Jesus as 'The mighty + almighty God'

by JW Answers 28 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• JW Answers
    JW Answers

Jehovah's witnesses refuse to believe that Jesus is the Almighty God. They would state that Jesus is 'mighty', but not almighty.

Below is a 30 minute video proving from the word of God that the Lord Jesus Christ is both Mighty and Almighty, separate from the Father but equal too.

The verses used from scripture show without a doubt that Christ is Mighty (Isaiah 9:6) and Almighty (Rev 1:7-8).

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat

In Rev 3:12 Jesus talks about ‘his God’. This shows that Jesus is lower than almighty God, who is his God.

Rev 1:1 says that the book is a Revelation from Jesus, which God “gave to him”. This shows that Jesus relies on almighty God for knowledge.

Rev 3:14 says that Jesus is “the beginning of the creation of God”.

Almighty God is the one speaking in Rev 1:8 as the text itself says.

All these, and more, show that Jesus is subject to almighty God.

I know you have no answer, as usual, but I leave these points below your latest pontification.

• Blotty
    Blotty

Should take a look at the LXX rendering of Isaiah 9:6 - does it say "Mighty God"? I think you'll find it says something very different.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Isaiah was not talking about some obscure itinerant preacher called Jesus of Nazareth. Isaiah is talking of an already anointed King, in his own time. To read back into this a "prophecy" for centuries later is a misuse of Scripture.

• Sea Breeze
    Sea Breeze

Christians have always maintained that Jesus was BOTH Man and God..... not one or the other. This is because that Jesus at times spoke as a man and at other times as God.

The notion that man is only a body is largely a modern convention that of the 17th - 19th centuries known as Materialism. Bible writers assume that reader understands that man is a tri-partite being with a spirit, a body, and a soul - all three of which are YOU ... indivduall or collectively. All three denote personhood in the bible. For example:

Job 32:8 But there is a spirit in man: and the inspiration of the Almighty giveth them understanding.

Isa 26:9 With my soul have I desired thee in the night; yea, with my spirit within me will I seek thee early:

1Co_5:3 For I verily, as absent in body, but present in spirit, have judged already, as though I were present, concerning him that hath so done this deed,

1Co_5:5 To deliver such an one unto Satan for the destruction of the flesh, that the spirit may be saved in the day of the Lord Jesus.

1Co_14:14 For if I pray in an unknown tongue, my spirit prayeth, but my understanding is unfruitful.

Rev. 6: 9 And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held

Notice all the personal pronouns ascribing personhood to the spirit and soul!

That's because man is a tri-partite being and bible writers assumed everyone knows this.... which they did until recent centurires:

1 Thessalonians 5:23 - And the very God of peace sanctify you wholly; and I pray God your whole spirit and soul and body be preserved blameless unto the coming of our Lord Jesus Christ.

Hebrews 4:12 - For the word of God is quick, and powerful, and sharper than any twoedged sword, piercing even to the dividing asunder of soul and spirit, and of the joints and marrow, and is a discerner of the thoughts and intents of the heart.

When I study the bible with former JW's, I don't even discuss the topic of Trinity. Instead, I try to get them to adopt a biblical view of our construction and leave the carefully chosen WT materialistic adaptations. If a person rejects materialism, then they have ususlly have no trouble viewing Jesus as both God and man, since his spirit is the essence of God, not his soul or body.

This perfectly explains how Jesus could say that the father was greater than him and at the same time declare that he posessed all power in heaven and earth.

In my opinion, any discussion that denies the nature of man FIRST, is a waste of time in discussing the nature of Jesus.

BTW, over 400 times in the OT the prophets declared, "thus saith the Lord". This phrase does not appear in the NT. But, 135 times Jesus said, "I say unto you". Interesting isn't it?

• punkofnice
    punkofnice

Firstly, prove to me that Jesus actually existed by using non bible evidence.

Even if Jesus is proven to have existed, you then need to prove he was as the Bible says. Then you have to prove the miracles happened and so on. You can't. Then it'd be a struggle to prove God exists.

I don't think anyone can because God and Jesus are just fiction that grifters use to get money and power.

Why do you believe all this stuff?

• Disillusioned JW
    Disillusioned JW

That is an excellent post you made punkofnice. However, I think there is a little non-biblical evidence (such as in a writing by Tacitus and a writing by Josephus) that Jesus existed (and that he claimed to be the King Messiah and that because of that the Romans executed him), but that evidence is debatable (though nearly all modern historians of the subject of the first century CE accept it). I think Jesus (as a non-supernatural being existed), but even if Jesus existed there is definitely no proof that Jesus performed miracles. He might have healed some illnesses by naturalistic means, but there is no non-biblical proof he healed anyone by supernatural means.

• slimboyfat
    slimboyfat
    Christians have always maintained that Jesus was BOTH Man and God..... not one or the other.

1 Timothy 2:5 says “For there is one God and one mediator between God and mankind, the man Christ Jesus.”

Originally Christians taught that Jesus was a man while on earth. The idea that he was God and man at the same time came in the fifth century at Chalcedon.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Council_of_Chalcedon

• hooberus
    hooberus

slimboyfat,

Do you believe that Jesus is a man now?

• peacefulpete
    peacefulpete

2000 years and countless lives later and Christians still can't agreed who they are supposed to worship.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit