kinda inevitable. I believe it sunk under the weight of its own bad kama (with the stated goal of nazi ... um ...watchtower reform, what else could it do?) Any group promoting or trying to reorganise watchtower tyrany is going to meet stiff opposition and resentment from those who have left and cherish their new-found freedom. To me it's significant that the most oppressive moderators (who have deleted well over 100 of my posts in the last few months without a word of explaination) are not and have never been JW's. I don't mean to offend any reading this who have never been JWs, it's just that for people like mods 55 and 105 (who have never been JWs) to ban subjects for discussion like polygammy on the grounds its an illegal activity irrellivent to a JW discussion board boggles my little brain.

It was sad to see the good ship go down Seeker, there was much deep posting there. The Mods seem to be unaware that entertainment and fun is a big part of a successful board. It was wonderful to see Simons board florish and reach the critical mass that has made it the best JW discussion board ever. This place has everything, serious articles, news, humour, I raise my glass to the great worldwide network of friends and comrads who have made it so. Long may it prosper!

Simon - You're a champion and I won't presume to give you any advice except please ensure any moderators have a few years JW experience under their belt. There are some great people here who are well respected and trustworthy. best wishes. (I'm not gonna hug ya either ;)

unclebruce

PS: Don't blame me for lumbering this place with Francoise - blame that illusive pimper-nailing bastard FOCUS!

PSS: Hey NewLight2 - How about you send some of your 'never been a jw fundy crappers' over here to see what happens? As for Norwegians - Kents banning was an absolute disgrace and triggered the avalanche (as you well know) STILL don't get it do ya? unc who edited this post just to insult ya

• larc
    larc

Simon,

I suggest that if you use moderators, use them in moderation. So far, we have been pretty good at moderating ourselves. When an occasional nasty type shows up, we can always e mail you or a designated moderator.

By the way, my wife, old what's her name, really enjoys her e mail chats with your wife. When you make the big move to Canada, I hope we can meet and chat in real space, not just cyberspace.

Simon, you have done something that most people only dream of, and that is to make a real difference in people's lives. (((((Handshakes))))) (I am too shy as a manly kind of man to give hugs.)

• Simon
    Simon

Hell, yes... handshakes... no hugging... let's just cough and talk about the weather or the game...

Maybe the title 'moderator' is wrong. Perhaps we should call them assistants or something ? I don't want anyone to have posts deleted but in the past we have had people posting crap here too which I have removed. I can only check in every so often though so it just makes sense as people look at the board as the world turns that some of them could respond a bit quicker than I could if something dodgy is posted.

Someone has already suggested having some sort of concensus required to delete something (and I'd just got it working how it was...). I will look into this more to see how feasible it is.

I agree though that really we don't need moderators for ourselves - I've found everyone generally is pretty good (even logical ). It is definitely aimed at idiots who may come just to cause trouble.

BTW: Angharad loves the chats too Larc - we'd love to meet up when we move over there !

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit