J.W. Involved in Scam; on the Run

by Kenneson 16 Replies latest jw friends

• Kenneson
    Kenneson

The following story appears in the Washington Columbian, but is centered in Vancouver, Canada. Includes a whole family, but only one is listed as a Jehovah's Witness preacher.

http://www.columbian.com/10022003/clark_co/77858.html

• RunningMan
    RunningMan

Once again, the PR bug bites the society in the ass.

Honestly, I can't fathom the amount of bad press they are getting lately, from child molestation coverups, to elders assaulting old ladies in hospitals, to blood transfusion scandals, to murders, to pot smoking football players.

I think it's time for the society to circle the wagons and totally shut out all outside information (even moreso than they already do).

• Nathan Natas
    Nathan Natas

I do not understand people's reluctance to post at least a relevant extract from the article.

For example,

"...Miguel D. Hernandez-Garcia, also known as Michael Andrews, 22, and his sister, Melania Hernandez, also known as Melanie Marie Andrews, 21, failed to appear in Clark County Superior Court on Monday and are on the run, said Vancouver police Detective Ed Hewitt.

Hewitt described the siblings as part of a six-member family loan-fraud operation that included their mother, Milly H. Hernandez, 41, also known as Heidi Ruiz and Melinda Joy Grooms-Unruh, and grandmother, Ermina Hernandez, 69, also known as Herminia Ruiz...... Detectives said Melania Hernandez is a Jehovah's Witness preacher who went door to door visiting local residents' homes...."

See? Now Sister Hernandez is famous!

Advertise, Advertse, Advertise!!!

• Perry
    Perry

Sounds like the police think that Melanie may hay been the "scout" for the other scammers. Maybe she offered a mortgage along with a free home bible study.

"So you see Mrs. Householder, there is no need to re-pay this loan. The publication (not the bible) clearly shows that Armagedon will suddenly strike at anytime. The proceeds that my friends and I acquire from loans like these go toward expenses in finding other sheeplike people like yourself."

Uuuuugh. Can we say SLIME ?

• rocketman
    rocketman

Good one Perry...yep, maybe she was scouting 'em out while preaching.

• rocketman
    rocketman

Of course, if the WTS responds at all, they'll be sure to say she was "spritually weak, since she had not attended our meetings regularly for some time" or something like that.

• xjw_b12
    xjw_b12
    Of course, if the WTS responds at all, they'll be sure to say she was "spritually weak, since she had not attended our meetings regularly for some time" or something like that.

Of course if she was "scouting" as Perry suggested, she might well have been an "exemplary publisher" perhaps even a pioneer.... Melania Hernandez, aka Melanie Marie Andrews Famous JW

• Elsewhere
    Elsewhere
    When applying for loans, the suspects claimed they had just immigrated to the United States and had high-paying jobs as managers of Clean Start, a fictitious janitorial business, police said.

LMAO... they are even janitors in their scams! Don't JWs know how to do anything else?

• Perry
    Perry
    LMAO... they are even janitors in their scams!

Good one Elsewhere!

• qua
    qua

Here it is condensed and with the note about Melanie's affiliation at the start. Why not post on some other forums etc to help the police. I wonder if all the others were also JWs or had been their students? Most JWs don't steal but there are a lot who do and use the supposed honesty of being a JW as a mask.

VANCOUVER: Police said Melanie Hernandez, a Jehovah?s Witness, was with a loan-scam ring that fraudulently obtained 13 homes worth $3 million before leaving Vancouver, Washington, after two members were arrested and planning to jump bail. Miguel D. Hernandez-Garcia is also known as Michael Andrews, 22, his sister, Melania Hernandez, is also known as Melanie Marie Andrews, 21. They failed to appear in Clark County Superior Court on Monday and ran off according to Vancouver police Detective Ed Hewitt. The loan-fraud operation included their mother, Milly H. Hernandez, 41, aka Heidi Ruiz and Melinda Joy Grooms-Unruh, and grandmother, Ermina Hernandez, 69, aka Herminia Ruiz. Detective Troy Price said ?My feeling is they've been doing this in other places.? The group has ties with Florida. Call the police tip line at 360-696-8148. October 2, 2003 Columbian staff writer John Branton http://www.columbian.com/10022003/clark_co/77858.html

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit