Manners and Respectfulness

by IWant2Know 11 Replies latest watchtower beliefs

• IWant2Know
    IWant2Know

I would like to know if there are any ex's or formers who still appreciate good manners and respectfulness?

• Balaamsass2
    Balaamsass2

I think ex-JWs have better manners.

Rutherford ranted about "worldly" manners and etiquette.

Few JWs send cards or flowers.

JWs tend to be judgemental and gossip.

• IWant2Know
    IWant2Know

Sorry about the duplicate thread, but it wouldn't go through at first.

• LV101
    LV101

WT and society in general needs to have Cotillion, etiquette classes, social-skills workshops, manners class -- something.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

There's a limit of two new posts a day. Trying to put another one through will just clog up the system. I ended up with four duplicate threads when I first started posting here. Post only two new threads a day and wait 24 hours before trying again.

• NotFormer
    NotFormer

Given that (from what many people have posted here) JWs are taught to disdain outsiders (or "The World") and even fellow JWs who are "less spiritual", I wouldn't be surprised if manners weren't a high priority in Dubdom. (I've met plenty of nice JWs, though)

• DNCall
    DNCall

There was actually a drama recorded on the subject of manners as it was thought by some of the GB that it was needed. I know about this because I was assigned to compose the music for it. As I recall, Jack Barr was involved in the production and played the principal elder by means of voiceover. Long story short, it was never used on a convention program. This was not too long after Jack died.

• moley
    moley

Sorry but what are you getting at. Are you implying that because we are no longer part of that hateful cult that we won’t have good manners and be respectful, personally I find that offensive. Apart from the fact that a large amount of JW’s are arrogant, rude and have no respect for those who do not believe or in some cases even fellow believers that don’t fit into their little cliques and little fiefdoms

• LV101
    LV101

There are many well-mannered JWs and XJWs. A few ill-mannered ones/experiences seem to mar the good in our minds. I'm always impressed with manners/respect displayed by young people -- most parents are doing a good job.

• IWant2Know
    IWant2Know

moley said:

15 hours ago
    Sorry but what are you getting at. Are you implying that because we are no longer part of that hateful cult that we won’t have good manners and be respectful, personally I find that offensive.

I know. And that's why I added: "But I hope this question isn't offensive to this forum" in the duplicate thread.

Manners and Respectfulness (jehovahs-witness.com)

Also, I added a little anecdote in that thread where I said:

• Well, with all joking aside, sometimes it seems as if ex-JWs are playing the role that they think they should play... Kind of like a self-fulfilling prophecy from what scriptures says about people who stop serving God.

I've even had a friend who was disfellowshipped and he seemed to be, or tried to act as ornery as he could. And I had even faded at the time that I saw him, but he was very mean-spirited and kind of surprised me.

Take care now.

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit