Is it a once a week church now? Or can you skip that and listen on the phone?

by Xanthippe 12 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

I would like to outline what exactly this religion is now because I've lost track of all the changes on here. This forum's my only source of information as my family still-in shun me. So what do JWs do now?

Is it meetings twice a week or can you just go down to one without recriminations and listen on the phone to the other? Is there a convention of two days in the summer? Are circuit assemblies just one day and is there just one a year? Someone mentioned a while ago about not putting in FS reports but I didn't have time to read it and then I couldn't find it later. Was that just speculation?

It seems like as long as you keep your head down and don't tell people what you read, what movies you see, what trips you take etc., you can do more of what you want because you hardly seem to see the congregation any more.

I know my sister has a list of illnesses as long as your arm and has started walking with a stick according to my nonJW cousin. I'm wondering if basically my sister and possibly my other siblings are just JWs in name only and yet still shunning me. They might not have gone for years! Although I can't see my brother giving up his eldering. Even though at the last family funeral he looked huge and was swilling down the beer like nobody's business.

So it's not just idle curiosity I'm wondering what my family are actually required to do, minimum now? Thanks in advance for your help.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Two meetings a week. You can listen in on the phone if you are long term sick. Some regular attendees who are short term sick/away for work are sometimes given the code to get in over the phone but they discourage the regular use of this facility by any one they deem not worthy.

One Regional Convention in the summer. Three days.

Two one day Circuit Assemblies a year.

FS reports are still mandatory if you want to be considered as "active". "Irregular" is still not reporting for one month. "Inactive" is still 6 months or more consecutive non reporting.

Keeping your head down and doing what you like has been the order of the day for years.

For elders and MS it's still about being seen to be doing the right stuff but you still get the elders who swan off organising everyone but don't do any work. Licking backside is still the route to circuit assembly and RC assignments.

The JW definition of spirituality is still as much about what you are seen to be doing as any notion of connection to God/Jesus let alone thinking about help out those in need in the community.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Thanks konceptual. So I suppose as one of my sisters has type two diabetes and the one I mentioned seems to have a new illness every year it's possible they haven't been for years and listen on the phone.

• konceptual99
    konceptual99

Yup - no comment on your sisters but the number of Witnesses with ME, fibromyalgia, anxiety, depression and other illnesses that let you spend lots of time doing nothing is incredible. There are undoubtedly genuine cases but there are also plenty of "me too" kop outs.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yes ME and fibromyalgia are two of her illnesses! That's what I suspected, thanks. So basically she's not a practising witness anymore just a nominal one by the sounds of it. Interesting.

So I guess lying about your health is not a sin but saying you cannot believe the nonsense anymore is.

Although of course health problems do multiply in that religion because the body can only take so much guilting and negativity.

• scratchme1010
    scratchme1010

...but they discourage the regular use of this facility by any one they deem not worthy.

They just don't effing get it. It would be funny if they weren't playing with people's lives and well being.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe

Yeah scratchme1010 I thought anyone could listen by phone. So I suppose if they don't think you're 'worthy' and yet you're long term sick or depressed you still get branded spiritually sick for missing meetings. Well it gets elders out of caring for you which is the name of the game!

• Wakanda
    Wakanda

A sister was recently concerned with an "inactive" one. The "inactive" was listening on the phone, and "even turns in time!" Still labeled inactive which says a lot. Judge much? Oh, also, gossip much? How does she know the "inactive" one turns in time?

Xan: You get branded spiritually sick even if you are considered "worthy", at least by most (90%). It is how they've been "mentally regulated"(brainwashed). Also, they may come and "shepherd" you to find out your "story" to judge if you are worthy of being on the phone. Gosh, wish I could say more, but cannot at this time. Apologies.

Thank you for your comment Scratchme.

• steve2
    steve2

Secondary gain from illnesses creates the perfect world for small minds: You are ill so you cannot do as much as you should. Illnesses give JWs a fantastic excuse to cruise their way to the new system of things. Little wonder, local congregations have so very many ill and infirm among their number.

• Xanthippe
    Xanthippe
    Xan: Also, they may come and "shepherd" you to find out your "story" to judge if you are worthy of being on the phone. - Wakanda

Wow do they have to get a sick note form the doctor?

Secondary gain from illnesses creates the perfect world for small minds: You are ill so you cannot do as much as you should. Illnesses give JWs a fantastic excuse to cruise their way to the new system of things. - Steve2

But those who are faking it or making more of ill health than they should, what about their seeing-all God? Do any of these who are left in,actually still believe in God I wonder sometimes. Not that I do but aren't they supposed to ......?

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit