How many have left the WTS and joined another church/group?

by BLISSISIGNORANCE 62 Replies latest jw friends

• ozziepost
    ozziepost
    While WT accuses the foundation of the Christian Church and does not accept the Apostolic Succesion that was established by Apostole Paul through the Holy Spirit, still WT ACCEPTS the Books of BIBLE that thery were set from those that WT accuses as APOSTATES from the True Teachings of Christ. Doesn't make sence!!!

No, it doesn't, does it, justhuman.

Just add it to the long list of inconsistencies in Watchower theology.

Cheers, Ozzie

• Narkissos
    Narkissos

First of all I must admit I loved this thread and the tremendous variety of its contributions.

Like many French people, I was born and baptized as a Roman catholic, though my folks were not churchgoers at all. In 1972, at the age of 13, I became a JW with part of my family. Despite some serious doubts in my teen years, I decided to move on and became a pioneer, then a Bethel member. I spent 5 years translating the Watchtower and other WT literature, especially large sections of the "Aid" book which gave me the desire to understand the Bible better, and led me to learn Hebrew and Greek on my own. Gradually my faith changed: the figure of Jesus, as it appeared in the Gospels, was becoming central to me, and the WT's specific beliefs, at best, receded into the background.

Hoping to come back to a basic "Christian" preaching, I resigned from Bethel and resumed my previous activity as a "special pioneer". But my practice was now different. I gradually stopped using WT literature and concentrated on the Bible itself, within and without the congregation. I had very good experiences in "Bible studies" which were really "Bible studies". However, it couldn't last very long. Together with a fellow pioneer, who had reached similar conclusions through a very different way, I partook in the 1986 Memorial. Two months later we were both disfellowshipped for "apostasy" -- although the initial motive for being dragged before a "Judicial Committee" was simply that "we were talking too much about Jesus"...

This is to explain that when I came out of the WT I was on a definitely religious path, and I only found natural to go on this way. So shortly afterwards I was attending an Evangelical Church in Paris and began theological studies. However, I soon realized that I would not agree with Evangelical theology. I then worked during many years in the French Bible Society, on a new Study Bible which came out last year. Having to review the whole Bible in detail with the best available scholars led me to an increasingly critical analysis of the Christian faith, though I kept associating from time to time with a pluralistic Reformed church. The end of my religious journey came with the birth of my daughter, nearly seven years ago: I suddenly realized that I didn't want her to grow with a religious belief. Since then I very rarely enter any church, except for cultural purposes. When, on such occasions, I tell my daughter about "God" or "Jesus", it is much like a "fairy tale" she can get in... and out.

I still find the Bible and Christian theology interesting, from a literary and ideological standpoint. I keep participating from time to time in "theological discussions" with liberal Christians (including some Unitarians) who can accept my fairly "atheistic" and "postchristian" views even if they don't agree with them. That's all, I guess.

• BLISSISIGNORANCE
    BLISSISIGNORANCE

Some very interesting responses.

Look forward to more..................and thanks!

Cheers. Bliss

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit