Do you know MORE about the bible NOW?

by stuckinarut2 17 Replies latest watchtower bible

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

Stuck said "the Society drummed into us: "When reading a section of 'God's word', ask yourself what does this teach me about Jehovah?"Well, I did that, and it taught me that "jehovah" is not a very nice entity at all! "

This quote came to mind :

"The God of the Old Testament is arguably the most unpleasant character in all fiction: jealous and proud of it; a petty, unjust , unforgiving control freak; a vindictive, bloodthirsty ethnic cleanser; a misogynistic, homophobic, racist, infanticidal, genocidal, filicidal, pestilential, megalomaniacal, sadomasochistic, capriciously malevolent bully." (Richard Dawkins.)

As you read the Bible as Vid. says, without JW Specs on, you see the truth of R.D's words.

• stuckinarut2
    stuckinarut2

Great quote Phizzy!

I have always loved that one since waking up - it is SO true!

If a human committed the acts that are attributed to Jehovah in the Bible, we would rightly lock them up in prison!

• EverApostate
    EverApostate

Of course, I know more about the Bible now, especially those Silly, cruel, Unscientific and inhumane things that we didn’t hear in the KH (Or blindly Justified)

Very often I wonder now, what an Idiot I had been to believe this Crap called the Bible

• snakeface
    snakeface

Yep. When we are no longer influenced by WT poison, and are minds are open, we can see clearly. I was one who read the Bible cover to cover every year for 25 years. My personal study was the Insight Book and all the other deep stuff. But once you see the light all the falsehoods crumble.

• Finkelstein
    Finkelstein

I'm certainly in more acceptance that much of the bible writings from its beginning to its end is is fictional, a problem that a lot of humanity hasn't come to realize or accept.

• Steel
    Steel

Once i realized terms like son of man and word of the lord were actually rooted in the old testament, it became pretty obvious the writers of the new testament thought of Jesus as some kind of manifestion of Yahweh of the old testament. It would be like watching Star Wars and not realizing Darth Vader was the father of Luke Skywalker.

Not saying i can put a pretty little bow around it but at least I can admit it all doesn't make sense or I can admit I don't it all.

The idea of god The father revealing himself though the son makes more sense than god torturing his favorite angel to death.

I am still highly interested in Christian theology for some strange reason.

• Vidiot
    Vidiot
    Steel - "I am still highly interested in Christian theology for some strange reason."

It's not that strange.

I'm a fan of fantasy, horror, and graphic violence, too.

:smirk:

• jhine
    jhine

When l have spoken to Witnesses at the door it always strikes me how little they know the Bible . What worries me is when l hear a non church goer of any flavour saying how much the JWs DO know about the Bible . It means that with a few cherry picked verses people who don't know differently can be taken in by this group .

Something else that worries me is how many people swap from viewing the Bible through JW tinted lenses and start viewing it through Dawkins' tinted lenses . This is as one sided a viewpoint as the other .

Jan

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit