Christian Church Destroyed by ISIS Rebuilt by Muslim Residents

by cofty 11 Replies latest social current

• cofty
    cofty

Muslims in Mosul have helped rebuild a Christian church that had been destroyed by ISIS.

Iraq has one of the smallest, but oldest, Christian communities in the world but Isis oversaw the destruction of Iraqi churches, books and Christian spaces during their occupation of the city....

It's heartening to see both the military defeat of ISIS in Mosul and the desire for normal relationships shown by the inter-faith community.

There is hope.

• Simon
    Simon

Gad Saad often points out that while some Muslims were trying to kill them for being Jews, other Muslims sheltered them and helped them to escape from Lebanon.

We need to stop undermining the good people and strengthening the bad.

• JakeM2012
    JakeM2012

It is so encouraging at this time of the end to see the brothers working shoulder to shoulder. Zeph 3:9 (applause)

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

That article is all about " peacefully coexisting"

Why should it be otherwise?

Would any of us ever say to someone " your father was an alcoholic, and your whole family is dysfunctional. Therefore you are defective and abnormal?" It's absurd. So isn't it wonderful when people take a more " sober" view, in the inner faith community. Particularly when these people do more than simply " peacefully coexist" . They also become proactive in the community, thus demonstrating what " peacefully coexisting" in a multi culture society requires.

• TheWonderofYou
    TheWonderofYou

Another older picture of a church in Mossul.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

What this has required is for both sides to ignore the bits of their holy books that say non-believers are worth less than them and revert to basic human sentiments of love, respect and cooperation.

This is not about these people being good Muslims but, in reality, bad Muslims. Good for them.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Knoceptual99 " This is not about these people being "good" Muslims, but in reality, "bad" Muslims. Good for them.

The Rebel :- Whilst I agree with your sentiments, the crux, of the matter, is by doing what they did these Muslims, I am sure felt they were being "good " Muslims.

I think this is an important point, because I am sure if they felt they were being " bad" Muslims they wouldn't have done what they did?

When I was a Jehovers Witness I was incapable of shunning. I was called on it a couple of times by the elders, but I never could shun. It was like I was being told this person must be treated worse than an insect.

Not all people are in humun, and even if the religion is wrotten to the core, as long as "good"people exist in that religion, their is hope for reform.

I hope this post, doesn't come across as though I am playing with words. Actually my favorite bible story was always " The Good Samaritan" and Samaritans didn't believe in God. For me now regardless of what we believe, if we are " Good Samaritans" your ok with me.

• cofty
    cofty

Is it for us to say who is a real Muslim? Surely that cuts both ways.

Murdering children can be justified by the quran and hadith but if other Muslims read those edicts as belonging to an earlier time just as Christians interpret the old testament then more power to them.

I am not confident that Islam can reform but it's good to see glimmers of hope.

Notice that this cooperation was only possible as a result of successful military action. Sometimes you do have to fight for peace.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99
    I think this is an important point, because I am sure if they felt they were being " bad" Muslims they wouldn't have done what they did?

Of course. They were doing what they thought was good but there are a whole bunch of fundamentalists who would class them as apostates against their religion just as many Witnesses would see your actions in ignoring the command to shun as rebellious as opposed to simply being human.

• The Rebel
    The Rebel

Konceptual99 " " Of course. They were doing what they thought was good but there are a whole bunch of fundamentalists who would class them as apostates............"

The Rebel :- I agreee, totally, but I also believe, an army of fundamentalists, will never win and wipe out every bit of goodness in the heart of all its " members" , what ever the religion.( And if that's not the case, how do places like this exist?)

And I believe this because, I believe most people don't want to wipe each other out, regardless of their religion. That's not to say I didn't once look forward to Armageddon :-(

But I think, with intergration and the mixing of cultures we have an opportunity to beat fundermentalist control...for me that's personally a more palatable way to go.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit