Do You Know Of Anyone That Has Seen A Therapist Because Of Being A Witness?

by minimus 29 Replies latest jw friends

• minimus
    minimus

I really don’t know of many people who got into therapy because of their JW dealings but I would think that if someone remains depressed or severely affected by their past Witness life, it’s not a bad idea to speak to someone to get you on the right path. I think this site has been very therapeutic for many over the years.

• hoser
    hoser

A buddy of mine did while he was a jw. Going to the psychologist helped him leave the religion. He’s still a bit messed up but thats the result of being raised jw.

• mickbobcat
    mickbobcat

I had one for a while. Any therapist worth their salt will know you were in a very bad cult.

• zachias
    zachias

I have. Still under mental health. helps? oh yes.

• dubstepped
    dubstepped

Yes, many have seen counselors of a variety of types because much trauma is caused by the cult. Many also go into the field after leaving and going to college in part to heal themselves. I myself have a life coaching practice and I work with many ex-JWs and ex-other groups every day to help them heal and move forward. It is extremely common.

• Phizzy
    Phizzy

I too consulted a Therapist/Psychologist , if I hadn't I would not be here. The Cult life had left me severely depressed to the point of suicide. I would have killed myself without doubt had I not had the help of an understanding Therapist who knew how to treat people like XJW's .

Sadly some people who set up as Therapists are not very qualified, or they do not understand the Cult experience, but fortunately mine had a string of Letters after her name and was skilled, and had previously treated a number of XJW's.

If you need help get it, and I hope you find someone able to help you live your life to the full and be happy. We deserve that.

• zachias
    zachias

It is vital to ask any counsellor you intend to go to if they are experienced with cults. If they are not they are likely to see the wt as just another religion.

• john.prestor
    john.prestor

I knew a JW who met with a JW counselor. You can imagine how that went.

• LongHairGal
    LongHairGal

MINIMUS:

Yes, I know of more than one ex-JW who needed therapy because of bad experiences in the religion. I never did go for therapy but I suppose it wouldn’t have hurt if I did initially. But, I managed anyway.

I’m so glad I re-established contact with family and other relatives before it was too late. This was priceless to me and I didn’t care much about anything else. I was still working and glad I wasn’t stupid enough to quit my job!

Everybody has different experiences in the JW religion and they have different issues.

What did help me were forums like this and the book Crisis of Conscience.

• OnTheWayOut
    OnTheWayOut

I "got into therapy because of [my] JW dealings" but really- it was because of unresolved issues that led to me becoming a JW and then elders telling me I did not need (nor could I trust) worldly counseling.

I think that most ex-JW's, and for that matter- most people, could use therapy for 6 months or longer.

Edit to add: If you have any issues at all (and who doesn't?), check out Bonnie Zieman's books. Bonnie is an ex-JW and a counselor.
    https://www.amazon.com/EXiting-JW-Cult-Handbook-Witnesses/dp/1508477132/ref=sr_1_4?dchild=1&qid=1622126334&refinements=p_27%3ABonnie+Zieman&s=books&sr=1-4

Share this

Google+
Pinterest
Reddit