"Besides, We Give Gifts Throughout the Year!"

by Swan 32 Replies latest jw experiences

• Swan
    Swan

So what I seem to be hearing here is that with a few exceptions, it was just another line of crap that the Watchtower programmed us to say.

I know I got some wrapped gifts when I got baptized. I felt funny about that, because I thought it was what I was supposed to do. It made me feel bad when friends saw my new watch and they didn't get anything for getting baptized.

Every year my parents anniversary was a big deal at our house, because it was the only "holiday" we could celebrate. We kids would plan and scrape to give them gifts. At first, they were rather embarrasssing, because kids don't have much money and aren't very experienced. My first wrapped gift to my mom was a plastic cheese grater and bowl. Dad got a wrapped can of Right Guard. (I was a kid; from the TV ads I thought it was some kind of men's cologne!) It was all I could afford since I didn't get an allowance and I earned it washing Grandpa's dishes and collecting bottles on the side of the road. But from those meagre gifts I learned how to be generous and give better, more thoughtful gifts.

We got some regular toys, of course, at times. But so did other kids. So mostly it was just a line we gave at the door when people asked.

Tammy

• Dawn
    Dawn

I think I need to celebrade Christmas every day during this coming December to make up for lost time. Honey? You hear that? Buy me lots of toys!

I start making my homemade Kahluah in November - I'll have to bring you some to ring in your first Christmas Season! (ps.......drink carefully......it's approx 60 proof Kahluah )

• bebu
    bebu

Last time I gave my dub friend a gift, I don't remember if I wrapped it or not. From this thread, I know that from now on I will only give her gifts that have been carefully wrapped in very nice paper.

bebu

• waiting
    waiting

Sooooooooooooo, it's better to get shitty gifts wrapped nicely or nice gifts without wrapping?

lol - I'll keep that in mind this Christmas.

But I too missed the wrapped gifts, surprises, etc., when becoming a jw. Especially when younger, my kids got a good deal of gifts - and I made sure they were wrapped with ribbons and big bows. Kids do love that. I made the grandmothers (one who wasn't a jw and hated to wrap gifts) give their gifts wrapped - and they weren't too happy about that either.

My kids did miss out on the celebration of the holidays (and we make up for it now) - but they definitely dressed as nice as any other kids (Nike, Polo, etc) and had equivelent toys.

Not all jw parents were total shits. Some? yeah. But so were some of the kids.

waiting

• bebu
    bebu

Lol, waiting. Good for you with your kids.

I gave my dub friend gifts that she liked, but for the life of me I can't remember if I just put them in a gift bag, or wrapped them, or just brought them in while we were drinking coffee. In one way, it really doesn't matter; but until now I never realized that she probably never had many (if any) opportunities to UNWRAP something--which can be a really fun and exciting moment by itself. (I still love it.)

I'm often too pragmatic, waiving off certain things as silly or useless. I have to keep in mind that an extra kindness is often better than being pragmatic, and wrapping a gift is a simple extra touch showing love to anybody.

bebu

• drwtsn32
    drwtsn32
    I start making my homemade Kahluah in November - I'll have to bring you some to ring in your first Christmas Season! (ps.......drink carefully......it's approx 60 proof Kahluah )

Thanks Dawn!! That would be so great!

• Jimmer
    Jimmer

I never received gifts when I was a child. Deprived? YES!

Now, I like getting them.

• Funchback
    Funchback

Swan said:

Dad got a wrapped can of Right Guard.

BWAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!

I know it came from your heart but, still, it IS funny!

• iiz2cool
    iiz2cool

My mother became a JW first in our family, and I did some years later. No other family members were ever JW's. Once she became a witness, no one ever received any gifts from her again. Not her children, grand children, or great grand children. But she was always quick to use the statement that "we give gifts all year round".

Walter

• pamkw
    pamkw

One time we actually got gifts wrapped in paper. I think my mom did it because she was so guilty that she left with my step dad and us older kids has to watch the younger kids. I remember it because I was so shocked that we got gifts. Otherwise we never got a present wrapped in paper. I purposely wrap a gift for my neice, and give it a week before Christmas. But now my sister expects it. She calls and asks if we are giving her daughter a gift, as it would not be fair that the cousins (my brothers kids) will brag and make her daughter feel bad. Don't know why my sister can't do it herself. Pam

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit